What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?

Wags

What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?  

1875 members have voted

1. 1. What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?

• Joint Helmet Mounted Cuing System (JHMCS)
    • ATFLIR Targeting Pod
    • HARM
    • Guided Bombs
    • Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS)
    • Air to Surface Radar
    • Data Link (MIDS / Link-16 / IFF)
    • A/A Radar TWS/RAID/AZ EL/LTWS
    • Harpoon
    • SLAM / SLAM-ER

I dont know it its even a thought, but I would love some sort of an option to do an assisted in flight refueling. I am having alot of frustrating times, trying to get good at it. Id love to option to just get in the pre hook up position, then have some sort of autopilot option to fly it in and hold it.

Of the choices listed, Id say gotta be the "Harpoon"

I tempted to say yes for a simple AAR option especially for those missions that require you to refuel in the air but I am all for true realism.

AAR refueling is really quite difficult as I have read in real life.

It has been random success for me with no more than a 10 seconds connection occasionally.

Case 1 recovery was so similarly frustrating at first but I got that after some practice.

Mystery to me why AAR is still a pain after all the YouTube tutorials I have watched and tweaking of my hotas.

I am still hurting the satisfaction that results from a successful AAR.

Common prescription on the forum is practice practice and practice.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those struggling with AAR, the best tip I have is to stop trying to AAR and just practise formation flying - just jump on the aerobatics server and follow the KC130 around and try and stay as close as you can and as 'still' as you can for as long as you can. That'll teach you the throttle movements to stay in the box for AAR - once you're comfortable you should be able to plug in, push forward a little and stay there till you're topped off. I used to hate AAR until I did this.

I may be offering a less popular request but I would like to see a Hornet version with less capabilities, such as was seen in the late 80's and early 90's or at least pre-HMCS and AIM-9X. This would put it on a more even capability level with the majority of other current and planned DCS modules and allow for more realistic scenarios/missions/campaigns.

A more attractive module price would be an excellent incentive for a lot of us setting on the sidelines, wanting to buy this module.

I believe this is why we are seeing the free Hornet, Persian Gulf and Su-33 weekend. Sales may not be what they were hoping and the free weekend will serve to attract those sitting on the sidelines.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

A more attractive module price would be an excellent incentive for a lot of us setting on the sidelines, wanting to buy this module.

It was sold at pre-order at a discount. There is also a discount on the bundle starting on the 2nd. I'm sure your boss would be incentivized to pay you less....

Either pay the price or wait until it goes on sale, it's a brand new module, no reason to complain about the price.

I may be offering a less popular request but I would like to see a Hornet version with less capabilities, such as was seen in the late 80's and early 90's or at least pre-HMCS and AIM-9X. This would put it on a more even capability level with the majority of other current and planned DCS modules and allow for more realistic scenarios/missions/campaigns.
Your idea can be achieved by the Mission Designer; no reason to develop a totally new module to achieve what you want. No one flies DCS because things are "even." It's up to you as a pilot to fly your aircraft in a way that maximizes your airframe's capabilities while minimizing your opponents.

I believe this is why we are seeing the free Hornet, Persian Gulf and Su-33 weekend. Sales may not be what they were hoping and the free weekend will serve to attract those sitting on the sidelines.
No, just no. ED has already stated that it was their best selling module and they were very happy with sales.

Now it can always be better, that is a given. What I believe is ED is looking to capture newer pilots that have never flown DCS before. When ED made DCS World free, there was an influx of players. Some of those turned into paying customers.

I'm sure ED has access to data on Steam Free Weekends and the conversion rate of players. Just like they have data on when is the best time to have sales and what discount elicits the higher number of "fence sitters" to turn into buyers. Free Weekends is simply another strategy for ED to increase the player base.

The only thing I saw wrong about the Free Weekend was that there was not enough publicity on Steam. I think that is a great tool that was not fully utilized. The notifications on the forum will be missed by all except for the current player base.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I'll leave the younger guys with better eyes to do the fleet defense and A/A work. I bought the F/A-18 for the 'A' part and want to pound ground targets. My vote is for:

ATFLIR > SEAD Capability > Smart Bombs

At least then I can launch from shore or boat, refuel, attack and return home ....rinse & repeat.

Another thought might be basing some development criteria/priority on the evolution of the platform itself.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Ground radar but I'm not sure ED knows how to make it work within acceptable performance limits. I highly doubt we will see this anytime in the near future!

The word your looking for is vulkan.;) ED Knows...

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I'm wondering why there was a survey which feature should be implemented for the Hornet most, if you do not stick to it ...The HARM and the ATFLIR was the winner, the JHMCS we get first...

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

I'm wondering why there was a survey which feature should be implemented for the Hornet most, if you do not stick to it ...The HARM and the ATFLIR was the winner, the JHMCS we get first...

They were probably looking at all of the work effort; some of it may have been on schedule, some may be ahead of schedule and some may be behind schedule. They may also have items that they realized needed more time to get right.

By having a poll it allows ED to prioritize work in relation to what people are most wanting to see. If the work effort lines up with community expectations. This allows them to be more agile in their development.

No where does it say they are going to develop according to the poll. Only that this gives them a direction if some things needed more time and no one had it high on their list - so to speak.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

• ED Team

We wanted to know what was the most popular, but that wont dictate development, there other things to consider, such as the complexity of the system, unforeseen challenges, and just man hours.

One system could bypass another because of these or other issues.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

This poll is missing the option: "Awacs declare"

I've already shot down several good guy's now :D

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

We wanted to know what was the most popular, but that wont dictate development, there other things to consider, such as the complexity of the system, unforeseen challenges, and just man hours.

One system could bypass another because of these or other issues.

Okay, from this point of view, it makes sense. Then I misunderstood this poll. I understood this survey as meaning that ED asks the community what they would most like to have and then focuses on the development. That would have been something! :smilewink:

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Man this is way overdue

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

HARM, quickly followed by Harpoon and surface radar.

Same here.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I believe that the logic required for this relies on a datalink implementation (no way for AWACS to know what you're locking otherwise), which is currently absent in the F-18. Then there is a the separate issue in that the AWACS doesn't always answer this request from planes that do have it. Having it fail outside of burn through range isn't as urgent as needing to IFF something much closer. Heck it would be useful having AI aircraft report buddy spike, to maybe mitigate some tanker/awacs fratricides.

Seeing as how the Tomcat, an interceptor/fleet defense fighter is being released in a couple months with LANTIRN and LGBs, would be really nice for the Hornet to be able to at least match the turkey's A2G capabilities with our *strike fighter* ...

Seeing as how the Tomcat, an interceptor/fleet defense fighter is being released in a couple months with LANTIRN and LGBs, would be really nice for the Hornet to be able to at least match the turkey's A2G capabilities with our *strike fighter* ...
Agreed, a little more focus air to ground instead of leaving it in the most minimalist condition possible till air to air is complete would be nice.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Looking forward to (if they have any plans for it) they make it possible to fly this plane in game (easy mode). NOT because I have any problem using it in "sim mode" but because if I fly with my friend online, he can only (for personal reasons) fly the planes he have in "game mode" but then my F18 will not work if I join him.

yeah it's been almost 10 months since the pre purchase. it would be good to have some toys already.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5