Couple-a-questions

Cunning_Fox

As I'm reading the godawful English manual, I can't help but get lots of questions, so I wanted to post them here as I progress further:

Com and VLOC What are they for exactly? What are the frequencies for? What are the standby ones for? Manual does not really describe them at all.

Also, does anyone have a link to the Russian manual?

Also, why can I not see the sea, except in Nav Terrain mode? In the manual it is shown, but my screen is all black with just landmarks. Refering to the default Nav page you get when you press CLR for 2 seconds.

Also, on the WPTFreq page, the ENT button does not seem to assign the Tower frequency to VLOC, even after VLOC standby frequency is selected. According to the manual - it should.

Why do some pages like WPTApr have ALL the items on the menu greyed out? When you press the menu button, you can't select anyting.

On Waypoint Arrival page nothing can be selected, even if airports are changed. ARRIVAL, TRANS or RUNWAY cannot be modified and display NONE.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

COM and VLOC are for tuning your on-board radio and VOR receivers, neither of which work because 1) very few aircraft use VOR to begin with and 2) there is no integration between the NS430 and on-board systems in any aircraft.

Really, all of your questions are not really an issue with the manual but with a simple case of “it's not done yet— maybe in the future.”

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

So, VOR or VORTAC is esentially a TACAN, and these frequencies are for two beacons to discern your actual position and distance without the use of GPS?

That's what the VLOC is for? The frequencies should be from the beacons on the map?

WPTInt:

"intersections can only be selected by their identifier" What does that even mean? What are intersections?

I can chose the true vs magnetic north for determining the bearing to closest VOR? Where?

----

I'm not even half-way through the manual, and either I pressed something that greyed out most of the options or A LOT of this module is missing.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

Weeeeell… kind of, yes. The differences between the different beacons don't particularly matter for these purposes, but yes, you're supposed to tune to beacons spread across the map.

Except that, as mentioned, very few aircraft have proper VOR receivers that could display the signal if the NS430 was wired into them (which it isn't), and that the maps don't really have any beacons for you to tune to (unless you add them manually, same as with the ARK-UD for the Mi-8 ). It it existed and the modules involved supported full integration, the NS430 would simply act as a remote to the VHF and VOR equipment already on the plane, but neither the integration nor the equipment is really there.

So you can pretty much ignore any and all features that relate to COM or VOR until the module matures and this feature is added.

Intersections are essentially pre-defined nav points along or, as the name suggest, at the intersections of pre-defined flight corridors. IRL, you'd have a huge database of such nav points loaded into your GPS (factory-provided and/or updated via various digital media) and you use those along with a route planning tool to set up your trip. If you play around on https://skyvector.com/ you can see some of them, and some campaigns actually reference them in their kneeboards. Again, this is something that isn't fully built in, although there's functionality in the mission editor to define such fix points that some modules (notably the A-10C and Ka-50) will let you reference.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧