Canopy - reflections

Kelevra

Hi,

addendum : When using OCULUS RIFT !

am I the only one to find the canopy's reflections inconvenient when being engage into dogfight.

Some other aircrafts have dirty canopies which makes the things even worst,

the mig15's one are clean, that's a good thing.

But still the interior reflections are IMO not of the greatest effect and tend to make tracks of targets a notch more difficult.

Edited by Kelevra
added precision
  • Like 1

Yes, the reflections make things very difficult when trying to keep your eye on someone. Spotting is hard enough in DCS, no need to make it more difficult with dirty cockpits and reflections.

Hopefully someone will come out with a mod soon. :)

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm sorry for my feedback but this canopy and reflexion is perfect for me...

Bye Skull.

Hello,

I'm sorry for my feedback but this canopy and reflexion is perfect for me...

Bye Skull.

+1

Maybe someone will make a mod for this issue for the folks who are uncomfortable with the status quo

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

+1

No problems here too,I guess it's just down to personal preference.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

I made a small mod here. just the canopy reflection toned down a bit nothing more.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2335559#post2335559

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

There should be an option for the pilot to wipe the screen using a cloth :D

For BF109 is a must... I did it cause I was chasing flies on my canopy like mad in online gaming :D .

For the MiG though... I think is exaggerated... is nice and realistic for scenery flights but when you actually try to spot something outside especially in dogfight it gets in the way and here is the difference from Real Life... our brains/minds filter the reflections after making them blurry by focusing the eyes outside. From the same issue suffers also Sabre I think after one of the last patches.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Yes... that's why I said it's realistic but also realistic is the fact that we can filter them out with our minds by focusing outside of the distance the reflected object is, the reflected object becomes blurry and can be filtered out easily by the brain. Much like people with glasses don't see dirt on them all the time.

In game you can't move the focus point so the reflection is perfect all the time and can't be de-focused.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes... that's why I said it's realistic but also realistic is the fact that we can filter them out with our minds by focusing outside of the distance the reflected object is, the reflected object becomes blurry and can be filtered out easily by the brain. Much like people with glasses don't see dirt on them all the time.

In game you can't move the focus point so the reflection is perfect all the time and can't be de-focused.

BINGO!

the reflexion can be significant :

I like it too :).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

This is precisely the question I wanted to ask. Notice in the video how the camera is focussed at the instrument panel which is about the same distance as the canopy.

In fact we focus beyond the window pane, or canopy in an aircraft - you can do this in your car. I wonder if the graphics are somehow interpreting this issue incorrectly.

The Mustang is bad enough but the Sabre is not only covered in reflections, it is mottled and streaked too. Hard to believe you'd send a man into combat with that disadvantage.

Anyone here flying that can look into this in a pragmatic way?

EDIT: I meant to attach examples. The Sabre problem is obvious. The Rapide view - although different lighting circumstances and a flat glass - has the camera focussed beyond the window. The reflections are no-where near as intrusive against the landscape and as someone pointed out, our brain seems to be able to filter the problem out in RL.

EDIT2: Over the weekend I sat in a Hunter cockpit. Although the light sources are only large fluourescent lights there is a definite difference between looking AT the reflection on the canopy and looking through it.

SabreReflection.thumb.jpg.ad7e7b947af683be909db0c2db9718f5.jpg

RapideReflection.thumb.jpg.80d42513d44a236236ddb5077b1e49ee.jpg

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention that the reflections issue appear while using a Virtual Reality device (Oculus Rift DK2)

When I play on my desktop screen with trackIr, the reflections are fine for me too.

Edited by Kelevra