Cannons not weak!

billeinstein

Interesting. I just went to repeat the mission and that E2 took an elephant load of shots to go down. I thought maybe I just had an unlucky experience, so I tried it again, three times, same result: that E2 takes a lot more hits to go down than I first experienced.

My original experience was in the Open Beta, this last was in the public release. Later I'll try it again in Open Beta to see if there's a difference in the cannon effectiveness between the two.

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

Open Beta doesn't seem to have an effect, I had similar experiences in both versions of the game. I tried the mission again today and it took some 40 23mm rounds and 20 37mm rounds to take it down. Most of the hits were on the fuselage and that might be the problem. Damage to that antenna and all the electronics in the back would certainly be very expensive to repair but nonetheless unlikely to compromise the plane's ability to fly...

What you experienced there may be a DM glitch of some kind, because the cannons are NOT too weak. Flying this same mission I repeatedly managed to down the bugger with just a short burst from the 23mm.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

What you experienced there may be a DM glitch of some kind, because the cannons are NOT too weak. Flying this same mission I repeatedly managed to down the bugger with just a short burst from the 23mm.

I'm needing quite a bit of 23mm to down the E2, however I can always rely on 2-3 shots of 37mm to put her down. Usually with the entire fuselage on fire and massive amounts of visually appealing holes throughout. :)

My Specs:

Win 10 Pro 64bit/ i7 6770K 4.5Ghz/32GB DDR4/ GTX 1070 SC/Samsung SSD

Warthog Stick/TWCS Throttle/TrackIR 5

It seems to be a matter of shot placement - put the shells in the right place and she goes down. Scatter your hits across the E-2D and you'll put a lot of holes in places, but less likely to bring her down.

Here's an approach that consistently works for me:

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

I just bagged my first F-86 and all I will say is the MiG isn't armed with 50 cals. When the 37 mm crossed the Saber it disintegrated.

I also really have to say that the lack of FPS killing gun smoke makes even more difference than I imagined when it comes to aiming. The Saber's gunsight means nothing until ED fixes the smoke. Five minutes with the MiG, not even using its sight, and I'm already a better shot.

EDIT

Messed with the E-2 in the ME. It looks like if you don't concentrate fire, it will absorb a lot of punishment. Engines go down easily and when they do, it's over. I guessed at first that the fuselage might be overly tough, but a well aimed burst set it on fire pretty easily. This was all with the 23 mm.

If we could damage control surfaces, or maybe if the wings/tail were a bit weaker it might solve the problem.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files