A better zoom veiw in VR - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
the_soupdragon

Default A better zoom veiw in VR

I really dont like the way zoom works in VR.
the elastic band feel of it and the deformation of the view is really really jarring.

I really wish we could have the zoom view work like it does on a flat screen.

SD
Old 03-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
cercata

I don't see how ... when zooming in 3D you compress the depth, and if you "pan" while zooming, the pan speed is incresed.

x2 zoom => 1/2 depth, x2 pan speed
x4 zoom => 1/4 depth, x4 pan speed

It's not nice, but I don't see how it could be done otherwise, it happens the same in other games.

When VR has better resolution, VR zoom should be removed, and the only zoom should happen from optical elements in the plane, like a bombing sight on a PE-2
cercata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Mr_sukebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cercata View Post
I don't see how ... when zooming in 3D you compress the depth, and if you "pan" while zooming, the pan speed is incresed.

x2 zoom => 1/2 depth, x2 pan speed
x4 zoom => 1/4 depth, x4 pan speed

It's not nice, but I don't see how it could be done otherwise, it happens the same in other games.

When VR has better resolution, VR zoom should be removed, and the only zoom should happen from optical elements in the plane, like a bombing sight on a PE-2
Good luck then trying to remove the zoom from monitor users, who already have the better resolution.
You’ll also face the argument of pilots using binoculars to spot ground targets, which is a fair point, but doesn’t feel quite right when you’re talking of using zoom during a dogfight.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
cercata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
Good luck then trying to remove the zoom from monitor users, who already have the better resolution.
You’ll also face the argument of pilots using binoculars to spot ground targets, which is a fair point, but doesn’t feel quite right when you’re talking of using zoom during a dogfight.
They have better resolution, but they see things in a reduced scale, so I wouldn't remove it on monitor.

And for binoculars, it could be a really nice option, but then they should make them real, and the FOV should be smaller, it would take time to use them, etc ...

There are already some VR Shooters that make very realistic implementation of optical scopes ...

Last edited by cercata; 03-08-2019 at 10:29 AM.
cercata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
The zoom view isn’t there to simulate binoculars. It’s there to make up for the low resolution and size / FOV of your screen. It’s needed to make up for lack of resolution in VR just like on a monitor. Likely neither will be able to replicate 20/20 vision any time soon.
The zoom view is not unique to DCS, all flight sims have this feature for the same reason.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
wju

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soupdragon View Post
the elastic band feel of it and the deformation of the view is really really jarring.

SD

+1
wju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
lefuneste01

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soupdragon View Post

SD
You have an alternative here (that add instantaneous 2x, 5x and 10X zoom, and other things for VR) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242134
Unfortunately, mouse will not work with the additionnal zoom (not impossible, but that's some work), so you will still have to use the vanilla zoom for cockpit work. But they are OK to spot outside or to have a glance at instrument.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
wju

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefuneste01 View Post
You have an alternative here (that add instantaneous 2x, 5x and 10X zoom, and other things for VR) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242134
Unfortunately, mouse will not work with the additionnal zoom (not impossible, but that's some work), so you will still have to use the vanilla zoom for cockpit work. But they are OK to spot outside or to have a glance at instrument.

yes, we have; thanks to You and Your effort, but ED should implement it in core; the best way analog...

Last edited by wju; 09-10-2019 at 03:16 PM.
wju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #9
Harlikwin
Veteran

Another big +1 for better VR zoom. The current 2x or whatever is is fine for looking around in the pit, but I think a 5x or 10x would be far better for target spotting.

Also, consider the same maginification limits for flat screen as VR. IF VR gets 2x, flat screen gets 2x.

Also I want a better VR NVG overlay, gimmie my TP tube with green cellophane on it.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Also, consider the same maginification limits for flat screen as VR. IF VR gets 2x, flat screen gets 2x.
But VR is already life sized whereas a monitor’s view isn’t. Fully zoomed in on a desktop sized screen is about 1:1 scale. So monitors don’t have an excessive zoom level. Plus the zoom view is simply trading one advantage for another so it’s self regulating.
A large magnification in VR would probably make people sick anyways.

I don’t think most players would agree on handicapping all the non VR users down to that level.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote