HOTAS recommendation for F-14 + F-16

I'm curious what you guys would recommend for a higher end HOTAS setup that could handle the F-14 and F-16 that I plan to focus on in DCS. Obviously I would like a split throttle to accommodate the F-14. I would like to keep a side-stick setup as it allows a much more ergonomic seat/desk area.

I currently have:

1. Thrustmaster Pendular Rudders

2. Monstertech USA desk mounts.

3. 2x Realsimulator FSSB R3 Warthogs.

4. 2x VPC MongoosT-50 Grips (L+R hand) [currently attached to the FSSB R3's].

5. 2x Gunfighter MKII Bases.

6. 2x VKB Space Combat Grip ‘KOSMOSIMA’ (Premium L+R hand) [currently attached to the GF MKII bases]..

I've got a lot of the stuff above for use in Star Citizen but the game still has a long way to go. I'd like to hop back into DCS as my primary.

Stick with the Kosmosima for the right side stick or replace it with something like the VKB Modern Combat Grip? The Kosmosima seems to be a pretty nice stick all around. Or go with something from Virpil?

I don't think I'd want to go with the VKB F-14 Combat Grip as that would be too F-14 specific (and limited functionality), just like I don't think I'd want to go with an old Thristmaster F-16 Throttle Quadrant System as it's too F-16 specific. I think I am leaning away from force sensing as my wrist is damaged and the constant force irritates it. Although that Realsimulator F-16 grip does look sexy!

Anyone have both the VKB MCG and Kosmosima that would have some thoughts for my usage?

What is considered the top multi-role throttle these days?

Edited by Callsign.Vega

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Ah thanks for the tips, you are the only one!

I do like the Kosmosima, it feels very good in the hand. You think it's worth upgrading my VKB MKII base to MKIII? I always seem to buy stuff right before a new model comes out...

For throttle I was leaning towards the Virpil T-50 CM2 Version 3 throttle, but they may not be in stock for quite a while. I had a Warthog before, I don't remember the throttle being that comfortable but I don't mind the modding that is required to get it up to snuff.

If you had to pick between the two, would you just get and mod a Warthog throttle or hold out longer for the Virpil throttle?

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Have to say, I’m really not a fan of switching grips.

That’s partly because I fly pretty much everything in games, but also because I’m concerned about the potential for breaking pins on the PS2 connector that TM has basically used as the grip standard.

As for specific grips, I replaced my Virgil CM recently with a TM F18 grip. Doesn’t have any more buttons, but it is VERY tactile in feel.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Ya I don't want to switch grips either. That's why I want an all around grip that can handle F-14/F-16 and later some Star Citizen. I think dual Kosmosima's with a throttle on the left would handle everything well.

I decided to go with the TM warthog throttle with the slew mod and afterburner detent mod for a few reasons:

1. Virpil T-50 CM2 doesn't have AB detent which really seems like a strange design decision.

2. May not be able to grab one with their strange "1 minute to order" sales tactics.

3. The Virpil throttle looks a little more "gamery" than the more "business" look of the TM.

I still may try and get the Virpil to do an A/B comparison against the modded Warthog throttle. Not like I would have a problem selling it!

The VKB throttle also looks really special, but it looks like people have been looking forward to that for years.

Edited by Callsign.Vega