Open Beta vs. Stable

ouseler

I have always been a little confused about this terminology and what the (2) programs are differentiated by. In fact, I use the latest Open Beta version but have the stable also.

So, what is the difference between the two and why is that relevant? When is it decided to make a stable version when the software relentlessly is being updated and improved?

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

My wild guess would be that they don't want to introduce faults like the FPS drop, some of us are experiencing in the OB, to the "stable" release.

IMHO they should have two betas:

1. For testing bug fixes, especially for modules, they can quickly move to "stable" release.

2. Test core components, and new features.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Let me save you a lot of storage space on your computer:

They're not (2) programs. They are (1) program with different versions.

If you have both Stable, and Open Beta installations on your computer, then you have a single program installed twice on your computer. You can do that, of course. But I just run dcs_updater.exe to switch as needed.

So, what is the difference between the two and why is that relevant? When is it decided to make a stable version when the software relentlessly is being updated and improved?

All new features get pushed into the OpenBeta first. Depending on user feedback, these same new features may get pushed into the Stable branch a few days later, or with as much delay as it takes to flesh out the most severe problems.

Until roughly the end of 2019, we usually had a delay between 1 and 2 weeks between OpenBeta and Stable. Since then, though, the Stable has been stuck because of a whole bunch of issues with the OpenBeta.

New features keep getting pushed into the OpenBeta. Maybe the single most significant one right now is the Early Access version of the JF-17, which is only available in the OpenBeta.

To put it a little bit differently: OpenBeta and Stable are two branches of the same program.

It's always possible to switch an existing installation between these two branches, but that usually requires downloading all the files that are different between the branches. Depending on the amount of difference, depending on installed modules and depending on the download speed, this switch may take from maybe a minute all the way up to several hours.

Personally, I have both branches as separate installations so that I can fly our squad trainings on the Stable branch, and test new features or do fun flights in the OpenBeta branch.

You should be aware that the OpenBeta is much more likely to be bugged and broken to the point that it might be entirely unplayable, and that you are very much encouraged to report all bugs and problems that you encounter in the OpenBeta in the appropriate Bug-forums.

The idea is: Run the OpenBeta to help Eagle Dynamics and the 3rd parties identify, find and track down problems. Run the Stable version if you just want to fly DCS.

@randomTOTEN

Don't want to be an ass, but that's not entirely true, and not an answer to his question. Is it?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

What's not true about his post? Can't see any wrong information there? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

What's not true about his post? Can't see any wrong information there? :huh:

You answered a question, you provided correct information, you did not answer the OP’s question on what the actual difference was...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

The idea is: Run the OpenBeta to help Eagle Dynamics and the 3rd parties identify, find and track down problems. Run the Stable version if you just want to fly DCS.

This.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Sorry, this won't answer the question either.

Right now i'm on the OB. When I want to try the stable I delete the OB and install stable. I do this because my SSD won't hold both of them. Is there an easier way to do it?

Buzz

yes-you can switch between them using command line switches for the updater utility, or do it using Skatezilla's graphical updater utility

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Ok, thanks, guys.

One more question. I took a vacation from DCS lately. I'm not up on all the updates. If I was to just fly the A-10C. Is there a reason for me to use the OB version?

No reason to use the OB version for the A-10C. The Stable version will be just fine, or better.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

Now, I have to decide if I want to concentrate on the A-10C or the F/A-18. I like to put all my effort into one plane at a time.

I'll stay on OB for the Hornet but if I pick the Hog i'll go back to stable.

Buzz

That's true. I have no problem with it in OB. I'm just worried some future update will start problems.

I guess I shouldn't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. I've gotten too cautious in my old age. :)

Buzz

I believe A-10 in the current OB now also has this fix:

DCS A-10C by ED

GAU8 dispersion corrected.

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

That's true. I have no problem with it in OB. I'm just worried some future update will start problems.

I guess I shouldn't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. I've gotten too cautious in my old age. :)

Indeed. That's what I would call paranoid. If problems occur in the future you can still revert back ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Indeed. That's what I would call paranoid. If problems occur in the future you can still revert back ;)

I don't think paranoid is a good description because updates screwing up things has happened many times before. It's also a serious mental condition. However, I get your point.

Buzz

I don't think paranoid is a good description because updates screwing up things has happened many times before. It's also a serious mental condition. However, I get your point.

Yes, that can happen for sure, but as I said, you can still revert back if issues occur. No need to do that prematurely when its still working fine :)

Tornado3 small.jpg