Should I buy it?

Pinola

Hi guys, I know this must have been asked a 100 times, but owning the NTTR map, is PG worth buying? I know PG has Carrier operation and NTTR not, but other than that, is there a difference between them that justify the purchase?

Thank you for your answers!

M2000 | Mig-21 | Mig-15 | F-14 | UH-1H HUEY | A-10C II | MB-339A | A-4E-C | F-18 | F-86 | KA-50 | F-16 |AH-64D| NTTR | PG |

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + RX 580 8GB OC + 32Gb + 1TB SSD

So worth it. The best map on DCS right now. People usually confuses the fact that there's desert in both with the fact they are two spot on the globe quite different. Anyway, as you said just having CA ops makes it worth it, but that's not the only point.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

It's a beautiful map and the one I use the most.

But whether it is worth it or not depends on many things, among those your wallet...

Caucasus map is also beautiful (especially in Winter) and you can also do carrier ops there. Not historically correct, but nevermind...

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

What are you looking for? PG is a large map and a plausible/historical conflict zone fit for ground and naval based aircraft. Technically though anything you could do on that map would work on a combination of the free map and NTTR.

If you want different scenery to fly over, PG offers some nice areas from the north coast of the strait and down to the south. The north is more barren and flat but makes for a nice large playground for missions and gives space for campaigns to have moving front lines. Most of the airbases are toward the south as well, but there are a fair amount in the north.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I guess I'm going against the grain here but SoH is my least used map. Compared with NTTR and Caucasus the frame rate is noticeably lower in VR, and not just in the 'busy' city areas. Even away from the bright lights it is nowhere near as smooth as the other maps. It is also a very empty map (I know it is a very empty part of the world). Any realistic ops are going to be over the wet bits and nowhere near the Iranian interior so it is unlikely you will ever see those parts anyway, which leave Dubai and Abu Dhabi which undoubtedly look nice, do seem a little out of place for a 'combat' simulator. I really wish they'd gone a little further up the Persian Gulf and created Iraq/Kuwait/SA instead but hey.

I love NTTR for the realistic training feel, and Caucasus is so versatile with its changeable seasons (Germany in summer, Norway in winter etc.), mountains and coastal plains.

YMMV, and as said - you get to try it for free soon!

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Thank you all for your opinions. I finally bought the map, the sale of this item on steam ends in 3 days, and the free trial is after that!

I must say it is a good map, and in my opinion it runs smoother than Nevada. It also appears to be bigger map. It has many new missions for my planes, but only the mirage has a campaign?? Also, I only flew the f-18 briefly, but there are no charts on the kneeboard?

M2000 | Mig-21 | Mig-15 | F-14 | UH-1H HUEY | A-10C II | MB-339A | A-4E-C | F-18 | F-86 | KA-50 | F-16 |AH-64D| NTTR | PG |

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + RX 580 8GB OC + 32Gb + 1TB SSD

It has many new missions for my planes, but only the mirage has a campaign?? Also, I only flew the f-18 briefly, but there are no charts on the kneeboard?

Being a new map the big content like campaigns is still in the works and yup, no charts yet.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 2 months later...
..is PG worth buying?..

Personally I'd say yes, because it means every time we hear on the TV news about trouble in the Gulf hotspot we can sit back munching our popcorn with smug grins on our faces thinking "Bin there dun that".

I mean, we've explored the whole area in the sim and therefore know every nook and cranny like the back of our hand, so "The Persian Gulf" is not just an abstract name to us, WE'VE BEEN THERE in the sim..:music_whistling:

• 2 months later...

Honestly at this point you are better buying Syria much better map

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

PG is a great map.

If you fancy basing a mission on a realistic scenario, go look at “operation window of opportunity” which was drawn up by a US admiral to use two carrier groups in the 80s to basically destroy the Iranian military capabilities of the time.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

i'm thinking about buying two copies of the map on the sale (one for gifting obviously), but wanna quickly check if the transition to 2.7 has been smooth for the persian gulf? Most people are talking about syria these days, so i just want to make sure that the gulf is as good as ever (playtested it in decembre during the free trial and liked it very much. also had very good performance (which is important for me as i'm still running a very old cpu...).

It's all fine in 2.7. Although I have to admit I saw much less of the map itself last time because of those clouds...

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria