Magic / lock tones / hud questions

jaguara5

Have several questions, after doing extensive dogfights in the JUST DOGFIGHT multiplayer server.

1) https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2872511&postcount=3052

'' Updated MAGIC lock tone ...

Removed MAGIC seek tone, need to add MAGIC TIR tone ... ''.

Are there (or should be) two separate tones (magic lock - magic tir),

or is it one and the same tone, which is triggered in 2 different conditions?

If the second tone is different, is he currently implemented ? And should this tone be audible only if the TIR message appears (=radar lock and double ring) or if the magic's seeker is also pointed to the radar lock (=magic + radar lock + double ring) ?

Until now I thought that if you hear a tone you can in any case take the shoot, that's not true, since I had a magic seeker tone (target in circle) without a radar designated target, in distances well outside shooting parameters. The MAGIC TIR tone as a separate tone makes perfectly sense to me = you can shoot immediate.

2) In some cases , where I had multiple aircrafts in front of me, I had a good magic + radar lock, and suddenly the circle (magic) separated from the square (radar lock) and my wingman was on the circle and the enemy on the square .

That happened although the enemy was on the right side of my hud and the friendly in a shorter distance on the left side (= without crossing in my view the bogeys position).

Should this happen or am i missing something? I thought that if you have a magic and radar lock the magic seeker lock is ''fixed'' to the target.

And I can understand the importance of the (missing currently) visual indication of the triangle (magic + radar lock) = the missile will follow the locked target.

By the way the triangle is magic specific and does not appear with the 530, right?

3) The third question is more DCS World rather than Razbam M2000 specific.

Very few of my fights were evolved in a true dogfight, in almost every engagement either me or the enemy or both could achieve a head on kill.

a) How is magic's (short range missiles in general) effectiveness coded? Is the kill propability depending on target aspect angle or not? Do i have the same chance to kill the enemy, irrespective if i fire the all aspect missile from the 12 or the 6 o' clock positon?

b) I was reading an aviation magazine, which covered a squadron exchange between HAF Mirage 2000's and dutch air force F-16A's in the 90's. The journalist was present on the various briefings and debriefings.

According to the article, the dutch leader pilot presented the first day the aim - 9L capabilities and explained, that if the target make's a 6,5 g turn, he could exit the flight envelope of the missile.

Is there a minimum high g avoidance threshold coded in our game ?

Edited by jaguara5

Tone means that missile seeker got a lock and its ready to fly at target. However it cannot judge range so it doesnt know if its able to reach target or not. Thats why laser finders and radar come to play. Its very important with planes who got IR missile only with no radar, like A10. There u need to judge distance yourself

For magic, Radar provides range to target (TIR when in range) and it can also slew magic seeker to radar lock (HOTAS key). you need to slew manually (pressing button), its not automatic. Also Magic slew button got other uses as well, like CCRP bombing or INS calibrations, so its quite important. Hotas key also have unlock Magic lock. Remeber that for current version of Mirage Magic seeker is looking at gun cross and not through TIR circle. So you may have radar lock on Bandit but if your wingman goes through your Guncross then Magic will lock on friendly.

Sometimes even though radar tells you TIR, be aware that magic may run out of juice when chasing high speed bandit who is running away from you. I would wait until I am half range.

And to your last question, well principle of missile combat is same to every missile (Physics is same to everyone). When firing head on missile has less to travel so it got more energy to use to turn. However when firing at hostile 6 then missile have lock on hot engine so its harder to break its lock. Magic II is very maneuverable missile, I would say on par with R73 (more maneuverable then aim9), but its burn time is really short, therefore its range is short, and thats its biggest drawback.

Edited by The_Tau

The need for implementation of the triangle and the lock tones was announced several months ago.

I won't lie, i'm little disappointed when i see the progress on Harrier's Hud, while such basic (and relative simple to code?) indications are still missing from the Mirage.

Perhaps, Zeus could find some time in his schedule to implement them and reduce little the hunger for us M2000 fanssmile.gif

The need for implementation of the triangle and the lock tones was announced several months ago.

I won't lie, i'm little disappointed when i see the progress on Harrier's Hud, while such basic (and relative simple to code?) indications are still missing from the Mirage.

Perhaps, Zeus could find some time in his schedule to implement them and reduce little the hunger for us M2000 fanssmile.gif

+1 hear hear

In my opinion, with the exception of some critical radar and FM bugs, a fully functional HUD and weapons employment system is essential for the successful use of the M2000 in his primary intercept role and should have taken priority over the rest (even to the INS position update bug or the TAS inaccuracy). I personally think that the triangle, lock tones, magic in background while system is in GUN mode etc. are fully functional and not cosmetic features.

Edited by jaguara5