Douglas SBD-2/3 Dauntless

jpbordi

SBD is a rare case of an outdated plane that ended up punching 2 categories above its weight class. It is unbelievable that this plane served till the end of the war and was critical at all major PTO naval battles (that involves carriers). The other obsolete relic to achieve miracles is the Swordfish.

Recent studies indicate that the terrible climb rate of the SBD was due to the giant brass balls of its pilots.

I want this module for the coolness factor alone (yes it will be terrible in multiplayer...)

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I watched the new Midway movie the other day and in all the scenes where the SBDs are diving on the Japanese carriers, through clouds and flak, the back seat gunner trying to hold off the pursuing Zeroes, all I could think of was - damn, can't wait to do that in DCS!

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

due to the giant brass balls of its pilots

Heh :D OTOH, all true.

Would just feekin' love to have this outdated deathtrap as well though. To divebomb those Jap carriers... woohoo

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 1 month later...

Something cool about the Dauntless I just learned was it also served with the Army air corps in Pacific as the A-24 Banshee. It had a few modifications like different radios, a different tailwheel, and no arresting gear but was pretty much the same plane.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
that rear pop gun wont hold off anyone

hollywood lies will only cause you grief

That "rear pop-gun" killed a fair number of Zeroes, historically.

Remember, the Zero was completely unarmored. Even the cockpit. You didn't need a big gun to kill it. All you needed to do was actually hit it (which was the difficult part, as it was extremely maneuverable)

If we ever get the Zero in DCS, some players are going to be shocked to discover how incredibly fragile it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to fly the SBD and dive bomb Jap carriers.   I just hope the F4U comes out soon...

I am happy to have recently learned about the dive brakes on the P-47, what a difference it makes !

Edited by ctguy1955
P47 dive brakes
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...