Pimax 5K+ DCS review and 2080ti benchmarks

*Rage*

I have the 5k+ on order, but need to know exactly what BASE STATION or stations do I need to order to for proper operation of the PIMAX HMD.

The base stations and controllers are not ready yet. We're all assuming it's the next hardware that HTC will release for its own Vive.

But in the mean time your options are: use the built in 3DOF Gyro for tracking, or get one current Vive Lighthouse base station for 6DOF tracking. Two would be better, I'm sure, but I never had any issues with one sensor in Rift. So I'm assuming Pimax would be fine with one temporary lighthouse.

I KS'ed the two base/two controller option.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It should be possible to use just one lighthouse for 6DOF in a seated sim situation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ipcvs/can_the_vive_run_on_one_lighthouse/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/a09ve1/bought_a_cheap_vive_with_one_lighthouse_what_are/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Thanks for taking the time for this review. Looking forward to my Pimax in xx weeks.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great review, ///Rage, thanks for that!

I`m still concerned about the low FPS you are gaining with that rig and the (relatively) low settings in DCS even without shadows. Shadows on low/flat is a must for me. We definitely need the promised optimisations for VR.

I agree no cockpit shadows in DCS is not worth flying.

I agree no cockpit shadows in DCS is not worth flying.

I thought the same, then I turned them off and I didnt even notice. Most missions are up high so yeah, no shadows.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

FPS

Again I must reiterate that I’ve deliberately set the bar quite high. The 5K+ pushes out 4815x4113 pixels per eye with a pitools setting of 1.25 and SteamVR 100%. Pitools 1.0 and steam VR at 60% (recommended settings) push out 2984x2549 pixels and its still perfectly playable. What can I say? I like pretty.

Thanks for that very useful review.

Not sure where you get these pixel numbers from though. Is it SteamVR settings? I've never understood them, or where they come from.

I mean, your Pimax is 2560x1440 per eye, but I'm guessing that's not what SteamVR says at 100%. At 100% on my Vive Pro, SteamVR says 2016x2240 per eye, and it has a native res of 1440 x 1600. The SteamVr value is therefore 2x the total pixels! Now, if some SS was being applied, then I would get it, but it's not at 100%.

Also, how are you measuring your fps and GPU/CPU usage in the mission? I know you are using fpsVR - a great utility - but at what point are you doing your measurement?

Only asking, as, like another poster above, I am a little concerned about your fps with no shadows in cockpit or terrain, no MSAA, and a PD of 1.0! These settings are not particularly demanding.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I had my order placed on Nov 6 for a 5K+, but... today I've received an email from PiMAX stating that my credit card transaction did not go through, and asking me to make a new payment. I find that fortunate, because I don't think I'm interested any longer. It is sad to see you only able to get into 40+ fps territory with a hardware like yours. I better stick with CV1 for a while.

By the way, PiMAX does not know how to do the business at all. Their email message contained all other clients email addresses in a "TO" section, even some of their responses with PayPal receipts etc where included. Unbelievable.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I had my order placed on Nov 6 for a 5K+, but... today I've received an email from PiMAX stating that my credit card transaction did not go through, and asking me to make a new payment. I find that fortunate, because I don't think I'm interested any longer. It is sad to see you only able to get into 40+ fps territory with a hardware like yours. I better stick with CV1 for a while.

By the way, PiMAX does not know how to do the business at all. Their email message contained all other clients email addresses in a "TO" section, even some of their responses with PayPal receipts etc where included. Unbelievable.

Such is the realities of dealing with an off-shore companies more focused on building than getting slick front office built out. I will say, though, that their level of information throughout the KS process was very much appreciated. I didn't get upset at the delays 8+ months because what they were proposing was CRAZY.

And remember, ED is getting more and more optimized for VR. But it makes 100% sense to wait and see since Rift is pretty damn good already.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

And remember, ED is getting more and more optimized for VR

Not yet it isn’t. It’s in ED’s plans, but we will have to wait and see when the optimisations occur.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Not yet it isn’t. It’s in ED’s plans, but we will have to wait and see when the optimisations occur.

Compared to when it first supported Rift? It's come a long way.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Pimax returns will be hilarious.

Hey Rage,

Thanks a lot for your review. I'm flying with the CV1 for 2 years now and have preordered the pimax 5k+ when it opened !!!

I'm now more than eager to try it.

:)

-------------- TAW --------------

--- CVW-88 - Ace of Spades ---

--------------AV8B---------------

i7-9700k, 32Gb 3000Mhz, MSI RTX 2080Ti, Warthog with extender, MFG Crosswind, StreamDeck, Pimax 5K+

Is it really going to be a big leap? 5K features less vertical pixels as odyssey+, so in the end the cost of performance is shot to larger FOV, right?

I am not missing FOV as much as seeing sharply straight ahead, at least. Only difference is then just looking even dorkier in that humangous headset...

I thought the same, then I turned them off and I didnt even notice. Most missions are up high so yeah, no shadows.

Terrain shadows are one thing, not a huge deal to not have those toggled to off if you’re in jets (I do still have them set on Flat personally, but have changed them to off before and it wasn’t a huge deal).

Cockpit Shadows though, for me these are 100% necessary. In the Hornet when you turn Cockpit Shadows to OFF, the panels look materially worse...they look bad, actually, versus looking great with even the Low Shadows setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 2 weeks later...
He sold it. RIP.

idjut.gif

:lol:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Is it really going to be a big leap? 5K features less vertical pixels as odyssey+, so in the end the cost of performance is shot to larger FOV, right?

I am not missing FOV as much as seeing sharply straight ahead, at least. Only difference is then just looking even dorkier in that humangous headset...

Yeah, this is kind of my question, in terms of PPD (pix per degree) which in my mind is "clarity" how much better the pimax really? I'd much rather have double or triple the ppd of my Rift at the same FOV. Right now FOV is the least of my concerns. Maybe I'd have a different opinion of a wide field HMD if I tried one though. But I think the #1 thing for DCS is improved clarity/long range res when I'm considering a new device... I'd be super interested in pi-max 8k with the same FOV as the rift (110) since I think that would push it into the 30ppd range vs the 10-13 range the rift is in now. Of course pushing enough pixels at that rate would be another issue.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

He sold it. RIP.

Really? Did he post that somewhere?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Really? Did he post that somewhere?

A Discord we are all a part of.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Ouch... now that is bad and probably violates every privacy policy there is.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com