what for ?

monsterman

According to the manual:

"Full hiking of the strut will add approximately 3 degrees to the angle of attack, which shortens takeoff runs."

(p. 1-63, T.O. 1F-5E-1-1)

It further says, that the strut will automatically de-hike when you put your gear up after takeoff and that the retraction time will be about 9 seconds (compared to 6 seconds with a non-hiked strut).

The short takeoff tests will be interesting for sure... :)

- Deutsche Tutorials und DCS Gameplay: youtube.com/Rakuzard | raku.yt/discord -

You don't need to manually dehike it after t/o, as this will be done automatically when you raise your gear (and I assume the spring-loaded switch will spring back to its dehiked-position).

And yes, the hiked strut is - afaik - only needed for takeoff or better to say short takeoff runs.

You don't need to manually dehike it after t/o, as this will be done automatically when you raise your gear (and I assume the spring-loaded switch will spring back to its dehiked-position).

And yes, the hiked strut is - afaik - only needed for takeoff or better to say short takeoff runs.

Not quite what I was asking, I know the gear will retract either way.

The checklist refers to the aircraft being started with the switch in the dehiked position, and it being moved to hike for take-off. There don't appear to be any further references. Is it supposed to remain hiked for landing/taxi etc?

Is it supposed to remain hiked for landing/taxi etc?

It won't make sense to land with an hiked nose gear strut. It's sole purpose is to shorten your takeoff run by giving you additional 3 degrees aoa.

This is why I think the switch will behave exactly as I mentioned earlier and just like bbrz said:

snaps back to the dehiked position once the plane is lifting off.

So, there is no need for further references of this switch in the manual or checklists, as the takoff is the only time you actually use it and it will dehike itself automatically upon raising the gear.

As we understand, it works this way. Electromagnetically held in hiked position. It is automatically switched off when weight is not on wheels, so, just after takeoff.

Nice!:thumbup:

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]