Getting very poor image quality in Rift with 2.5.4

FragBum

Update DCS 2.5.4.26368 appears to have fixed the issue.

Anyone else getting very fuzzy image quality with Rift under 2.5.4.

Seems like the tiniest center aperture is kinda okay but the rest of the image is fuzzy like there is no MSAA processing applied to the surrounding peripheral image it kinda makes DCS useless to fly in.

Yes I have done the FXO and shaders BS again but no change to image quality.

Edited by FragBum
Issue sorted with DCS 2.5.4.26368 update.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Anyone else getting very fuzzy image quality with Rift under 2.5.4.

Seems like the tiniest center aperture is kinda okay but the rest of the image is fuzzy like there is no MSAA processing applied to the surrounding peripheral image it kinda makes DCS useless to fly in.

Yes I have done the FXO and shaders BS again but no change to image quality.

I use the shader mod, and dump the metacache as per instructions, from the terrains, what`s the story with the FXO. I found VR performance no better on the rift with this beta and as usual went back to the shader mod. (Running a RTX 2080)

I use the shader mod, and dump the metacache as per instructions, from the terrains, what`s the story with the FXO. I found VR performance no better on the rift with this beta and as usual went back to the shader mod. (Running a RTX 2080)

Sure but before the latest update Rift was IMO perfect now it's a fuzzy in all but the center aperture of vision.

I have also done the usual delete fxo and shaders dirs not improvement.

And guess what the updater will not allow you to revert to the previous version. Just sits and tells me it aup to date I've used the same CMD many times before and it worked but not currently.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Sure but before the latest update Rift was IMO perfect now it's a fuzzy in all but the center aperture of vision.

I have also done the usual delete fxo and shaders dirs not improvement.

And guess what the updater will not allow you to revert to the previous version. Just sits and tells me it aup to date I've used the same CMD many times before and it worked but not currently.

IL2 is great on the res of the cockpits, dials etc, are not an issue to read, even on a lower PD then I use in DCS. Definitely needs some TLC.

No this is after the 2.5.4 update sure DCS seems better but Rift image quality is worse it was perfectly fine in 2.5.3 it's only since the update today.

Okay some more testing and this issue seems to be related to distance as well, for near field <50mtrs objects seem to be processed and more distant objects like the cranes and communications towers in NTTR are now very fuzzy until your almost on top of them.

Thanks for the heads up. I will hold off on updating till after the holiday period.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Thanks for the heads up. I will hold off on updating till after the holiday period.

I'm not sure what it is TBH it's like there is a cone of good image quality right in the center and as your eyes departs the "cone" portion the image quality decreases.

I'm going to say I never really noticed it before it's just flying fast and low in Gazelle I tend to judge distance and situation just rolling my eyes and looking at peripheral objects which worked well, now it's a somewhat distracting as the image isn't as sharp as it was and hence judging width and or height, yes I know it a Rift but there didn't seem to be this sort of difference. It is somewhat off putting in VR.

Having said that DCS seems to be smoother and even more responsive. Well it ought be it's using upto about 80% more CPU usage. Swings and roundabouts. :thumbup:

Can't say I've noticed this tbh though I am on the VIVE. No cone of good image quality for me that I can see. I have noticed that distant textures are not very focused (well in vegas anyway), but I like this blurred effect in VR more than I do a sharp image, as I find it conceals poor resolution and textures. The other sim has a sharp image quality option but I always shut it off.

Personally am very happy with the update, just hope a hotfix for you guys doesn't come along and bork things up for me! :)

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I'm not sure what it is TBH it's like there is a cone of good image quality right in the center and as your eyes departs the "cone" portion the image quality decreases.

I'm going to say I never really noticed it before it's just flying fast and low in Gazelle I tend to judge distance and situation just rolling my eyes and looking at peripheral objects which worked well, now it's a somewhat distracting as the image isn't as sharp as it was and hence judging width and or height, yes I know it a Rift but there didn't seem to be this sort of difference. It is somewhat off putting in VR.

Having said that DCS seems to be smoother and even more responsive. Well it ought be it's using upto about 80% more CPU usage. Swings and roundabouts. :thumbup:

80 percent more? Is that true?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

80 percent more? Is that true?

Well its a mixed bag so far in NTTR I am now seeing uptp 28% CPU usage under 2.5.3 same everything maybe 16~17% which it has been in my test mission for a long time.

Caucasus upt 22% CPU

Yet the DCS process maybe has only picked up to 17~18% maybe 1 or 2% ish.

So something is different but I don't know what yet. :huh:

link to thread with task manger screen shot when I fired up NTTR mission.

Edited by FragBum
Added link

TBH I think it's worth it, I had some mixed feelings about it initially but after a few hours adjusting to it I'm sure you'll find it a step forward.

My thoughts after some time with it.

Are you sure? For me it's a night and day difference. Never had this good performance, not even in 1.5. And the visuals all cranked up now! ED really knocked it out of the park with this update. Amazing performance and great update to the visuals :)

Try running a repair and see if it helps.

Are you sure? For me it's a night and day difference. Never had this good performance, not even in 1.5. And the visuals all cranked up now! ED really knocked it out of the park with this update. Amazing performance and great update to the visuals :)

Try running a repair and see if it helps.

I'm with Schmidt, it's been a nice improvement. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I'm in a better place with all but the MI-8. The cockpit is very stuttery with head movement but this does NOT occur in any other helo.

Harrier is smooth as glass.

Thanks for the check on my initial observations fellas.

ETA - It's undeniable that the frame rate for me is substantially lower with this update across al A/C. I struggle to find another benchmark.

It is what it is - maybe I'll try shutting off MSAA.

Edited by fargo007

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I'm wondering if ED are implementing the first iteration of Oculus deep focus to get framerates up, only instead of utilising the varifocal display, they are just using a centre of view focus.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/19/oculus-reveals-deepfocus-an-open-source-ai-renderer-for-varifocal-vr/

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

@etherbattx: If that's the case my answer would be "not so great."

It's not terrible, but up to this update (and using kegetys shaders mod) I had solid 45's in every AC, nearly everywhere. Now, 30 is my high water mark most of the time, with the Huey and Harrier showing the best performance.

It's a wholesale 25% performance drop in FR for me.

O+, AMD Ryzen 5, 16G DDR4, 1080ti.

I'm also seeing missing textures on some Huey skins but still not sure what is causing that. Even after a repair.

Edited by fargo007
Specs, textures

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Resolved

Okay I have a work around which gives unexpected results.

Anisotropic filtering was causing the issue as the near field image looked good the mid to far field looked rubbish, full of aliasing artifacts. So I began tweaking and removed all MSAA processing but the issue was still persistent. I then removed my modest 1.1 PD setting still no change. Dropped the AF setting from 8 to none, bingo. Okay no where near as sharp over all so I ramped MSAA back up to *4 better still not great then I ramped PD up interestingly I can now run PD at 1.3 and avoid FPS drops in NTTR where as prior to 2.4.5 update I could not with or without AF and it looks amazing!

Sorted!update DCS 2.5.4.26368 :thumbup:

Edited by FragBum
Issue appears fixed with DCS 2.5.4.26368 update.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I did an experiment last night and rolled back to 2.5.3 just to see why I perceived there was such a drastic change to Rift VR with 2.5.4.

Okay 2.5.3 center field of vision/near field good with a gradual soft focus effect as in game objects go into peripheral vision, alright that is normal and really works well I can identify an object and as it tracks away into my peripheral vision it gets less detail, that is how it works.

2.5.4 same conditions as 2.5.3 near field objects look great with the same overall effect as described above but with lashings and I mean a super serve of aliasing artifacts on medium to long distances and objects in peripheral. I can and did live with some aliasing artifacts but under 2.5.4 it's the visual equivalent of objects screaming at you for attention as they move into peripheral vision. I guessing this is why the image quality is perceived as worse.

Axelerator described the effect here in another thread linky which prompted me to do the test last night.

I'm not sure if it's the MSAA not working as near feild objects and textures look good in Rift. Perhaps there is some mask to reduce the processing PD, AF, MSAA and hence reduce aliasing for objects outside a certain field of view that isn't applied??

The effect is slightly different in all 4 maps Caucasus and PG seem to have a little less artifacts than NTTR and Normandy and the monitor image s fine and sharp as a tack.