Course line keeps drifting

imacken

I know I am missing something fundamental here, but, on the A-10C, my standard navigation to landing technique was always, set TACAN to runway, get runway heading from F10 map, set course to that heading, and then intersect the course line and steer to the runway.

In the Hornet, that doesn't seem to work.

When I set the course line to the runway heading after setting TACAN to the airfield, the course line just drifts as I fly very significantly, which makes it pointless to do.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have better results taking the runway heading from the kneeboard chart as they differ from the f10 map heading a few degrees. Iirc its the difference between magnetic and true headings. Kneeboard headings jive better with hornet. Apologies for not remembering which source is magnetic and which is true.

Edited by Darcwaynard
SP

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

I have better results taking the runway heading from the kneeboard chart as they differ from the f10 map heading a few degrees. Iirc its the difference between magnetic and true headings. Kneeboard headings jive better with hornet. Apologies for not remembering which source is magnetic and which is true.

Thanks for that, but that is not the issue.

What is happening is that the course line is drifting way off what it was originally set to.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

For what it's worth , for trouble-shooting purposes , i am experiencing no course-line drift using waypoints as opposed to Tacan .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Can we get a screenshot while lined up on final with HSI up on left ddi?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

TACAN is really only there to get you within the zone to pick up ILS information (which the Hornet cant grab at land stations), so it wont be accurate to bring you onto the runway.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Here are a couple of screenshots. First with course set to 250, and the 2nd a few miles further on with the course line now at 270.

It's showing you the position of the course you selected relative to your aircraft. It is pointed at 280 even though it doesn't look like it... If you were to bring up the map overlay on that, it would give you the precise 280 bearing line to that tacan station overlayed on the map. If you intercept that course, it will point at your selected course of 280 in this instance.

Edited by IceFire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven

You're expecting the course line to intersect the compass rose in a way that's directly readable. The course lines are oriented 280° magnetic in both pictures. The reason the lines don't intersect the compass rose at 280 is because the circle of compass markings is centered on ownship and the TACAN station is somewhere else. Think of the SA page as a map and the course line as a road. Of course the road will drift in the display as you maneuver relative to the road.

What I did notice is that the ownship symbol isn't centered on the hole in the two crossed lines as it should be. I noticed when drawing lines parallel from the proper center of the symbol it wasn't intersecting the course it should be.

co1.thumb.jpg.44573a0ac82c193a98f9a5d08bf72193.jpg

co2.jpg.0edad9089781dc340f08218abed86bb4.jpg

t9y3lbhw.png.2290c7b61934162cf8aec3ae48e83282.png

Edited by Frederf

Thanks guys, but I'm being very slow here.

In the past, once a TACAN is set for the airfield, I set a course for the orientation of the runway through the TACAN station, intercept that line, turn and head with correct orientation to the runway for landing.

This has always worked for me.

With the Hornet, I set the same sort of course line through the TACAN of 250 degrees in this case. Then, it just constantly drifts away from the set 250 resulting in a huge discrepancy (20 degrees in my attachment) which results in it being a pointless exercise as I cannot use this info to make the correct heading to the runway.

Uh I get DME info from field TACANs in the Hornet. You need to make sure you're in T//R and X mode (not Y) for ground TACAN (both are default), and within the service volume.

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/virtual_disk_library/index.cgi/4300833/FID2415/ATPUBS/aim/p0101008.htm

Ensure you understand that service volume does not obviate line-of-sight. NAVAID signals to not propagate through terrain or over the horizon.

Sorry, meant ILS

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

With the Hornet, I set the same sort of course line through the TACAN of 250 degrees in this case.

You haven't set a course of 250°M,you have set a course of 280°M (as shown in the bottom RH corner of your DDI pictures CSEL=280°M ).

As the course line passes through the offset TACAN station (not your aircraft), you can not read the course heading off the outside compass rose (the arrow at the end of the course line shows direction, not course heading), to read the course setting, you need to read the bearing in the bottom RH corner of the HSI i.e. CSEL

Then, it just constantly drifts away from the set 250 resulting in a huge discrepancy (20 degrees in my attachment) which results in it being a pointless exercise as I cannot use this info to make the correct heading to the runway.

As you approach the course line, heading to the TACAN gets closer to 280°M as that is the desired course (CSEL) you have entered.

As well as using the course slew switch, you can also enter your desired course directly into the UFC (after holding the course slew for a couple of seconds).

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

In the first screenshot 250 is where the course line intersects with the compass markings, but shouldn't be used as an intercept heading.

If you want to set a heading to fly directly over the TACAN station and then fly the runway heading, that info is in the top left of the HSI. In the first screenshot you'd set a heading for 235 and fly for 30. In the second you'd set a heading for 248 and fly for 14.

If you want to set a heading behind the TACAN station, then you just have to imagine a line intersecting the course line and set your heading. For instance, you could fly 210 for what looks like 20 to intercept the course line maybe 10 nm behind the TACAN.

Hope that helps.

Sorry guys, I've been really stupid, as I suspected. I wasn't setting the course by CSEL, I was pointing the arrowhead at the heading!

All sorted.

Thanks for all your contributions and patience!

Sorry guys, I've been really stupid, as I suspected. I wasn't setting the course by CSEL, I was pointing the arrowhead at the heading!

All sorted.

Thanks for all your contributions and patience!

oh, well there you go. Good deal, have fun!

Strike

USLANTCOM.com