Mig-19 hype?

Jester986

The MiG-19p was the stepping stone to the MiG-21, having earlier variants of many of the systems present on that aircraft. The design specification specified "something that could out-maneuver anything the West had" but also required all-weather interception capabilities. It had a very advanced gunsight for it's time - allowing for a rough 0-visibility gun solution to be worked out. As well as this it had R3S missiles, 2 of them. So a beast in dogfights, and an all weather interceptor. With the added bonus of clunky early Soviet systems, like the sound based RWR (as in the late MiG-15s, though IIRC these are not yet modeled in DCS).

The MiG-19pm is an all weather interceptor, focusing sully on its 4 SAR missiles - NO GUN! And the MiG-19s is the ultimate dogfighting variant, being the most maneuverable and equipped with the best guns. Though not carrying missiles.

As well as this all of them (with the exception of the MiG-19pm, IIRC) can carry A/G munitions. Though the MiG-19pm's missiles could theoretically be used like the Groms.

That's why I'm definitely going to get my hands an a MiG-19.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Also, the MiG-19 was used by many countries, which makes it interesting for people either living in these countries or sympathising with them.

The MiG-19 was also used in different versions in famous wars like Vietnam or the Middle East. With a Syria map in the making that is hopefully covering Israel as well, the MiG-19 will have a fantastic "playground".

It also comes from an era where flying and fighting in the air was still something very hands-on, involving, not the "point and click to fire" of our times.

MIG-19 was the First supersonic Jet in the Soviet Inventroy, with all moving tail and not suffer from the instability at high Mach Numbers from the MIG-15/17 Designs...

We need a Vietnam Map :D

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Correct me if i am wrong but i believe the USAF in the vietnam war feared the Mig-19 more than the Mig-21. The Mig-19 was far more superior in dogfight manouvering than the Mig-21. And it seemed the NVA pilots were more adapted to it than the “newer” 21. The Mig-21 was not a very logical follow up from 5he 15-17-19 series. A completly different bird and feathers. And the differences might have been to much for the fast and quick learning curve of the nva pilot.

Edited by sascha01

Correct me if i am wrong but i believe the USAF in the vietnam war feared the Mig-19 more than the Mig-21. The Mig-19 was far more superior in dogfight manouvering than the Mig-21.

According to "Clashes: Air Combat over North Vietnam, 1965–1972" the MiG-21 was seen as more dangerous by the USAF crews because it was the first NVA fighter with guided missiles, whereas the MiG-17 and MiG-19 were solely equipped with guns and needed to get in closer for the kill. Most of the kills the NVA scored were sneak-up attacks guided by GCA anyway, and here the Atoll-equipped MiG-21 was better off, being faster and having a better stand-off range. True dogfighting seemed to have happened not that often, and this goes with the basic analysis that in the history of air combat about 80% of all downed pilots never saw the attacker before they got shot down.

Was looking sometime ago a quiet Intressting Doku about this stuff, and the NVA Tatics was not that bad at all...

They send MIG-17/19 to attack the Strike Package heavy loaded F-105, when the F-4 Phantoms come for help they zoom in with the MIG-21 firing the Atoll Missiles and leave fast the Battle what the older MIgs cant do...

They try most of the time only hit and run Tactics to prevent longer Fights with superior Numbers of US/USN Aircrafts.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Mig-19 was not popular with Vietnamese pilots. They preferred the simpler Mig-17 over it (easier to operate, maintain and I guess better fuel consumption?) Mig-21 was viewed as a very dangerous foe by the american pilots. Mostly due to the high speed "one pass, haul ass" tactics.

As Robin Olds said about the 21: "You could fight them down low. Dogfight If you wish. But up high... forget it."

The Mig-17/19 was better dogfighters. The Mig-21 was more valueble and the nvaf didn't have many. So they would dogfight and turn with their Mig-17 / Mig-19s and the Mig-21s would sneak up fast, fire missiles and leave. Guerilla tactics in the sky...

Definitely a buy. Love flying the DCS MiG's!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Very excited for the Mig-19. The only thing I'm concerned about is how well they manage to implement the Spin Scan radar. Old school pulsed analog radars are hit or miss in DCS. The Viggen and Mig-21 radars were done well. But the F-5E radar was very poorly done.

MIG-19 Spin Scan radar

E9XPj4.gif

XoXMEo.gif

Given that none of those variants is from the Vietnam conflict - no, Vietnam is not coming.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro