Sounds and vibrations during taxi and take off/landing

HWasp

Hi!

One of the few small problems for me with most current DCS modules is that I feel like aircraft behaviour on the ground is a bit sterile. According to my experience there are more sounds and vibrations during ground ops even on the rather smooth surfaces of most european airports. I'd think that taking off any of the less maintained concrete runways of the Caucasus map would be quite the ride with most high speed jets.

Also during those rather hard landings, that are normal procedure for the Hornet, I would expect some noticable sounds from the landing gear.

I think it would add greatly to the immersion of the virtual pilots if you could improve that aspect a little bit overall in DCS and also with the Hornet.

Edited by HWasp
spelling error

Landing isn't really that loud , the loudest thing is the NLG bouncing along, its a combo of the Freeplay in the drag brace and then NLG mounting points its definitely the loudest thing during taxi, takeoff and landing roll out. The current afterburner is pretty spot on for what it sounds like in the cockpit and the high aoa buffet.

Thanks for the info! Small details like that would help to really make the aircraft feel alive.

As for the landing, I'd think about exaggerating the effects just a little bit, even if the real plane is quite silent, because that is the only feedback flying on a PC.

As this part is quite subjective I'd see it as immersion building artwork rather than exact simulation.

Thanks for the info! Small details like that would help to really make the aircraft feel alive.

As for the landing, I'd think about exaggerating the effects just a little bit, even if the real plane is quite silent, because that is the only feedback flying on a PC.

As this part is quite subjective I'd see it as immersion building artwork rather than exact simulation.

Yep, not everybody can afford/want a feedback device like the jetseat.

From what I remember, audibly you can hear the tires (similar to a car) rumble on the runway and hear when you cross the segments of the concrete but just as importantly you can feel the vibration of the tires as they rumble on the runway at high speeds.

The vibration obviously can't be simmed but I have confidence ED will capture the sounds really well based on the other released modules I have played with.

I think the F5 module impressed me most with what I see and hear during t/o and landings.

I think the one thing I'm really looking forward to is the flimsy wing bounce during taxi depending on armament load.

Sytem Specs: Asus armor Z170 mobo, Intel 6700k i7 chip, gtx 1080, 32g DDR4, 800watt pws, Win10, Samsung NVME M.2 256G Drive, 1T Samsung Evo SSD, 250G Corsair SSD, Asus 4k 28" 60hz Monitor, Oculus Rift, WarthogTM stick and throttle, CH rudder pedals

Ok, so I am not a pilot, but having let that out I want to say that I am not sure how much "liveliness" a small jet like a fighter would display? In my mind you would have wing flex in the air under G, but the planes are built for high stress and I imagine have some rigidness built into them. I also know that early jets had to have little vibrating thingys installed in the gauges to make the needle read correctly because of how smooth jets and jet propulsion was. Any chance we are being overly critical as interweb aviators?

From what I remember, audibly you can hear the tires (similar to a car) rumble on the runway and hear when you cross the segments of the concrete but just as importantly you can feel the vibration of the tires as they rumble on the runway at high speeds.

The vibration obviously can't be simmed but I have confidence ED will capture the sounds really well based on the other released modules I have played with.

I think the F5 module impressed me most with what I see and hear during t/o and landings.

The rumble is simulated. Just need the right interface to experience it. Search Simshaker, or the more popular Buttkicker.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

This Simshaker/buttkicker seems a bit too much immersion for me... :megalol:

Thank you, rumble is the right word. I am basically talking about the sound effects, everybody can experience, while taking any flight as a passenger in a jet airliner.

It seems to me, that this part of the sim is beeing constantly improved as well, the F-5 definetaly has recieved some very nice effects since release. Also the old Su-25 is quite good in this regard.

The rumble is simulated. Just need the right interface to experience it. Search Simshaker, or the more popular Buttkicker.

I am aware but not interested in these type of devices.

I think it would be more cost-effective to tape a woofer to my chair.

When the day comes where affordable hydraulic chairs become the norm that help simulate Gs then I will be interested in this sim-feedback niche market.

I know of one serious undertaking that continues to suffer delays which means we are years away.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

One of the few small problems for me with most current DCS modules is that I feel like aircraft behaviour on the ground is a bit sterile. According to my experience there are more sounds and vibrations during ground ops even on the rather smooth surfaces of most european airports. I'd think that taking off any of the less maintained concrete runways of the Caucasus map would be quite the ride with most high speed jets.

Like all the squeaks and rattles as you taxi over bumps, like a 1980s Japanese car, or a 2010s American car :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!