Military and Aviation News Thread (NO DISCUSSION)

topol-m

A place to collect military and aviation related news.

I'll start with this:

The first AESA-equipped Rafale delivered

"Handed over to France's DGA defence procurement agency at Dassault's Merignac assembly site on 2 October, single-seat aircraft C137 will enter French air force service with the Thales RBE2 radar. The DGA says it will be delivered to Mont-de-Marsan air base "in the coming days".

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/picture-france-accepts-first-aesa-equipped-rafale-377216/

*This is Military and Aviation News Thread v2.0 cause v1.0, which was the second most viewed thread in Military and Aviation section, got unexpectedly deleted for unknown reason. I sincerely hope this thread would not have the same fate, it's nice to have a thread like this that would collect news in one place instead of having countless threads flooding the forum.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, the upgrade has been planned for a while, but they likely won't refit most of them until the late 201x's. Same with the F-15C's, though those are planned to be completed by 2015-ish. It's all part of the USAF's Eagle modernization procurement plan, and also included some massive upgrades for the entire Eagle/Mudhen fleet.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Most F-15C/D/E gets AESA (APG-63v3)

February news that 350 F-16 gets the SABR or RACR AESA kits because of F35 delays

F-18E/F gets the APG-79 systems

Gripen NG (if ever flies again) gets ELEX Galileo Raven ES-05 AESA

India to buy 40 "Super" Su-30MKI with IRBIS-E AESA

And I guess the list goes on . . .

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

What they are saying is that the eagle will end up with a better radar than the f-22 and it will illuminate targets for it.

I didn't really understand that tactic when I heard it unless the F-22's radar massively gives away its position and leaves it vulnerable. Sure the F-15's radar might be better but the F-22 is way stealthier and can get much closer without detection, meaning that a lesser radar would still be more effective. :huh:

Haven't they got AEW for long range targeting anyway?

Surely the sensible tactic is to send the F-22 forward, hit as many targets BVR as it can, then lock targets for the radar-vulnerable F-15C, whilst it remains at a relatively safe distance, then merge and mop-up.

U-214 Submarines in the Noble mariner 2012 exercise. Note the "HUD" shots :)

Full_cfj5hk7gxdvy.jpg

photo_05out_(29).jpg

photo_05out_(9).jpg

the ships in this declassified footage are:

- HDMS Esbern Snare (L17) Absalon Class

- Tonnerre (L9014) Mistral Class

- Jean Bart (D615) Cassard Class

In 2011 the NRP Tridente spent 1/3 of the year at sea, completing 2 missions. Thats 65 days each mission without refueling or resupply, exceeding the types official declassified specifications.

Previosuly this spring it was at Norfolk for fleetex exercise where it operated alongside nuclear subs, for systems certifications.

Noble mariner lasted 40 days, the ship was NRP Arpão.

Edited by Pilotasso

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123322721

10/17/2012 - EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AFNS) -- An F-35A conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) aircraft completed the first in-flight weapons release of a 2,000 pound GBU-31 BLU-109 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) from a 5th Generation fighter, Oct. 16.

The flight was conducted by U.S. Air Force Maj. Eric "Doc" Schultz. The aircraft, known as AF-1, jettisoned an instrumented GBU-31 over the China Lake test range from the left internal weapons bay.

The F-35A 5th Generation fighter is designed to carry a payload of up to 18,000 pounds using 10 weapon stations. The F-35A features four internal weapon stations located in two weapon bays to maximize stealth capability. The CTOL aircraft can also utilize an additional three external weapon stations per wing if required.

F-35B is getting closer to IOC: http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/asd_10_22_2012_p02-01-509033.xml

In a month or two it all becomes very real!

Its a pretty exciting idea, except for how little I like the F-35.

The idea of being involved in launching a new era of aviation for your armed forces though... being right there for the first one delivered and the first one made operational... damn. I would still be proud to do that.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.