HUD glass tint too dark top half...and a couple of other questions

https://files.fm/u/k99skpfd

Copy the content from the zip to dcs\mods\aircrafts\f18c\cockpit\textures zip file and overwrite them.

Thank You! I was struggling with the too dark HUD, losing sight of targets, unable to see in anything through it in low light conditions. It was my biggest dislike of the module.

The problem is in trying to emulate the color of the actual HUD, the developers sacrificed the ability to actually see through it and use it in combat in a computer game.

While in some videos and photos the actual HUD does look dark, the way our eyes see is much different than what a camera records our how it looks on a monitor.

PC

i7 7700k

Gigabyte Z270

MSI GTX 1070

32gb DDR4

500gb EVO 850 SSD DCS

500gb EVO 960 NVMe SSD Windows

Hi guys,

Here are the HUD textures modified by myself according to real F/A-18C HUD.

You can use them if you like. Remember to backup your default textures!

Regards

sopebird

I see 3 examples posted with only 1 download, can you upload the first one on the left, the clear one?

edit: Is the one you uploaded the first on the left? I tried it and there still is a small tint but pretty light.

Edited by fitness88

I see 3 examples posted with only 1 download, can you upload the first one on the left, the clear one?

edit: Is the one you uploaded the first on the left? I tried it and there still is a small tint but pretty light.

They're all the same dude. The 'tint' gets reduced for your eyes when there is a lot of brightness ahead, making you think there was no tint to begin with.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

They're all the same dude. The 'tint' gets reduced for your eyes when there is a lot of brightness ahead, making you think there was no tint to begin with.

Ah...polarization lens, thanks!

Edited by fitness88

Very difficult to see the target on the new map area in A2A ... either against the sky or the sea.

that looks so horrible dark... ED please fix this

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

I can't get either of the mods to work. It always shows the green "no texture" -texture. I tried unzipping the folder, then replacing the files, and leaving it as a folder or zipping it up again. Neither worked. Any ideas?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

HUD Opacity - A/G Target Visibility

The HUD has a very dark tint especially in the upper part. While airborn targets are still well visible against the brightness of the sky, I find that ground targets become almost invisible. Even when not looking through the HUD, ground targets are often difficult to spot as there is very little contrast between the target and the ground texture. The HUD opacity makes it even more difficult. My workarounds are:

1. Zoom in once I know once I'm flying towards where the targets are. However I have to zoom out gradually as I approach the target to avoid overcorrecting.

2. Reduce HUD symbology brightness so the HUD symbols are less distracting.

These methods help a little but I'm not happy at all. We had a similar issue with the Bf-109 and FW-190 windshield, and I'm grateful to the guys who came up with a mod that reduces the opacity.

Now I hope that either ED gives us at least an option to adjust opacity, or someone comes up with a mod to improve visibility!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I have no idea why any of you think it's too dark. Have you got your gamma set too low?

Look at real huds, this one is cleary far too dark. HUD glass is clear but the coating my cause it to look darker at an angle. I personally have my gamma set to 1.6 in the Rift and I find myself looking around the HUD a lot in order to see things.

Edit: Keep also in mind that gamma **Should** be at 1.0 actually, but we need to tweak it because we don't have brightness and contrast controls.

https://files.fm/u/k99skpfd

I noticed a thread yesterday started by fitness88 about it and this is his friends mod to change the tint, although I’ve not tried it yet. I hope ED will address this as well, as far too dark at the moment.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Hi guys,

Regards

sopebird

Nice work, gonna try this when I get home. :thumbup:

i7-6850K | GTX1080 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Pro

Hi guys,

Regards

sopebird

This is awesome, a lot better than the current texture. For me it's almost perfect (ED please, use this texture)

Thank you a lot! :)

Look at real huds, this one is cleary far too dark. HUD glass is clear but the coating my cause it to look darker at an angle. I personally have my gamma set to 1.6 in the Rift and I find myself looking around the HUD a lot in order to see things.

Edit: Keep also in mind that gamma **Should** be at 1.0 actually, but we need to tweak it because we don't have brightness and contrast controls.

No, the default gamma for consumer monitors is 2.1 or 2.2

I recommend you to calibrate your monitor for the standard gamma of 2.1 for low end. If you don't have a calibrator and don't want to have one, you can do it using the MK1 Eyeball and webpages like this: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Don't forget to have very well calibrated the Black level and the Saturation (white and colors) this is the most common problem in consumers monitors.

Also the gamma in DCS must to be 2.1 if your monitor is well calibrated for this gamma.

About the VR, this is the same, you must to calibrate it like a monitor.

Edited by riojax

Can't do that in Oculus Rift. Either way, setting in-game gamma to 2.1 makes the outside far too washed out and setting it lower like I have makes the cockpit barely usable. Something's gotta give. This is all separate from the HUD issue though, regardless of setting, that HUD eats too much light right now.

Yep, Oculus banned a lot methods to tune the displays, for example, the NVidia control panel, and yes, it's lame policy.

About the washed, and more blabla, when you have the monitor well calibrated (using 2.1 or 2.2 for gamma value), all is perfect. No washed colors, too much saturation, etc. I recommend you invest 15 minutes to calibrate the monitor and test the 2.1 or 2.2 gamma setting ingame.

P.S: Anyway, the current hud tint is too dark and the sopebird textures are a lot better/realistic.

Edited by riojax

This is awesome, a lot better than the current texture. For me it's almost perfect (ED please, use this texture)

Thank you a lot! :)

Couldn't agree more, great job sopebird! :beer:

For those looking for JSGME-option, copy files to this folder structure: Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures\FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES

i7-6850K | GTX1080 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Pro

I have no idea why any of you think it's too dark. Have you got your gamma set too low?

My Gamma is at 2.2.

Would be interesting to see your screen and your settings. But the HUD is definitively too dark for effective visual target acquisition with my hardware and settings. And I'm obviously not the only one having an issue.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5