Shkval target box not tracking - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
J3ST3R

Default Shkval target box not tracking

Hi all, not played ka50 for a while but got back into it yesterday. I noticed when I go to lock a target on the shkval, the target box doesn't lock. I seem to remember from when I last played it, when you lock a target, the target box would slightly dance around on the target and id get a TA appear on the display. Now I click to lock target and can fire a missile but I can still move the target box.

Any one have any ideas on why it's not locking and tracking the target?
Old 08-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Kappi

Either it´s to dark, the target is already destroyed or the box is too big for the target.

Try playing with the size of the box and make sure the target is life.

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!
Kappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Ranma13

In real life, the Shkval uses contrast detect to lock targets, similar to the contrast focus system in digital cameras. You can lock onto anything that has enough contrast with its surroundings, such as trees, rocks, etc.

In DCS, the Shkval can only lock certain target types, and the maximum range of the lock is not based on contrast, but rather the sun's position in the sky. This is why sometimes you can clearly see a target with good contrast, but still not be able to lock it. You'll get the maximum lock range around noon, and it drops off significantly as it approaches late afternoon to early dusk. I don't have any solid figures, but at noon you should be able to lock to out to 8km, and drops off to 4-6km just before dusk.
Ranma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Fri13

If we would just have part of missing half of the capabilities the KA-50 to DCS, it would make things more interesting. Even Su-25T would benefit a lot from it!

Just try to get the lock, making the gate smaller than target works more often as a fix.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
J3ST3R

Ok, so I got it working. tried on 1.5 for comparison. It tracked at about 3km. this was on the instant action shooting range miz.

In 2.1, again in the instant action miz, it tracked at 2.5km but im guessing that is due to the time of day as it looked dawn/duskish.

thanks for the help guys
Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 AM   #6
zxarkov

Also good to know, you can guide a vikar missile without lock on by launch override,slew gate over target. Good if it gets dark.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
fudabidu

In DCS the Shkval doesn't work with contrast, but with assumed light level. The assumption is made based on atmospheric conditions and time of day.

You can have the sun in the back, clearly illuminating any targets and still don't get a lock. It's worse with air targets that are clearly silhouetted against the sky.

It's really dumb to put it mildly, but the lack of feedback on my recent thread about similar issues tells me nobody at ED gives a crap about the Ka-50.

In terms of "[Ka-50] missing half of the capabilities":
The Ka-50 we got is prototype #12, not a production model.
fudabidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #8
Flagrum
Veteran

I just ran into the same problem. After jumping into the Shark after quite some time, I was unable to get the Shkval to lock to anything, no matter if dead/alive/scenery/just ground and no matter how far/close (i.e. <1km). Time of day was 10 am in October, Caucasus 2.5.

Even more weired: when using the HMS, it would lock-on to anything right away! ... as I would have expected, even without the HMS.

Flagrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:14 AM   #9
monkie

You are absolutely right, lock and tracking is now very inconsistent.

In the past I would make the tracking box as small as possible and locking onto targets was almost too easy. It didn't seem to follow the manual but it worked and always kept the box as small as it would go.

Now it seems that there is no consistency to lock and tracking. I have tried from all differen't ranges and tracking box sizes and sometimes I get a lock and sometimes not. I found that sometimes if I'm zoomed out fully I can't get a lock but the moment I zoom in on the target it locks on without me even pressing the lock button.

So yes something has changed in 2.5 It seems we went from easy lock to maybe lock and the truth most likely is somewhere between the two.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
The_Dan

I can't archive a lock too since 2.5, only tested in Caucasus. Hope this topic will be looked at.
The_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote