Waypoint following autopolit ?

ShadowViper70

Ok I have to ask this as I have not found this any where . Will the F-18 have a full function

autopilot ? I am not talking about during EA ,I mean by the time all said and done . If not why?

As this is a basic system that all modern military aircraft have . Its one of the reasons GPS

was invented by the US military and there for this hornet cant be called professional level or

quality. I would be like not having landing gear installed . This goes for other ED models like

the F-15 and A-10 these all have the ability to follow and fly a flight plan. in fact the hornet

Is call the Hands Off Aircraft , meaning it can fly its self without pilot input .

so with that said will this be a authentic complete Hornet or only half of one ?

And FYI These systems are in general not classified . Even civil aircraft have pretty much the same systems based of the military versions.

thank you !

Apparently a CASE II/III recovery involves a holding pattern of 2 mins level flight, a 1 minute 180 degree turn, another 2 minutes level flight and then another 1 minute 180 degree turn. I wondered if anyone knows whether this is done manually or whether there's an autopilot function for it?

This includes waypoint following, terrain ( map of the earth ) following, and speed hold . thing all modern military aircraft autopilot can do.

Uhhh no. There’s plenty that just have an altitude / altitude hold and nothing else.

• Like 1

The Hornet doesn’t have automatic terrain following radar, just radar altimeter hold.

Great over the sea or flat terrain, but not over mountains :music_whistling:

Generally speaking, there is no reason to doubt that functions described in the NATOPS available online won’t be integrated into the module at some point.

If we have to ask for every system there will be hundreds of threads like this...

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The Hornet doesn’t have automatic terrain following radar, just radar altimeter hold.

Great over the sea or flat terrain, but not over mountains :music_whistling:

Generally speaking, there is no reason to doubt that functions described in the NATOPS available online won’t be integrated into the module at some point.

If we have to ask for every system there will be hundreds of threads like this...

Given the track record of ED's model's on this matter I not going to assume that it will be pit in .

Because that has not been the case. ( Black shark being the exception ). Look I am not asking the Deb's for some space age radar or outrageous weapon system , I am asking if they are going to make sure that the autopilot is modeled with the real word F-18 functionality. Like they did with the landing gear , the ejection seat, and other basic functions of the aircraft . Auto heading hold and auto altitude hold is NOT a autopilot , That all together is called auto trim, its not the same. There is more to the autopilot then that .

Given the track record of ED's model's on this matter I not going to assume that it will be pit in .

Because that has not been the case. ( Black shark being the exception ). Look I am not asking the Deb's for some space age radar or outrageous weapon system , I am asking if they are going to make sure that the autopilot is modeled with the real word F-18 functionality. Like they did with the landing gear , the ejection seat, and other basic functions of the aircraft . Auto heading hold and auto altitude hold is NOT a autopilot , That all together is called auto trim, its not the same. There is more to the autopilot then that .

Does the F/A 18C even have this? Where did you get the idea that it does?

2.9 AUTOMATIC FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM (AFCS)

The automatic flight control system (autopilot) has two basic modes: pilot relief and data link. The pilot relief mode consists of heading hold, heading select, attitude hold, barometric altitude hold, radar altitude hold, control stick steering (CSS) and coupled steering.

The data link mode consists of automatic carrier landing (ACL), precision course direction, and vector approach.

With MC OFP 13C AND UP, the coupled steering consists of azimuth steering line couple (ASL), bank angle control (BNK), coupled waypoint steering (WYPT), coupled auto sequential steering (SEQ ( )), and coupled TACAN steering (TCN).

It does.:smilewink:

Apart from Ka-50 there is the A-10C, and there is plenty to do with it...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

The real world F/A-18C is capable of autopilot coupled to the navigation system, if that's what you're asking. There's no reason to believe ED will skip modeling that based on current development of the module

Saw a vid showing DCS Hornet autopilot coupled to HSI waypoint...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It does.:smilewink:

Apart from Ka-50 there is the A-10C, and there is plenty to do with it...

CPL - Coupled mode. This mode is a generic way to name all modes that are Coupled to something like a TACAN, and ILS or a WAYPOINT. What you are coupled to, depends on the mode that has been selected on the HSI screen. To change Coupling mode, select either "TCN", "ILS" or "WPT" on the HSI, to toggle between modes. NOTE: Of course, to use WPT mode, you first have to create a flight plan! Without a flight plan, the only modes available for coupling will be TCN and ILS.

Guess you missed this mode ! ( Taken from a new article on the F-18c secs and avionics systems. )

The KA-50 does have a waypoint follow autopilot mode although clunky. As for the A-10 it dose not. But the real world A-10 warthog Does.

• Like 1

Look I am not he to try and start drama . If it came off that way I apologize. I just wanted a straight yes or no answer to my question From the Dev's. As I am not one to assume anything . and Since I have not seen it stated anywhere from the Dev's one way or the other I came here to ask them.

I just wanted a straight yes or no answer to my question From the Dev's. As I am not one to assume anything . and Since I have not seen it stated anywhere from the Dev's one way or the other I came here to ask them

I realise it's tempting to 'just ask' whenever you don't know something - it's a forum after all - but if you'd done a little digging, you could have answered your question yourself.

As you'll have seen, your question has been answered by people referring to previously released material.

They have said coupled mode autopilot will be implemented sometime after early access release.

& yourself:

CPL - Coupled mode. This mode is a generic way to name all modes that are Coupled to something like a TACAN, and ILS or a WAYPOINT. What you are coupled to, depends on the mode that has been selected on the HSI screen. To change Coupling mode, select either "TCN", "ILS" or "WPT" on the HSI, to toggle between modes. NOTE: Of course, to use WPT mode, you first have to create a flight plan! Without a flight plan, the only modes available for coupling will be TCN and ILS.

Right now there are nearly 400 people looking at the forum. Over the course of the day there will presumably be several thousand.

It's not realistic to expect E.D. to answer the same question repeatedly every time each one of those people thinks of it.

They post FACs and videos, then expect people to look for themselves and try to only ask questions that are 'new'.

You're new - if you have trouble working out how to look for stuff on the forum just ask - you'll get a better response than you got here because people would rather teach you how to fish than spend their time fishing for you :)

Oh, and in case you missed it, "the real world A-10 warthog version modelled in DCS Does NOT have a rote following AP", which is why the DCS version doesn't either.

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Guess you missed this mode ! ( Taken from a new article on the F-18c secs and avionics systems. )

The KA-50 does have a waypoint follow autopilot mode although clunky. As for the A-10 it dose not. But the real world A-10 warthog Does.

Are you kidding me ?

I just quote a paragraph from NATOPS which explains there are different coupling mode.

I skipped the next paragraph which explains how to select each mode on the HSI page because obviously I won’t quote the full NATOPS.:smilewink:

Even if it’s note what you meant, you went full drama, and there was another topic about auto throttle that went the same way.

But these systems are well described in NATOPS, already simulated in other Hornet/ Super Hornet simulators, this are part of aircraft normal use, there is no reason to believe ED will skip it.

Let’s wait & see in due time.

Mirage fanatic !