Same old issue

An unrealistic feature exists from the start of DCS is: if you rush into grass land from runway, and stop, then you won't be able to move even if you push the throttle to max, just stuck there, you won't be able to drive back runway. This is totally weird against physical law. Hope ED Devs can fix it someday.

An unrealistic feature exists from the start of DCS is: if you rush into grass land from runway, and stop, then you won't be able to move even if you push the throttle to max, just stuck there, you won't be able to drive back runway. This is totally weird against physical law. Hope ED Devs can fix it someday.

It's always been this way in FC3, and it's probably fairly realistic--I'm pretty sure the FC3 aircraft are all intended for hard-surface operation only, and rolling through the dirt/grass will cause the wheels to dig in and you'll get stuck.

Still, I have a hard time believing that a lightly loaded F-15 or Su-27 at full afterburning thrust wouldn't be able to roll its way out, so you could be right.

The MiG-21 could operate from soft surfaces, the wheels were big enough for the aircraft's weight that it wouldn't sink in. If you have the module, you can try rolling onto the grass and you shouldn't get stuck. I haven't tried it in a while though.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey
forgot something

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Actually, it's just not true.

If you're not fully loaded with fuel and weapons and you stop, most of the time you can drive away again. If you're unlucky you might actually get stuck.

Here are 27 pages of discussion around the same issue here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196639

If you look there are multiple videos and tracks of people taxiing, stopping, starting, landing and taking off from the grass in various aircraft.

An example:

As well as that video there is a track I posted of landing taxiing, stopping, starting and taking off from the grass in an Su-25

I can summarise the thread for you.

The modelling is a reasonable - perhaps generous - representation of the probability of you getting stuck.

The ground is not all the same hardness and is modelled as rough & having some boggy bits.

95% of the time you can taxi on the grass. Occasionally you'll get stuck or break something.

If you do stop, usually full power either lets you taxi off, or creep along till you get out of a sticky bit, then you're away.

If you don't want to risk getting stuck - Don't taxi on the grass.

Cheers.

Actually, it's just not true.

The ground is not all the same hardness and is modelled as rough & having some boggy bits.

95% of the time you can taxi on the grass. Occasionally you'll get stuck or break something.

If you do stop, usually full power either lets you taxi off, or creep along till you get out of a sticky bit, then you're away.

If you don't want to risk getting stuck - Don't taxi on the grass.

-------No,nobody could believe that tons of thrust couldn't get a jet out of a stuck, unless you remove the wheels and bury the gear under the ground.

-------No,nobody could believe that tons of thrust couldn't get a jet out of a stuck, unless you remove the wheels and bury the gear under the ground.

In real life? You would end up with exactly that possibly... You could rip off the landing gear as you get even more and more bogged, as you dig in deeper the trust would be pointed downwards more pushing you in deeper.

jetlite-flight-veered-off-taxiway-ani-650_650x400_81505256099.jpg

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

In real life? You would end up with exactly that possibly... You could rip off the landing gear as you get even more and more bogged, as you dig in deeper the trust would be pointed downwards more pushing you in deeper.

jetlite-flight-veered-off-taxiway-ani-650_650x400_81505256099.jpg

-

---So ED deliberately had such setting, but just overdone?

The MiG-21 could operate from soft surfaces, the wheels were big enough for the aircraft's weight that it wouldn't sink in. If you have the module, you can try rolling onto the grass and you shouldn't get stuck. I haven't tried it in a while though.

AD

Didn't work for me since i sometimes up my landings and i wasn't able to get the mig21 out of the grass even with a fuel load under 1000 and no weapons left except for around 60% guns ammunition. And no i didn't roll on the grass with 200kmh it was around 60-70 when i tried to reach the taxi way and up the steering so i ended in the grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLWB41THWKM

Edited by BIGNEWY

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Rather than let you drive away unharmed. 8 hours hard work by ground crew and days delay for your departure is one of most likely happened things irl scenarios.

"Can you survive it" depends on how stiff those mud and dirt are. However i dont think ED will put a mud/dirt stiffness model on their priority list.

Didn't work for me since i sometimes up my landings and i wasn't able to get the mig21 out of the grass even with a fuel load under 1000 and no weapons left except for around 60% guns ammunition. And no i didn't roll on the grass with 200kmh it was around 60-70 when i tried to reach the taxi way and up the steering so i ended in the grass.

60-70 kph, 37-43 mph, or 32-38 knots is a little on the swift side for taxi, perhaps this is a factor when it comes to attempting that on DCS' grass etc, while going off-piste. By comparison I was taught to taxi at a pace that someone could run alongside without having a coronary, though of course I imagine that military aircraft have a far more robust undercarriage than most things found in GA.

Edited by BIGNEWY
1.1 in quotes

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

• ED Team

Here is a picture of the devs standing around trying to fix the issue....

21920148_BG3.jpg

The solution...

You need a really big person to pull you out....

gigantic-rc-turbin-jet-powered-sr-71-blackbird-aircraft-show-1024x536.jpg

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

F-16 tyres are inflated to 320 lb / in^2

320 pounds per square inch will push something into sandy soil quite well.

Some where talking about this in that other thread, the ground crew needed to put ply under the wheels when parked on some airport asphalt when hot, to spread out the weight more.

airplane_runway.jpeg.860x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

Edit: This looks like the aircraft was taxiing? Look at the left wheel in the photo behind it, looks like it was getting deeper.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Ok, guys, the pictures or videos you showed are all jets had their wheels sunk into the soft and wet ground. But we all get stucked even if on the Nevada's damn dry and hard desert ground. How could you explian? Isn't it overdone.

You can drive wherever you want - which is probably not realistic either. Just use your throttle a lot to maintain 20-40 knots. You cannot stop though!

When you have no reverse thrust you have to think where you go - like in SokoBan :)

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

#1 A prepared grass or dirt strip is not the same as 'that field over there'

#2 Ground hardness varies in DCS. It is possible to take off and land in a field if it is relatively hard and you miss the trees, etc

#3 If you bog down completely in real life and did something incredibly stupid like go full burner, you would end up destroying the aircraft

#4 'rough strip capability' means the aircraft has reinforced landing gear to deal with running 200mph on a runway that's not perfectly smooth and may have 'flaws' which would otherwise damage the undercarriage. That phrase does not magically turn a fragile airplane into a rebel flag waving Jeep 4x4 that you can skip across ditches, rivers, boulders, or swampland.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

This is OT but the thrust required to taxi on tarmac is far too high. This isn’t just my opinion, this is in the -1 for the F-15:

Due to excess thrust at idle power, taxi speed requires continual attenuation.

From a Hushkit article:

The F-15 was barely three years old when I started flying it. It even smelled new. It was the state of the art in 1978, and coming from the comparatively primitive T-37, a quantum leap beyond anything I’d experienced. My overwhelming first impression was of power. Once started, with both engines at idle, it strained against the chocks. Taxiing out, you had to work the brakes constantly to keep it from rolling too fast.

Sorry again for going OT but this is the far more annoying ‘same old issue’ for me.