Prebuying inquiry - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #21
some1

Just pointing out, that L-39 is good only for limited COIN scenarios. Which we have very little in DCS World, as you have said already. There are other airplanes in DCS that can perform the same tasks and much more. So unless you have all other aircraft for DCS, have a buddy with whom you can fly shared cockpit in MP, or you just love COIN missions where no one shoots back at you, there are more interesting choices for that money.

I'm not denying that L-39 is a very good quality module, better than most offerings from 3rd parties.

Owned modules & betas: A-10C; Ka-50; P-51; FW-190D; UH-1; FC; FC2; FC3; L-39C/ZA; MiG-15bis; F-86F Sabre; Bf 109 K-4; F-5E; Mi-8MTV2; M-2000C; SA-342; MiG-21bis; C-101 Aviojet; Hawk T.1A; Spitfire IX; AJS 37; AV-8B;NTTR; PG
Hardware: Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift CV1
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:24 AM   #22
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
love COIN missions where no one shoots back at you
What? If you think a typical COIN mission is one where no-one shoots back at you, you're sorely mistaken. Those insurgents wield AK-47s and RPGs and they'll certainly shoot at you given the chance. I just wish they had more lo-tec hardware on their side, such as technicals etcetera, but that's another discussion altogether so let's leave it at that for now.

As IRL, you don't use this plane against a heavily-armed enemy. But it is still perfectly capable of taking out even BMPs and such, provided that you, again, know what you're doing. And that is exactly what makes this plane so interesting, because you need skills in order to operate her effectively.

Quote:
there are more interesting choices for that money
Speak for yourself only, because there actually aren't any other "more interesting" modern(ish)-era choices in DCS currently for us stick and rudder guys. Even the F-5 lacks the basicness, simplicity and manouverability which makes this plane so beautiful. So nope, no "more interesting" choices for us back to basics guys ATM that I know.

Last edited by msalama; 04-20-2018 at 03:26 AM.
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:37 AM   #23
VZ_342

Have you tried the SU-25T? It's free, you already have it...And the SU-25 is only $10, simpler than the -25T and performance is better.
VZ_342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:38 AM   #24
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
Those insurgents wield AK-47s and RPGs and they'll certainly shoot at you given the chance.
In DCS? Never seen infantry shooting RPG at me...
Got shot down by MBT main gun a few times, but that's another matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
Speak for yourself only, because there actually aren't any other "more interesting" modern(ish)-era choices in DCS currently for us stick and rudder guys.
I wrote the same in the first part of the sentence you qouted. (the "unless you love COIN" part). If you want an argument at least please read what I write, or don't quote half of the sentence.

Owned modules & betas: A-10C; Ka-50; P-51; FW-190D; UH-1; FC; FC2; FC3; L-39C/ZA; MiG-15bis; F-86F Sabre; Bf 109 K-4; F-5E; Mi-8MTV2; M-2000C; SA-342; MiG-21bis; C-101 Aviojet; Hawk T.1A; Spitfire IX; AJS 37; AV-8B;NTTR; PG
Hardware: Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift CV1
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #25
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
(the "unless you love COIN" part)
You mean the sentence where you said "unless you love COIN missions where no-one shoots back at you"? Now what kind of a COIN mission is that? The one where they capitulate and you fly in to collect the signatures on your way to the victory boozeup?

Anyway, what all this boils down to, I suppose, is that you claimed there're other modules more interesting for the money to be had, and I opposed that claim since "interesting" is entirely a matter of taste. You could've defended, say, purchasing an A-10C as opposed to the L-39 on the grounds that the Hog offers more hi-tec bang for the buck, and that claim would've been entirely correct per se; but "interesting"? Nope. Because one man's "interesting" is another's watching the paint dry.

And that's it from me. Backing out before we start to tango around the mulberry bush here

Last edited by msalama; 04-20-2018 at 12:26 PM.
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
Aries101

Wow, discussion realy heated up lol. I ended up with decision to buy both tbh. It is true that my budget need a rest for some time..just nuff so i can actualy start fly actualy missions in Mirage and then I will buy Albatross aswell.
Aries101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #27
Dr_Arrow

L-39 is a great trainer that forces you to fly the aircraft properly. Once you master attacking ground targets in it meeting strict criteria for ingress altitude, sight settings, weapon settings, dive angle, release height, etc...once you get into Mig-21, Su-25 those things become quite easy and once you get into A-10C it all becomes super easy Once you master L-39 in all weather conditions, weapons employment and navigation, most of the other jet planes will be much easier for you to get into - and that is probably the main purpose of it (apart the possibilities to utilize it as a COIN aircraft).
Dr_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #28
Svsmokey

And let us not forget , the L-39 is a dream to fly...

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #29
Guitrz

I have to agree with msalama there. Doing ground-pounding with the L-39 is a blast!
People saying it is "useless" in multiplayer just because it can't spam Mavericks and CBUs over the targets are ridiculous.

Don't forget that you play your own game, and have fun YOUR way.

www.blacksharkden.com

"Come join us" - Bad Religion
Guitrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #30
Zius

The Albatros is one of my favourite aircraft. It's simple and really a joy to fly and practice whatever you like.

As a combat aircraft, I would like to point out that most successful COIN aircraft are a lot like the Albatros:
- Small
- Light
- Slow
- Dual seat
Think about it: Super Tucano, Strikemaster, Bronco etc. etc. all the same recipe.

The A-10 and the Su-25 are without doubt also great, but probably a bit too big and heavy for a real COIN aircraft and more suitable for tank killing etc.