HOTAS 3 positions Switches - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
Kelevra

Default HOTAS 3 positions Switches

Dear Eagles,

Would it be possible to make the HOTAS 3 positions switches work vanilla in DCS ?

For it's a pain to bind some controls to 2 or 3 different switches, that would normally go sweet to a 3 positions switch.

In that case for the L39, I think of the :
flaps & landing gear

I might add that I would rather not have to use an external program like TARGET.

Also I have noticed that for some planes it already works like a charm :
A10-C for obvious reasons...
but also the Mig-21

why not make this standard... über alles ?

Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
rrohde
Veteran

+1

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.1GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB VRAM | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM | 27" Acer Monitor (2560x1440) | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1 | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II /w MCG PRO

Chizh on the question as to why DCS development seems slower and slower: "Slower than 20 years ago? - Yes. The slowdown is primarily due to increased requirements for quality. Very few modelers are able to provide it."

rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
Golo

I would like that too and it should really be standard for all modules.
Golo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #4
Stonehouse

You can actually edit the default.lua file for the aircraft in question to give you three position switches as well as true on/off switches so you don't have to double switch a switch to turn something off. For three way switches you basically need to think of it as 2 2 way switches with the off state being the middle position. So for example the P51 flaps mapping to the Warthog throttle flap lever for instance is shown below, note the value_up is 0.8 for both. This corresponds to the middle position of the three way switch and gives me combat flaps. The up position is flaps retracted and the bottom position is landing flaps. You can do this for any HOTAS.

Quote:
{down = device_commands.Button_1, value_down = 1.0, up = device_commands.Button_1, value_up = 0.8, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_SYSTEM, name = _('Alt Flaps Up/Combat'), category = _('Flight Control')},
{down = device_commands.Button_1, value_down = 0.0, up = device_commands.Button_1, value_up = 0.8, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_SYSTEM, name = _('Alt Flaps Down/Combat'), category = _('Flight Control')},
Recommend you take a copy of the default.lua make your edits and then use JSGME to load or unload it to avoid patches messing it up.

lots of info here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

Last edited by Stonehouse; 04-25-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Stonehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
ESAc_matador

You can also do it easier with the TARGET.but is a pain in the ass!
ESAc_matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
Stonehouse

Yeah I know but I tend to prefer not to use it. Bad habits I got from my Saitek time and avoiding the odd flakey problems that came up occasionally with their profile software. Once I got my head around the lua changes I put together my P51 setup for the Warthog in probably about 4-5 hrs spread out over a couple of days. Very happy with it.
Stonehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
Phantom453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Dear Eagles,

Would it be possible to make the HOTAS 3 positions switches work vanilla in DCS ?

For it's a pain to bind some controls to 2 or 3 different switches, that would normally go sweet to a 3 positions switch.

In that case for the L39, I think of the :
flaps & landing gear

I might add that I would rather not have to use an external program like TARGET.

Also I have noticed that for some planes it already works like a charm :
A10-C for obvious reasons...
but also the Mig-21

+1 please!!!
Phantom453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #8
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post

Okay, this is about L-39 but as you mention the standard, you opened the door to comment that.

YES!

I would say that Eagle Dynamics should change the input system by making total overhaul.

No list of functions in one column and then additional columns for each input device and then you can bind a function to input devices in that row.

No no no. That is the old school style. (Yes it works etc but little improvement needs to be done)

1) Let us bind any function, to any button or any axis. Like if I want mouse X axis to move my flaps in A-10C, then let me! If I want trim wheel in my hotas to emulate mouse wheel or a HOTAS button to emulate mouse LMV, let me!

2) Let us choose specific input button/switch/dial/axis that what it is in every bind.
Example if I want my trim dial to be a two function switch, let me define it as such. Meaning that I can say that between 0-50% the input is binded to Alt+A. And between 50-100% range the input is binded to Ctrl+Z. Meaning the dial is now a switch that position is changed everytime I move its zone. And then let us emulate different functions based the times we hold the buttons. Like if I keep Button 14 pressed longer than 2 seconds, input can be F button. If I just press it once or hold less than 2 seconds, it is then G button. So a single button in HOTAS can work as multifunction button without using a another button as multiplier/switch.

So if aircraft has a multi-position input devices (switches, knobs, dials etc) then we need to be able use those with just single button or so. As we can't be required to build a pits to get all those with hardware, or required to use keyboard with combos etc.

And about what I have no idea, but if we have multi-seat aircrafts, we need to be able easily copy the inputs from seat A to seat B too.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehouse View Post
You can actually edit the default.lua file for the aircraft in question to give you three position switches as well as true on/off switches so you don't have to double switch a switch to turn something off. For three way switches you basically need to think of it as 2 2 way switches with the off state being the middle position. So for example the P51 flaps mapping to the Warthog throttle flap lever for instance is shown below, note the value_up is 0.8 for both. This corresponds to the middle position of the three way switch and gives me combat flaps. The up position is flaps retracted and the bottom position is landing flaps. You can do this for any HOTAS.

Recommend you take a copy of the default.lua make your edits and then use JSGME to load or unload it to avoid patches messing it up.

lots of info here:

Thanks for the info!

Looks like someone should make a third party external program just to configure easily the configuration files. As that is the thing, some people can do the lua programming, but most will not want to, or don't get it when they make the slight small change that text editor can't highlight as error.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Kelevra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehouse View Post

lots of info here:

Thanks really handy, I'll try that
Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hotas warthog