=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

the previous dots were overdone imho. they stood out just too obvious and had hardly anything to do with real life spotting anymore...

i think, that eekz will just not be able to please everyone here, regardless of what he is doing...

the turn must be on ED finally, to make spotting for ww2 planes usable and realistic. right now its none of the 2.

i fear we can argue here with and against each other for decades without finding a solution. instead we should somehow convince ED that spotting at least for ww2 should have top priority.

I do wish that you could include and articulate the point that spotting and identification are BOTH important and that they are NOT the same thing.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

identification is part of it. if they had focused more on proper contrast, reflections and very important, LOD models, identification would be a lot better even for us VR users.

couple this with an adjustable zoom level for VR, which would be easy to accomplish for ED, and i doubt identification would be an outstanding problem anymore.

the real answer for the spotting problems would be a good implemented smart scaling coupled with the above mentioned issues .key would be to make it subtle and dont overdo, like they did with the sprites which they called model enlargment. the past showed a couple of examples in flight sim history, were it was implemented very well.

Edited by birdstrike

I do wish that you could include and articulate the point that spotting and identification are BOTH important and that they are NOT the same thing.
I do wish that you could not be so high browed (this applies to a lot of people on this forum actually). Also, birdstrike never said a thing about plane identification in the post you quoted, so he hasn't said or alluded that they were the same thing.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the real answer for the spotting problems would be a good implemented smart scaling coupled with the above mentioned issues .key would be to make it subtle and dont overdo, like they did with the sprites which they called model enlargment. the past showed a couple of examples in flight sim history, were it was implemented very well.

+1

Though iirc DCS used to have this setting in options a while back, but got removed. Can't remember why. I think ED should bring it back.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

Though iirc DCS used to have this setting in options a while back, but got removed. Can't remember why. I think ED should bring it back.

they didnt have smart scaling, but just those awful sprites what they called model enlargment.

they were that overdone, that when i first tried dcs with this feature on, i confused a p51 with a cloud, until i noticed that the cloud was moving, and quite fast too. :lol::doh: (no joke, im serious)

for some reason, ED's comments about smart scaling were something along the lines of "smart scaling is an old technique and we will come up with something much superiour".

as if an old technique must be automatically bad. and after those comments they came up with those model enlargement sprites. which rather looked embarrassing, and rather than being superiour actually have been the worst spotting helper i have ever encountered in any flight sim so far.

fortunately, they took them out again...on the other hand, unfortunately they didnt come up with any other solution.

and now, they introduced different style of labels, as if labels were the answer to a realistic spotting system...it feels like they have given up on actually trying to improve spotting.

dont know...thats my impression. all i do know is, that the vast majority of people i have spoken to over the past several years are of the opinion that something has to be done about spotting, and that this is a huge show stopper when its about ww2.

and here on this very thread, we have people, who want the labels much more pronounced, some want it even coloured, then there are people who want them less pronounced, and then there are people who dont want any labels at all....

i am convinced, that if ED would improve spotting, that 99% of the people would fall into the last category, and hardly anybody would want labels anymore, not on a "full real server" at least. i really think thats the only answer to our dilemma.

Edited by birdstrike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi eekz,

Is the Normandy map mission in the plan to be added rather soon? :P

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Hi all

i would like to fly in Burning Skies server but i cant find it. I am new and have steam dcs world 2.5...with BF 109 without Normandy map. Do i need to install openbeta or server is dead?

I7 8700K, 16 Gb DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 , SSD, 2 DOF Motion platform (DIY), MMjoy2 DIY Joystick + throttle + pedals, WMR Lenovo Explorer

You are not alone Dejau, the server usually runs on open beta, sometimes it takes a day or two for eekz, the server host to make the changes. This combined with a new DCS update every week or so makes the whole situation pretty anoying for us. Get used to it :-)

Hi all

i would like to fly in Burning Skies server but i cant find it. I am new and have steam dcs world 2.5...with BF 109 without Normandy map. Do i need to install openbeta or server is dead?

using steam version generally is a bad idea...updates and module releases will come at a later point and a couple of other issues i have heard about...i would recommend to use the standalone dcs version. you can only win.

Some Cinematic FW-190 Dogfighting Video from the BS Server...

You have something to watch for the Breakfast :yay:

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

• 1 month later...

I have a problem. I can connect to server and play but Burning skies website statistic doesnt show me at all. It is hapening after DCS update. What should i do?

I7 8700K, 16 Gb DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 , SSD, 2 DOF Motion platform (DIY), MMjoy2 DIY Joystick + throttle + pedals, WMR Lenovo Explorer

If someone missed my creation...

Damn dude! That was good, especially that last fight! o7

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

According to Russian forum here, server has "connection lost" with the internet.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |