Is the WWII assets pack a must have for Normandy?

Gpruitt54

So then, without the asset pack there are no missions?

No missions including units from asset pack, and no possibility to connect to server with asset pack units, does not matter which map is it.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

People create the missions. Before there was a Normandy map and a WWII Assets Pack, people still created WWII missions using whatever equipment they felt fit the role of the then missing WWII equipment.

Now that the WWII Assets Pack is available, albeit not complete by far, people are building missions using the available WWII equipment. I haven't even tried to assess if anybody is building any WWII missions without any of the WWII Assets Pack, but I believe such missions will be rare at this stage, and only getting rarer.

So, if you want to fly over the Normandy map, you don't need the WWII Assets Pack at all. You can build missions to your heart's content without it.

But if you want to fly MP on public servers in a WWII environment, I think you will absolutely need the Assets Pack, whether the mission being flown is over Normandy or the Caucasus, which we will probably see a lot of once the T4 Caucasus map is released as will.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Yeah, last night I bought the Normandy map and the Spitfire. Installed them both and tried to fly Normandy in free flight mode on DCS World 2.0 and a message popped up saying that I needed the assets module. So I bought the assets module and while I was at it, I also bought the Spitfire campaign. After that everything ran perfectly.

So, I have 2.0 installed with the Assets Pack installed. I also have 1.5.7 installed but I didn't install the Assets Pack in it. Will any of the Assets Pack show in the default P-51 missions and campaign in 1.5.7?

No, but if you bought the assets pack, you can also install it into 1.5.7, for no additional charge :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...

Hm......This is kind of an odd topic for me. Lots of different opinions.

I cannot speak for others but thus far I find the assets pack to be somewhat of a bust. I never create a mission using any of the assets except for the German transport trucks. The armor is indestructible for the most part. I had 8 direct hits on a panzer with rockets at some point and it still showed 0 damage. I've seen the Tigers take a direct 500 lb bomb hit and still survive. I thought they had fixed this issue until the other day when I set up unlimited ammo and went after a German tank. So I just use the Russian BTR 80 instead of the German tanks. It seems much more like what a WWII era tank should be and I really don't pay much attention to the visual difference when I'm running in one one.

The AA is still a non starter for me as there are no shell bursts. What's the fun in that???? I opt for the modern Russian AA because I can at least see where the rounds are coming from and going to.

Trucks are trucks so far as I am concerned. The WWII German vehicles do not look so different from the modern Russian vehicles (advanced weaponry aside) that I really don't pay attention to the difference in game.

To be honest, I'm suffering a little buyer's remorse over the assets pack at this point. I know that it'll get updated and eventually fixed at some point but in the world of DCS it's the when that makes me kind of sorry I purchased it. From my experience, it could take years to fix these things sometimes. I'm perfectly content to shoot at the modern targets and just imagine they're old German vehicles for now.

So in my opinion, it most certainly is not a must of any kind at this time. Maybe later when it's been updated to the point of usability.

Edited by Zimmerdylan

It's just 60 bucks to have them both bundled together. Bargain imho. In xplane 11 they charge 15-30 bucks for one airport.

You already get nice stuff like B17s, steam trains and - most importantly - WW2 ear flak etc. I don't get why so many people have a problem with it...

It's just 60 bucks to have them both bundled together. Bargain imho. In xplane 11 they charge 15-30 bucks for one airport.

You already get nice stuff like B17s, steam trains and - most importantly - WW2 ear flak etc. I don't get why so many people have a problem with it...

I don't see the problem either. It's perfectly valid to charge money for it, given the work that has gone and will go into it.

I think a cleaner solution would have been to just include the assets as part of the map, even if it means a slightly higher price.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Is this debate STILL going on? It was released as a separate package, so we have to pay for it. End of story.

Do you need it - yes.

People will pay $800 for a graphics card, but a few extra dollars for some software won't kill you. Alternatively, take up knitting, it's cheaper.

• Like 1

Is this debate STILL going on? It was released as a separate package, so we have to pay for it. End of story.

Do you need it - yes.

People will pay $800 for a graphics card, but a few extra dollars for some software won't kill you. Alternatively, take up knitting, it's cheaper.

Well......I would have to disagree on some of this. Why do I need it? I mean, I did purchase it and have no complaints whatsoever about the cost of it. But why do I need it? I need air, water, food, but the assets pack is by no means a need thing. Not even in DCS.

As far as the video card remark. I understand that people are passionate about their hobbies. I feel a certain amount of love for virtual flying. But several years ago I purchased my video card for around $400. At the time it was considered kind of pricey. I remember thinking that this stuff was getting a little out of hand in the $$$ dept. Over time my computer and card will become obsolete. I see this on the horizon probably sooner than I would like to think. After looking at prices of video cards and PC's, DCS will most probably go by the wayside in the near to intermediate future. I am not willing to shell out that kind of money for games. It's just not something that I am willing to do. So even though I do not mind forking over money for modules and maps that I like, there comes a point where enough is enough. I know through conversations with other casual DCS fliers that this is a real issue with a fair number of people who come here.

Do you need it - yes.

Your logic is flawed. Typically people buy their PCs and save the money for a new one for years. My old PC was 7 years old. I spent that time saving money for a new one and still had to buy a budget rig.

60USD in some countries might be earnings from a whole month.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Your logic is flawed. Typically people buy their PCs and save the money for a new one for years. My old PC was 7 years old. I spent that time saving money for a new one and still had to buy a budget rig.

60USD in some countries might be earnings from a whole month.

Do you mean expendable income?? I think your logic is flawed too. If 60USD is your monthly earnings, you sure as shit should not be spending even a fraction of those earnings on any kind of map/asset pack/module for a an ultra realistic flight simulator which you're also going to need to spend at least a couple of grand on hardware to get anything meaningful out of.

When I was a student, I didn't expect to be able to play advanced flight sims as there was no way I could afford the hardware to begin with. I've already gotten >100 hours of bliss out of this Normandy and asset pack and I'm only just getting started. One meal for two out costs more.

Do you mean expendable income?? I think your logic is flawed too. If 60USD is your monthly earnings, you sure as shit should not be spending even a fraction of those earnings on any kind of map/asset pack/module for a an ultra realistic flight simulator which you're also going to need to spend at least a couple of grand on hardware to get anything meaningful out of.

When I was a student, I didn't expect to be able to play advanced flight sims as there was no way I could afford the hardware to begin with. I've already gotten >100 hours of bliss out of this Normandy and asset pack and I'm only just getting started. One meal for two out costs more.

Modules cost the same everywhere, but salaries are not the same. Sadly it's only a "half-globalized" world we live in. This should be considered so that flight simming doesn't become a hobby of the richest countries. My salary can buy a lot in Hungary, but is sure ridiculous as soon as I go West. Conversely, I can live like a king visiting some countries Eastwards. It's a very complex question, and a bit off topic, but I think ED is doing OK so far. This being said, I'm thankful for sales that enable me to buy stuff at more affordable prices.

On topic: Yes, get the asset pack if you intend to fly WWII scenarios.

EDIT: Another important aspect to consider. It's not a case of "Oh no, ED is making us pay for a few trucks to go with Normandy". Don't forget that it's a module on its own, that is constantly being worked on. A lot of new stuff is coming, including but not limited to new AI planes. I don't think it would be fair to give it away for free with the map itself.

Edited by Reflected