HP Reverb Stutters

Bones308th

so I did some experiment today after reading somewhere about default.vrsettings was a fix for vive and O+, I decided to comment out // most of them since I don,t use the controller I have a reverb not vive. added the "Dcs.exe" : true, in "NoInterEyeRotation" : { comment out the "obsoleteStateMaxTimeInSeconds": 1.0 including //"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto", and all the Indicator parameter. result is smoother frames. from jumpy 39fps to mostly 45fps on my custom mission

I think what it essentially did is rebirth it back to non beta. since the file is there and steamvr always look at that file even if I get back to non beta

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

oh and if your not seeing the box indicator and not sure if it has taken the changes or not change the //"motionReprojectionIndicatorSize" : 0.05,

//"motionReprojectionIndicatorXPosition" : 0.5,

//"motionReprojectionIndicatorYPosition" : 0.5,

reprojection is smoother when"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto", is left with //

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

huh? Why?

Have two monitors + VR, never any issues.

Yeah, my second monitor made mine stutter real bad until I got rid of it.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

oh and if your not seeing the box indicator and not sure if it has taken the changes or not change the //"motionReprojectionIndicatorSize" : 0.05,

//"motionReprojectionIndicatorXPosition" : 0.5,

//"motionReprojectionIndicatorYPosition" : 0.5,

Thanks Revs. I’ll do more on that tomorrow. Not giving up on the Reverb yet!

Bones

If it is left with // then reprojection is off!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Okay guys. Here’s the latest: I removed the “//“, and it did make a noticeable difference. However, I’m still getting them. The frame rate changes are narrower after the edit for sure. In other words, instead of swinging wildly between 45 and 90, they’re +/- 5 FPS or so, when the frame rates are somewhere in between 90 and 45. When I get low to the ground and frames are locked at 45, is a smooth experience. Is there any way of locking the frames at 45 FPS? If I can do that, I think it’ll cure the problem.

Bones

Great, it may be worth switching back to the non beta version of SteamVR. For me SteamVR introduced some variance in FPS. You can lock reprojection on by setting "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector"

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Okay guys, I finally got the Reverb to work right. Thank you guys so much for your help! I systematically troubleshooted it today, and here's what I came up with:

I was running Windows Mixed Reality instead of Windows Mixed Reality for Steam. When I found out I was running the wrong WMR version, when I got the headset, I installed WMR for Steam, but did not uninstall WMR. When I turned on the PC, WMR would launch automatically. There was no obvious way for me to tell the difference in the two applications, as there's no difference in the application window tittle, to indicate which version of the app I was running. In other words Windows Mixed Reality, and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam, looked identical, from looking at the upper left hand corner of the main application screen. So, apparently, those two applications don't appear to run well together.

After correcting that, I launched DCS and had the stutters, but at a much less frequency. I then made the edits to the file by removing the "//", and things really improved to almost being completely smooth. The frames where no longer bouncing all over the place. So that was awesome!

The final change that made it completely smooth, was bringing down my PD within DCS to 1.0, from 1.5.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1. I was abled to see the light indication on the upper left of the headset. What's the difference between the green light, and the blue?

2. If there's anyone here running the Reverb with the i9-9900k, and the 2080Ti. What resolutions are you showing within Steam VR, for Application and for Video? As default, I'm showing like a 19XX X 19XX number, or something like that. I ended up sliding the Video setting to 188%, and I ended up getting something like 22XX X 21XX.

I hope the above, helps someone with the same issue I had. Thanks again guys! I really appreciate your help.

Ray

I was running Windows Mixed Reality instead of Windows Mixed Reality for Steam. When I found out I was running the wrong WMR version, when I got the headset, I installed WMR for Steam, but did not uninstall WMR. When I turned on the PC, WMR would launch automatically.
Are you saying you have uninstalled the WMR Portal?

My understanding is that WMR is the native application including device drivers and WMR for SteamVR enables us to play OpenVR apps using SteamVR. I have always assumed the WMR portal was a necessity.

1. I was abled to see the light indication on the upper left of the headset. What's the difference between the green light, and the blue?

2. If there's anyone here running the Reverb with the i9-9900k, and the 2080Ti. What resolutions are you showing within Steam VR, for Application and for Video? As default, I'm showing like a 19XX X 19XX number, or something like that. I ended up sliding the Video setting to 188%, and I ended up getting something like 22XX X 21XX.

green = off because application can render at full framerate

light blue = on because application is cpu bound

dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

The WMR for Steam (non Beta) achieves native resolution at 188% in SteamVR

The WMR for SteamVR beta is 74% at native as it fixes the scaler. SteamVR applies a factor of 1.4 oversampling at 100% (IMHO more than the Reverb needs) based on compensation for lenses (probably for the Vive).

Are you saying you have uninstalled the WMR Portal?

My understanding is that WMR is the native application including device drivers and WMR for SteamVR enables us to play OpenVR apps using SteamVR. I have always assumed the WMR portal was a necessity.

I uninstalled WMR, and restarted the computer. I then downloaded and installed WMR for Steam VR, from the Steam website. It took me trough a little different setup process. They are two different applications right?

Ray

green = off because application can render at full framerate

light blue = on because application is cpu bound

dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

The WMR for Steam (non Beta) achieves native resolution at 188% in SteamVR

The WMR for SteamVR beta is 74% at native as it fixes the scaler. SteamVR applies a factor of 1.4 oversampling at 100% (IMHO more than the Reverb needs) based on compensation for lenses (probably for the Vive).

Okay, cool! So, set it as a percentage and disregard the resolutions shown then? Thanks man!

Ray

Hi Ray, strange cause you need both.

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/08/moving-from-oculus-to-reverb/

Cheers,

Hafer

Man, at this point, I’m more confused than ever! Lol I uninstalled WMR from my computer and restarted it. Then went to the Steam website and downloaded WMR for Steam VR from there, and that’s when it started to work smoothly, after some additional setup. I’m hoping they improve the drivers/set up processes for that thing. The headset visual is great! The setup, completely sucked for me! Lol

Ray

I uninstalled WMR, and restarted the computer. I then downloaded and installed WMR for Steam VR, from the Steam website. It took me trough a little different setup process. They are two different applications right?

Ray

So you never see the WMR portal (Cliff House thing) when you put the set on?

Oh. One more thing that maybe you guys have an answer for. Do you guys get an orange bar across the top of the screen, a prompt that asks to use the Window + Y key to use the mouse? Is there a way to just use the mouse by default. I don’t need the controllers for DCS, or flight simulation for that matter. That feature sucks because, I always have to Alt-Tab to be able to use the Windows + Y key, so that I can use the mouse within VR and DCS.

Ray

So you never see the WMR portal (Cliff House thing) when you put the set on?

I see the Steam VR house, not the Windows one, if it makes any sense. I’ll play with it some more today.

Oh, one thing that I’m getting too, is the headset showing like, static, consisting of horizontal and vertical color lines, when I turn on the computer; with a white background. Is like the headset doesn’t initialize. The only way to fix it, is to either restart the computer, or unplug the USB and plug it back in. Have you guys seen anything like that? That’s happening quite often. I’m gonna try a different USB.

Ray

How do you find Reverb in terms picture clarity? Is the picture compared with the clarity that simple HD monitor is presented? For example, Rift S according to my opinion is very blurry.

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

• ED Team

Anyone using malwarebytes?

Some users have seen stuttering due to Malwarebytes, long shot but some of you may have it.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Anyone using malwarebytes?

Some users have seen stuttering due to Malwarebytes, long shot but some of you may have it.

Thank You so much! I had spent hours debugging this issue and this tip fixed it.

I wanted to come up with a solution to allow me to continue to run Malwarebytes Premium in the background. I went into Malware Bytes: Settings/Play Mode/Manage Applications and added DCS.exe to the list. I turned on "Automatically enable Play Mode when a selected app is detected." Now I can run DCS in VR without shutting down this app and my horrible stuttering is gone too.

• 1 month later...
Okay guys, I finally got the Reverb to work right. Thank you guys so much for your help! I systematically troubleshooted it today, and here's what I came up with:

I was running Windows Mixed Reality instead of Windows Mixed Reality for Steam. When I found out I was running the wrong WMR version, when I got the headset, I installed WMR for Steam, but did not uninstall WMR. When I turned on the PC, WMR would launch automatically. There was no obvious way for me to tell the difference in the two applications, as there's no difference in the application window tittle, to indicate which version of the app I was running. In other words Windows Mixed Reality, and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam, looked identical, from looking at the upper left hand corner of the main application screen. So, apparently, those two applications don't appear to run well together.

After correcting that, I launched DCS and had the stutters, but at a much less frequency. I then made the edits to the file by removing the "//", and things really improved to almost being completely smooth. The frames where no longer bouncing all over the place. So that was awesome!

The final change that made it completely smooth, was bringing down my PD within DCS to 1.0, from 1.5.

I do have a couple of questions though:

I hope the above, helps someone with the same issue I had. Thanks again guys! I really appreciate your help.

Ray

Interesting comments - I just got the reverbv2 and was trying to set it up......note I had WMR for steam VR (beta) installed but never tried to launch it - note I usually loaded the mixed reality portal first (house) then just launched steam VR (beta) -

1)However noticed I never seemed to get the colored indicator at the top of the reverb display despite enabling it in the .txt settings file along with reprojection and was also never sure if reprojection was working correctly....Can someone confirm if I need to launch the mixed reality portal (house) and then launch WMR for steam VR(beta)? (note when I just tried this now it simply loaded up steam VR (beta) despite trying the launch the WMR for steam VR? so slightly confused!

2)Read somewhere that I should (for better reverb performance) update my Windows 10 from 1809 to version 1903? is this correct?

3)Do you need to install any specific drivers for the reverb?

Edited by mac22

Interesting comments - I just got the reverbv2 and was trying to set it up......note I had WMR for steam VR (beta) installed but never tried to launch it - note I usually loaded the mixed reality portal first (house) then just launched steam VR (beta) -

1)However noticed I never seemed to get the colored indicator at the top of the reverb display despite enabling it in the .txt settings file along with reprojection and was also never sure if reprojection was working correctly....Can someone confirm if I need to launch the mixed reality portal (house) and then launch WMR for steam VR(beta)? (note when I just tried this now it simply loaded up steam VR (beta) despite trying the launch the WMR for steam VR? so slightly confused!

2)Read somewhere that I should (for better reverb performance) update my Windows 10 from 1809 to version 1903? is this correct?

The Reverb is straight forward, I use the WMR beta and steam vr beta software. WMR starts up immediately when the pc starts and the HMD is on, then click on the DCS icon (standalone) and steam vr starts along with the game. Everything else is a non issue. As for altering the text file for reprojection and the colour bars as described, I followed reddit, deleting // as stated and it worked as was described. Really the Reverb is nearly as hassle free as the old CV1 I had. It just works and is a really simple setup.

Just to clarify, the WMR software can also be launched via steam, and is the MR portal house. If for whatever reason my WMR software (house) did not start automatically on pc startup, or I had shutdown the software to turn off the hmd while using the PC for non VR stuff. I would just go into my steam library and from the VR software section, launch it and proceed as before/normal. You need steam VR to play DCS as well as the WMR software as far as I am aware, until DCS bring in direct WMR utilization.

Edited by Zoomer

Oh, one thing that I’m getting too, is the headset showing like, static, consisting of horizontal and vertical color lines, when I turn on the computer; with a white background. Is like the headset doesn’t initialize. The only way to fix it, is to either restart the computer, or unplug the USB and plug it back in. Have you guys seen anything like that? That’s happening quite often.

I have the same issue but no solution.