RiftS & DCS Performance Issues and Possible Fixes? Help required!

PravusJSB

Hi guys, I'm new to DCS c.200 hours in the game, I started with my CV1 which I've owned from release and updated with the RiftS about a month ago.

Without typing for days about the struggles I've had in this month chasing issues, fixing issues only for new ones to occur or old ones to come back up I'll try to be succinct, on top of all the configuration and tracking issues specific to the rift in general (lighting ect.) I've had this ONE massive DCS issue that I just cannot fix. I think it's been made worse by the latest beta because I cannot remember it being this horrid in the beginning but I do think it's been there the whole time.

The frustrating thing is that this particular issue is so inconsistent that every time I try to trouble shoot I feel like I've fixed it, and whilst I feel like I am almost on top of it, it still is rearing it's head and it makes no sense. I've read a lot of threads on this forums with people having the same issue but I've not seen anyone connecting the dots (no common denominator) and they're discussed in isolation (I fly the F18 only is that it?), so I feel like at this stage with everything I've tried that the issue lays with DCS.

The issue; For no reason whatsoever my GPU throttles itself to c.30-40% load and my frames hover or even lock to 20fps. Causing the game to stutter and lag and freeze and feel terrible making the experience unplayable and if I try to continue I get headaches and eye strain. my CPU is never loaded up at all.

These are all the thing's I've tried that I can remember and in some way each one had a positive impact, and FYI this is more or less in order and done in isolation, each one improved and sometimes I even thought I fixed the issue...;

• Improve room lighting
  • killed processes that might be a conflict
  • deleted metashaders and fxo
  • uninstalled 80gb of random programs and C++ Redistributables
  • all drivers up to date
  • reverting to stable Oculus build
  • moved Rift USB from 3.0 PCIe Fresco Card to ASmedia USB 3.0 BUS on MB
  • moved other USB devices around to redistribute assumed power draw
  • removed USB devices I don't use
  • moved Rift to different USB MB controller 3.1
  • full load testing on CPU/GPU/RAM
  • amended DRAM Vcore
  • trial and error with Nvidia CP settings (now only 'prefer max performance' is checked)
  • amended CPU Vcore
  • changed room lighting to green
  • took off all my overclocks
  • increased overclocks
  • changed my power application on MB
  • moved Rift to USBC on RTX card
  • installed Oculus Tray Tool instead of using DeBugTool
  • tested Rift in other games (not a fix a trouble shoot)
  • tons of trial and error with stream settings
  • trial and error with DCS settings
  • User SteamVR instead of Oculus, then OVR..
  • run the game in minimum settings
  • amended all my cooling profiles (AIO case fans GPU fans)
  • verify Steam DCS files
  • repair Oculus software
  • downloaded ASUS bloatware AI Suite3 ans Gamefirst to manage network traffic that might be getting in way
  • re-install Oculus drivers
  • Process Lasso the fk out of all the PC process and active Apps
  • deleted metashaders and fxo... now I'm just doing this for the fun of it.

That last one, wow, what a difference. I had previously felt like I'd fixed it but just before I found that program the issue would remain ALL the time regardless of restart, Oculus reset/unplug ect. I had the game open and FPS monitoring and started moving around all the process and setting affinities and priorities for everything I run with DCS (Discord, Oculus, OBS, Voiceattack, Steam, ect..) and boom breakthrough, throttling on GPU released and constant 40fps (i force it to run the settings I like ofc). In a nutshell DCS to use 4-7 cores and Oculus to use 0-3 above normal and managed all others on single cores and priorities.

At this point the game I already love was immense, no stutters, solid fps, smooth and just wow...

Until it started happening again a few days later, so I adjusted the affinities and priorities again, fixed again... Or not.

My system; ASUS Hero Maximus VIII, i7-6700k, Corsair Vengeance 3000DDR4 32gb, Aorus RTX2080Super, Win10 Pro runs on it's own dedicated Sata SSD, DCS (and a 64gb Pagefile) runs on it's own m.2 SSD. I use 1.4PD in OTT, with the Homless mod. Set it to ASW on and 45fps locked.

I have a attached an MSI Afterburner trace showing the issue as it occurs, notice on the trace that the GPU fluctuates rapidly resulting in garbage fps and at times it just locks to 20fps and the gpu stays stable, before the section of trace I'd been playing about an hour at 40fps with no stuttering/tearing and towards the end it sort of resolves and the GPU again does work but it wasn't right, I've also attached my game settings although today I tried to drop shadows to Low. Even if I run the game wiht 0.5 and mimimum settings the issue persists.

Please someone help me before I tip the whole thing in the bin and set the house on fire, thanks in advance!

(turns out I did write for days..)

69862361_DCSIssue.thumb.JPG.223419070afb1e31115035e657517ee1.JPG

Settings.thumb.JPG.7ac8c0b0a74dfacda33a11f4c42733af.JPG

Edited by PravusJSB

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

Work with me on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/pravusjsb

Welcome to the forums ! Power supply to gpu ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Negative, it's a fairly good one and I've trouble shot it whilst performing load tests, voltages are solid.

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

just to put it in the check list: have you tried to deactivate Hyperthreading in BIOS / CPU settings?

Negative, I'm a photographer and thats important to me (i assume?), so I disabled it via Process Lasso to a certain extent, although when I tried to run DCS on cores 4,7 (physical only) i still had the issue, so I put it on 4/5/6/7 which is still 2 logical cores, but when I did that the game fixed and was mega. but I moved all other intensive stuffs and Oculus away from 4/7.

EDIT: Just updated my BIOS from 2016 3101 to a 2018 3802, I'll see how that goes.

Edited by PravusJSB

So BIOS, Chipset and LAN drivers didnt work, in fact appeared to make things worse. I tried Hyperthreading OFF but whilst it made the CPU handle differently it didnt seem to make it better. So I went back to hyperthreading and had another play around with Process Lasso. This time I flipped it on its head with affinities and disabled hyperthreading on Oculus software and left it on in DCS and strangely had some positive results, but it could just be the game tricking me into thinking im on to a fix when im really not.... #pullingmyhairout

Updating the BIOS / BIOS firmware and updating mainboard/Chipset-, LAN-, USB- and OnboardAudio drivers is a good idea ...

I would uninstall Process Lasso ( I think your CPU got 4 physical cores ) and reboot the system.

Probably set the CPU clock/Vram back to its default values or less overclocking to exclude it as a cause in further investigation.

Edited by - Voight -

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

So BIOS, Chipset and LAN drivers didnt work, in fact appeared to make things worse. I tried Hyperthreading OFF but whilst it made the CPU handle differently it didnt seem to make it better. So I went back to hyperthreading and had another play around with Process Lasso. This time I flipped it on its head with affinities and disabled hyperthreading on Oculus software and left it on in DCS and strangely had some positive results, but it could just be the game tricking me into thinking im on to a fix when im really not.... #pullingmyhairout

Hyperthreading is in the bios for your motherboard, not in Oculus Software or DCS.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

have you disabled windows 10 game mode (you should)?

maybe try settings pagefile settings to default/auto in windows (if you need your unorthodox pagefile config for your work, then leave it, but for dcs/gaming i have never ever seen prove that messing with pagefile did bring any quantifiable advantage. i have however seen the opposite).

same with project lasso. i would not use it and especially not use it while trouble-shooting, as it just introduces more variables. if you want to make sure that it's not a logical core missmanagment issue, just disable hyperthreading in bios for testing. if this does not solve it, enable it again - as you want to have it on generally.

also tried oculus without the "homeless" mod and OTT? so just the software without any addons. try leaving ASW on default/auto setting without locking 45hz ?!

make sure your pixel density settings within dcs are reasonable.

also check, if you are running background activities that cause system utilization. anti-virus software, automated back-up solutions etc. ...

also run dcs in 2d (cranck up the settings to get similar fps) and compare if it runs more consistent.

also this might be obvious but do your testing in single-player, not multi-player

Edited by twistking

Have you tried stress testing the GPU using some kinda benchmark? I don't know if superposition can really stress that GPU, but something like that... I see your GPU temps are good but I wonder if a component isn't overheating and failing

I don't know about DCS but back in my mining days it wasn't uncommon to have to RMA a dud here and there, some manufacturers more than others >: /

That said, I've heard of people with really high end GPU's have to really load em up to keep them running, PD at 2.0 or more. Might be worth a try, see if that makes it better or worse at least

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Hyperthreading is in the bios for your motherboard, not in Oculus Software or DCS.

Thanks, I know where it is.

have you disabled windows 10 game mode (you should)?

maybe try settings pagefile settings to default/auto in windows (if you need your unorthodox pagefile config for your work, then leave it, but for dcs/gaming i have never ever seen prove that messing with pagefile did bring any quantifiable advantage. i have however seen the opposite).

same with project lasso. i would not use it and especially not use it while trouble-shooting, as it just introduces more variables. if you want to make sure that it's not a logical core missmanagment issue, just disable hyperthreading in bios for testing. if this does not solve it, enable it again - as you want to have it on generally.

also tried oculus without the "homeless" mod and OTT? so just the software without any addons. try leaving ASW on default/auto setting without locking 45hz ?!

make sure your pixel density settings within dcs are reasonable.

also check, if you are running background activities that cause system utilization. anti-virus software, automated back-up solutions etc. ...

also run dcs in 2d (cranck up the settings to get similar fps) and compare if it runs more consistent.

also this might be obvious but do your testing in single-player, not multi-player

Thanks for the reply bud;

Testing; I am testing in a multiplayer however what I'm doing for a consistent test is run a replay of one of the session where I experienced this issue which is working well as below.

Pagefile; one of the things I missed off my list above I guess, I played about with pagefile alot even though it gets little use, but I ended up on the same SS with 1-64GB which worked less shit than all the other configurations I tried.

HyperT; Yes thats what I did the other night, different but still issue remained.

Homless/OTT/PD; Yep all tested ruled out.

Background apps; there are none that I wont use I killed them all lol

Win10GameMode; Yes, its on I've not switched it off apart from switching off all the other crap like game bar ect. Why should I switch it off?

Have you tried stress testing the GPU using some kinda benchmark? I don't know if superposition can really stress that GPU, but something like that... I see your GPU temps are good but I wonder if a component isn't overheating and failing

I don't know about DCS but back in my mining days it wasn't uncommon to have to RMA a dud here and there, some manufacturers more than others >: /

That said, I've heard of people with really high end GPU's have to really load em up to keep them running, PD at 2.0 or more. Might be worth a try, see if that makes it better or worse at least

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply,

StressGPU; Yes I've stressed, stressed the feck out of it and everything else. What I learned in the stress test and implemented did help slightly.

Load; I literally just read that about my specific GPU/CPU combo from a BattlefieldV forum, I did try to bump up the PD to 2 today but other than a higher GPU load when the issue is persistent I still had 20fps.

So I think I might have had a little breakthrough, whilst running my replay over and over and going back over everything I've done thus far on a consistent test bed I've made the following changes;

• Tweaking in game graphics per element to userstand load capabilities
  • Same with PD
  • Moved DCS again off of Logical Cores
  • Played with the shaded_parser but left it off

More importantly;

Previously I identified some errors in CPU testing when DRAM was also used, so I played about with my DRAM timings voltages and frequencies, the more I pushed up the Freq and advanced the timings the more my GPU was released from being bottlenecked. I think I may have narrowed down my search area lol. I'm running pretty aggressive at the minute 3000>3200mhz // 1.35 > 1.36v // 15-17-17-35 > 14-15-15-31. As I increase the voltage I see a further improvement in stability, but I've had 3 system crashes at the minute so I'm slowly working my way backwards before I stress test it for the long term.

TL;DR, everything I've done in some way has had a positive impact but non more so than Process Lasso and the DRAM overclock. I guess my MB/CPU/DRAM needs an upgrade after sticking that beast of a GPU in there. I prob won't see the benefit until I do.

The more that I reduce the CPU background load and keep the focus on Oculus runtime and DCS the better it gets, I'll prob have to shell out some more cash to make it right, right tough.

Edited by PravusJSB

Win10GameMode; Yes, its on I've not switched it off apart from switching off all the other crap like game bar ect. Why should I switch it off?

When it came out, it was known to potentially decrease performance. Also it is no magic sauce, it just changes task priorities and may pause background task. So it could only help on a low powered system, that is full of bloatware. The fact that in the beginning it actually managed to worsen perforamnce is enough reason to deactivate it i think. It might try to interfere with VR tasks for example...

Also i remember a problem with certain high end intel processors, that came with an utility program to maximize performance. I don't remember the details - but this program also caused major performance problems in dcs and in dcs only, if i remember correctly.

Search in the main bugs&problems section. it got discussed there.

good luck!

[...]

Some things i want to add. Don't do your testing with MP. Even if that's your use scenario. MP performance has problems of it's own (which you cannot fix) and that makes it so much harder to troubleshoot. Using a replay of MP does not make it better - it may even make it worse, because of the way replays work in dcs.

What your experience is a severe problem and not your pc being to slow for dcs. My cpu, mainboard and ram are over 11 years old and they can run small single player and small coop MP at very high / ultra settings / 60fps (2d only, not vr).

Another advise, since you mentioned that most little tweaks helped a little bit: Your problem is probably not the sum of many issues, so if you find a little tweak that maybe helps a little bit but does not solve the problem, i would take note but set the option back to default. This is to minimize variables.

So if you tweak/test one aspect, all other important system variables should be in the most common or default state (for example. no overclock, HT on, no special software, stable software, no beta etc.).

Also the more i think about it, don't test in MP. Honestly. Test in singleplayer in a constrolled environment. A replay of MP is still MP but worse...

Hope you find the issue. I am experiencing the same problem from now and then.

20fps with ~50% GPU load. CPU no where near to a limit.

My system is the same except the GPU which is a 1080ti.

Like I am experiencing that this effect comes and goes randomly.

Do I understand you right, that you get this issue only in VR.

For me its only existing in VR. 2D is fine

Hope you find the issue. I am experiencing the same problem from now and then.

20fps with ~50% GPU load. CPU no where near to a limit.

My system is the same except the GPU which is a 1080ti.

Like I am experiencing that this effect comes and goes randomly.

Do I understand you right, that you get this issue only in VR.

For me its only existing in VR. 2D is fine

Yes I only play in VR and I think I may have solved it, 10 hours and no issue.

Some things i want to add. Don't do your testing with MP. Even if that's your use scenario. MP performance has problems of it's own (which you cannot fix) and that makes it so much harder to troubleshoot. Using a replay of MP does not make it better - it may even make it worse, because of the way replays work in dcs.

What your experience is a severe problem and not your pc being to slow for dcs. My cpu, mainboard and ram are over 11 years old and they can run small single player and small coop MP at very high / ultra settings / 60fps (2d only, not vr).

Another advise, since you mentioned that most little tweaks helped a little bit: Your problem is probably not the sum of many issues, so if you find a little tweak that maybe helps a little bit but does not solve the problem, i would take note but set the option back to default. This is to minimize variables.

So if you tweak/test one aspect, all other important system variables should be in the most common or default state (for example. no overclock, HT on, no special software, stable software, no beta etc.).

Also the more i think about it, don't test in MP. Honestly. Test in singleplayer in a constrolled environment. A replay of MP is still MP but worse...

Thanks again for the advice, I agree with you, I'm saying thats what I did during testing though lol. My problems are mostly MP as thats all I do, in single player its not a tax to my PC but then again I don't play it often enough to know if the issue might occur there.

I've ran for 10-12 hours now and it's been spot on, right now in VR my GPU is 95% and FPS of 80, CPU 33%. I had one or two crashed so I dropped voltage down to 1.35 and Freq to 3100 and its ran stable since. Seems that it was my DRAM that was the bottleneck. those stats are MP, I can load up TTI servers full of people and still go 40FPS with ASW, very smooth no stutters, very happy atm if it stays this way.

good to hear, that it runs better now!

can you quickly recap what you did to solve the problem?

increase dram frequency from 3000 to 3100? a 3% increase... i cannot imagine, how this would have such an impact...

i don't think it's the freq, i think it was more the timings, ive managed to get a lot out of them, 15-17-17-35 to 14-15-15-31. I'll prob try to speed up my uncore next if I run into more, but for now it's working great.

Keep in mind low GPU usage can be normal if you cannot hit your headset's native refresh and you go into reprojection, since your GPU now only has to work half as hard.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

appreciate that but when it's c.30-40% at 20fps it makes no sense seeing as ASW on RiftS should be 40.

I was in a really busy MP TTI server tonight lots of people lots of units, almost all solid, when I landed at a new airport it went to 20fps for 20-30 secs anmd again later when I spawned at a carrier in a new area 10-20 secs of 20fps. Other than that its been solid, before that would have been 20fps all the time.

Crazy to say this, but looking at this thread made me check my system. I'm running a 9900k at 5.0 on all cores, RTX2080, and a Rift S. I checked my bios and the ram was defaulting to 2100mhz. I loaded the xmp profile and more it's up to the 3100 it's rated for and I swear the game is smoother. I especially notice it when in SP and I fast forward the time on long haul flights. Crazy this really did seem to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has worked wonders for me, the game is night and day. If I overload the RAM i still get the odd dips but mostly all is well, time to invest in some faster DRAM

Be careful when forcing DCS to particular CPU cores, in my experience the software doesn't play nice when you do this. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220401

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm