Q: Slewing the Waypoint on the EHSD Map

HawkEXO

Hey guys... I'm struggling to figure out how to do this.

Here's what I'm doing.

> I'm clicking the 'EHSD' on MFD display

> Then clicking 'DATA'

> Then pressing the FWD Sensor HOTAS button to put the DMT into INS mode.

> Then, I attempt to slew the waypoint using TDC up/down and left/right mapped to joystick axes.

What I'm getting is a variety of results. Usually nothing happens. Sometimes, instead of moving the waypoint, I see the little airplane symbol move instead. What does that mean? Just once... I accidentally got it to work. Somehow during flight, I entered the EHSD waypoint slew mode and I found myself accidentally slewing my waypoint off target. So I know it's possible (ruling out axes-mapping issues, hardware, etc)... but I feel like I'm missing a step somewhere because I cannot repeat it, despite following the tutorials on YouTube.

• Select the waypoint.
  • EHSD.
  • DATA.
  • Insure moving map is active. If not:
    • MAPM
    • MAP
    • MAPM

[*]Now simply use TDC to move the waypoint about -- using the zoom-level can be very advantageous.

[*]When thru, press DATA again.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Tried that with a new entered waypoint (0 waypoints preplanned).

Also only got the airplane moving around and not the WP. Altough, wp coordinates did change...

Strange...

I'm not sure what you mean by "new entered waypoint". If you mean, before having actually saved the waypoint to the INS computer, I would say, stop trying to take the question off track. You are just distracting from what was asked. Bad boy, go sit in your basket :)

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Spawned aircraft with none WP entered trough the ME.

Entered one Waypoint already sitting inside the aircraft by manualy typing in the coordinates.

Waypoint appears on the EHSD, can also be selected as destination and is also shown on the HUD.

Click on DATA.

MAPM is boxed.

Try to move the WP with the TDC. Waypoint does not move, only the aircraft symbol moves.

If the waypoint coordiantes are still showing in the UFC, you can see the numbers change.

When pressing Data, the Waypoint is "I don't know where".

So basicly, I just said that I have the same problem like HawkEXO, and that it also did not work when I'm doing what you told me.

Only thing I've add is, that I don't try to move a pre-planned WP from the ME, but a WP that I entered as I was already sitting in the Harrier.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

:thumbup:

I haven't being flying the Harrier much in the last weeks. So I haven't actually done any of this for a while.

I don't think there is any difference between waypoints entered during mission and those entered in the ME, once the mission is running; at least I've never seen any difference up until now.

If it's working as you described Viper, then it was broken in one of the last updates :(

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

So... being the curious prick that I am, I've checked out moving a waypoint, both one created in the ME and one I created during flying the mission (in SP).

Both work exactly the same as I described in my first post in this thread.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Last time I did moving the waypoint, I was bothered because it does not move North/South or East/West but relative to plane : forward/backward, Left/Right. Not very intuitive.

Maybe it can not be used when in NUP mode for the map ?

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Appreciate all the feedback.

I just went through the procedure outlined by Cpt. Orso and had the same outcome. The little airplane symbol moves, but the waypoint does not. The weird thing is that when unbox DATA I find that my waypoint did actually get moved. It's like I'm in some sort of 'opposite reference' mode. For lack of a better way to describe it... moving the mountain to mohammed, instead of mohammed to the mountain. I have a funny feeling that I'm somehow adjusting my own position, or some other reference coordinate system, instead of my waypoint's cords.... or something akin to that. Just guessing now.

Also, I'm having issues with my HUD not giving me waypoint bearing indicator on the HUD bearing tape in NAV mode... or a distance to the waypoint. I do get a circle icon in the HUD marking the waypoint on the ground when it's in the HUD field of view, but I have to designate it as the Air-to-Ground INS point, and switch to AG mode to get a range to the waypoint. A clunky workaround. Could these symptoms be related to my initial problem? I believe I'm properly aligned on the INS. How else would I be getting ANY waypoint info if I wasn't?

Wait a minute :huh: ... you are on moving map. In normal MM display, the aircraft-symbol is in the center of the EHSD pointing upward, which is the direction of travel. As you fly the aircraft-symbol remains in the center of the EHSD and the map itself turns and moves around, illustrating the situation on the map relative to the actual, current location and situation of the aircraft.

With a waypoint selected, then EHDS -> DATA -> TDC(<^v>) the waypoint is the center of the EHSD, and remains there. When you use the TDC, the waypoint being manipulated remains in the center of the EHSD and the map is moved. Of course if you see the aircraft-symbol on the EHSD while using the TDC to move the waypoint, since the map is moving, and the aircraft-symbol shows where it is on the map, the aircraft-symbol will move along with the map.

I have no idea how this is not glaring, in-your-face obvious, really.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

....since the map is moving, and the aircraft-symbol shows where it is on the map, the aircraft-symbol will move along with the map.

I have no idea how this is not glaring, in-your-face obvious, really.

Well... I AM pretty dense.... but my aircraft symbol is moving independent of the map (which is stationary on the EHSD screen). TDC is slewing the airplane symbol around the map.

I will work to make a video to demonstrate what I'm doing.

Select a waypoint -> EHSD -> DATA: at this point, the selected waypoint is in the center of the EHSD.

If you are flying and can see the aircraft symbol on the EHSD, you may see it moving, depending on your displayed scale and your actual flight speed.

If you slew the waypoint, on the EHSD the waypoint symbol will remain at the exact center of the EHSD; the map (moving map) will slew around the EHSD, reflecting the slewed position of the waypoint.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

OK, here's my video. Can you see anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/pKdv2kZIgps

After you click position - don't you have to select the WP number on the keypad to the right, then you can slew that WP around? Am new to the Harrier as of yesterday but have moved a few WP's around (Can't remember exactly how off top of head) - awesome feature.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/pKdv2kZIgps[/YOUTUBE]

Why are you insist on the DMT? Leave it alone. Set EHSD on left and that's all, start from there. Set moving map, press DATA, , set the waypoint you want to move, press POS, (press sensor select FWD), move the map with the TDC controls. When you happy with the new posititon, (de)click DATA to save it.

Don't click POS! :doh: Just slew the waypoint with the TDC.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

If moving map is active, why are you trying to activate it again?

Why are you using a most dubious waypoint to demonstrate what you cannot do, one directly underneath the aircraft cross?

What kind of waypoint is it?

--

Here's a demo of how it works.

Just to be sure you actually understand what's going on, when I say the waypoint slews across the map, actually the map slews under the waypoint. The waypoint remains exactly in the center of the EHDS for as long as the waypoint is being edited.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

New video. Trying to follow exactly. See if you can see any mistakes.

Sorry the video is so fuzzy on the map. Not sure why. Let me know if I should re-record.

https://youtu.be/IHjZr6xoy88

EDIT: video updated for better clarity

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/IHjZr6xoy88[/YOUTUBE]

I have no ideea what are you doing...but - i see you are on MP..how do you joined? Hot or cold? Did you aligned properly? Your selected waypoint seems to have no data...every coord is zero. Your selected waypoint is part of your FPlan or you just inserted? My suggestion is to first try it on SP. Follow the book...check Chucks guide, also Baltics training mission. And then try and figure out what is going on in MP.

Ok, i figured out what is going on ...in your case the map is not moving around, only the plane simbol, that causes the confusion. What you are doing is correct, but for some reason the map movement is not visible (but it is taken in consideration by the system). When you see the symbol moving around, the map is "moving" also, its just not visible. When you declick the DATA, the waypoint jumps, because the map together with the plane simbol recenters,as it should. Not sure if its clear, but that is your issue: the map is not moving on the screen. Find the reason for that...maybe try a repair. Good luck

As said, waypoint 2 in video #3 has either no or incorrect data Lat and Long = 00°00'00". IIRC when adding a waypoint you need at least one existing waypoint already setup in the ME for stuff like that to work.

This video covers adding additional waypoints and moving them on the EHSD

It'd be best to post a track file as it's hard to tell what you've setup correctly in a 4 minute video clip.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Ok, i figured out what is going on ...in your case the map is not moving around, only the plane simbol, that causes the confusion. What you are doing is correct, but for some reason the map movement is not visible (but it is taken in consideration by the system). When you see the symbol moving around, the map is "moving" also, its just not visible. When you declick the DATA, the waypoint jumps, because the map together with the plane simbol recenters,as it should. Not sure if its clear, but that is your issue: the map is not moving on the screen. Find the reason for that...maybe try a repair. Good luck

Yes - this.

Thank you for latching on to what I'm describing. I dived into a lot of training before I posted here. In the video above, I made three waypoints in MP. Same occurs when I try in SP. The key thing is that the airplane symbol moves instead of the map. What sort of data mode would I have to be in for that to happen? Put another way, if I'm in the wrong mode, then what is the purpose of said mode that moves the A/C symbol instead of the map?

I will try the repair and see if it changes the result.

Edited by HawkEXO

If moving map is active, why are you trying to activate it again?

Why are you using a most dubious waypoint to demonstrate what you cannot do, one directly underneath the aircraft cross?

What kind of waypoint is it?

--

Here's a demo of how it works.

Just to be sure you actually understand what's going on, when I say the waypoint slews across the map, actually the map slews under the waypoint. The waypoint remains exactly in the center of the EHDS for as long as the waypoint is being edited.

Thanks for the video. From what I can tell, I am doing exactly the same thing you are, except I am getting a different result. You click DATA and then slew the map. I click DATA and the airplane symbol slews instead of the map. It IS updating waypoints, but the map is not moving when I slew (unlike for you). But I cannot see anything I'm doing differently. INS is aligned. I will report back after I complete the DCS Repair op.