Guess what! Easy AAR! - Page 23 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #221
Vertigo72

Just throwing this out here, as I just posted a link to a freestyle drone flight and realized it may actually be helpful in more than one way.

Its obviously not going to teach you AAR, but nothing will teach you fine throttle control like flying a racing/freestyle drone (or sim). Few other kinds of flying require similar precise control or will expose weaknesses in your motor skills or flight controllers. And if you already mastered AAR and you can catch that 3 wire with one hand tied behind your back, and want to challenge yourself, maybe give it a try, see how you get on with it, this one is free:

https://www.realdronesimulator.com/

2 week free trial:
https://dronesimulation.co.uk/

This one is less realistic but more fun and almost free:

https://thedroneracingleague.com/drl-sim-3/

Full disclaimer, I fly these using a taranis RC radio, a decade of muscle memory is hard to unlearn and I struggled flying those sims with my pc hotas, especially my TCWS throttle. Perhaps its not good enough, or perhaps Im not good enough at using it, but either way its good to find out and may point towards a weakness affecting me (or you) doing AAR too.

Last edited by Vertigo72; 06-30-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Vertigo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #222
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
No, everyone needs to start from the start. From the begin.
So those who can AAR already... where did they start?

"Not taking away from anyone" argument could be pulled about anything like adding unicorns. Yet I care for what is DCS and express my opinion to not include them.
draconus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #223
Falby

I too care for DCS and have just recently learnt to AAR consistently, so an easy AAR option would be something I wouldn't use, but I would still support it being implemented. The more ppl who join DCS and stay the better it is for everyone, and if it takes something like this then I say do it. It's not as if it's going to detract from any-ones game.
And as for what's important, that depends entirely on peoples point of view, People who play MP would argue that time spent on SP is a waste, SP players would could say the opposite.
We are are all here for one thing basically, enjoyment, so whether you are a hard-core realist or just a casual gamer we're all equally important for the future of DCS.
Falby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #224
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
So those who can AAR already... where did they start?
From the begin....

Quote:
"Not taking away from anyone" argument could be pulled about anything like adding unicorns. Yet I care for what is DCS and express my opinion to not include them.
So please provide evidence that this wanted easy AAR feature would be taking away from you the capability to fly DCS as now.... Please, do so that we can all then simply reject this wish as it would take away from skilled and talented players like you from flying DCS like right now....

No, it wouldn't take anything away from you. You would still be flying exactly like this far, but those who finds it too challenging, could get it done with good probability and continue their missions, even you could be flying next to them waiting your turn, without getting frustrated when they keep failing in connection.... Time after time.... And so on even you would have far more fun, regardless that some people would have used "Easy AAR" setting....

But you are free to not want to see unicorns, as we have not yet even seen the cows.... It is not away from you that DCS includes cows.... Sorry, in your opinion it is away from you, so the cows must be removed!
Old 06-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #225
OldFalcon

There is an issue that may make an easy AAR option perhaps more tolerable is the marketing aspect. It appears to me that having these options tend to bring in more buyers because they address the desires of more people. Of course an argument could be made in the opposite direction but without making this message too long I believe the more people they appeal to the more money they make. The more money they make the more developers they can pay and the sooner we get things.
OldFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #226
Buzzles

I can't do AAR. I've never tried.

That doesn't mean I want an aid when I try to learn.

The internet adage of 'git gud' does apply in this case though. It's a simulator after all.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #227
Falby

Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) 2.5 is a free-to-play digital battlefield game.

From DCS homepage!
Falby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #228
Kayos

OP should have made this a poll.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #229
Jackjack171

Dumbing down features of the simulation is a slippery slope. No sooner, this (DCS) will be the equivalent to"that other horrible arcade game we all know". It just takes time. There is no point in worrying about accurate weapons and FM (constantly bothering the Devs) if we want the simple things like AAR dumbed down. I say simple because AAR is mostly formation flying. No point in accurate anything if we are going to turn it into an arcade where everything is easy. We have all of these manuals (which some don't even bother to read) and a plethora of info from the forums. For years I watched people down the more popular civil sims and say "Come to DCS, it's the most realistic for combat blah, blah". And they were right! Now, that being said, there are cheats in game already, but lets not lose our minds! The fact that the OP openly stated that he "didn't have time" is very telling! Five solid years in DCS for me and a lot seem to want unrealistic things in order to make their lives easier (RIP Immersion). Very funny!
Jackjack171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #230
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackjack171 View Post
Dumbing down features of the simulation is a slippery slope. No sooner, this (DCS) will be the equivalent to"that other horrible arcade game we all know". It just takes time.
I can agree with that. Although I don't think DCS could ever devolve to that other game, casual-feature creep is indeed a potential problem. Add easier A now and a year later, people will want easier B. At some point you've gone too far, but because the game is more casual now, it has attracted a certain crowd and that crowd is used to these mechanics. You can't go back. You can't remove easy A and easy B now that they're there and the crowd you've attracted will soon demand easy C. And so on. I'm not saying that this will happen, but it can happen.