Guess what! Easy AAR! - Page 21 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #201
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFalcon View Post
When learning something like skiing you are not just shoved done the expert slope the first time out. You work up to it.
Same here:
1. First KC-130 then KC-135 then S-3B
2. Straight and level then in bank (then inverted )
3. Day then night
4. Clear weather then clouds then precipitation
5. No wind/no wake turbulence then more wind/turbulence with wake turbulence

In the long missions you can make slots for airstarts, closer to the AO, for people to not require AAR or landing.

That we already have simplifications is not an argument to have more of them. If anything I would like to remove them. Wrong allignment for cat? No hookup for you, do it again until you do it properly.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #202
SharpeXB

I still don’t see how this topic warrants 21 pages of discussion. Who needs to AAR so desperately? None of the missions in DCS require this afaik. Aside from the Maple Flag qualification courses. Even realistic Campaigns like Red Flag aren’t long enough to need it. How does a player have time for two hour missions but doesn’t have time to practice AAR? Yeah I did learn it myself but I really never use it.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #203
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
I still don’t see how this topic warrants 21 pages of discussion. Who needs to AAR so desperately? None of the missions in DCS require this afaik. Aside from the Maple Flag qualification courses. Even realistic Campaigns like Red Flag aren’t long enough to need it. How does a player have time for two hour missions but doesn’t have time to practice AAR? Yeah I did learn it myself but I really never use it.
I use it fairly regularly on the missions I play. I mostly fly the F-18 and it has relatively short legs. Couple a long mission with having to wait in the stack above the carrier until it's your turn and AAR becomes unavoidable.

Mind you, I don't think an easy mode should be added in the game, I'm just answering your question. IMO, people who want to use AAR should train in it, the same way they train to take off, land and do carrier recoveries. If we add easy mode AAR, we might as well go ahead and add easy mode CASE I, where you don't have to worry about making a good pass. Where's the fun in that? There is an Easy Flight mode in the game. Coupled with disabling wake turbulence, it should make AAR significantly easier already.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #204
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harker View Post
I mostly fly the F-18 and it has relatively short legs. Couple a long mission with having to wait in the stack above the carrier until it's your turn and AAR becomes unavoidable.
Oh good. So if I learn AAR on the Hornet I’ll actually get to use it
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 06-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #205
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
Oh good. So if I learn AAR on the Hornet I’ll actually get to use it
Most definitely. I've played two user made campaigns (Exigent Riviera and Cage the Bear) and they both need it, for example. I'd say it's a must in several missions, both SP and MP.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #206
OldFalcon

Interesting. I am curious as to how long some of you think is an average amount of time pilots have spent practicing air to air refueling. I am only talking about hooking up to the basket, not learning TACAN to find the refueling plane or learning the proper way to communicate with the refueling plane. I am not asking what it took you personally but a reasonable average amount. Some of you must know several pilots who have this skill. I would like to know because if most of you come up with a time amount which is significantly less than the time I have already spent then perhaps I need rethink whether or not I have the coordination to accomplish this.
OldFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #207
randomTOTEN

I'd guess 5-10 hours if you start with no ability to fly formation?
randomTOTEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #208
probad

5-10 hours sounds about right, but its important to spread it out over time. 5 hours over a week builds muscle memory, 5 hours in a day builds frustration.
if you're practicing right, you ought to be able to fuel after this initial investment, but it will remain a highly perishable skill until you rack up several times more hours.
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL

Last edited by probad; 06-29-2020 at 05:15 PM.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #209
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
5-10 hours sounds about right, but its important to spread it out over time. 5 hours over a week builds muscle memory, 5 hours in a day builds frustration.
Right. And you need to take a break to let your subconscious mind continue to work on it... like using the Force...
Old 06-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #210
OldFalcon

Thank you for the response. Wow. I think I have spent a lot more than that. I think I am starting to understand why some pilots are wondering what is the problem. 5 to 10 hours is a fair amount of hours to learn a specific skill but hardly unreasonable. I think I am going to give it a couple more hours per your recommendations for how to spread them out and make sure I keep close tabs on the time spent. If don't see some real improvement it's unlimited fuel.
OldFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote