F5 pulling left during take off.

Arbil

This only started with the 2.5 update. I was playing with someone in multiplayer and they brought up the same thing without me saying anything about it. The plane wants to pull hard left on take off. I have to use toe brake to keep it going straight until I get enough rudder authority. I have checked all my binds and cleared all axis bindings that aren't being used and even cleared and rebound the rudder. I have seen a few other posts where people are saying it's pulling left on them when they are landing but I am seeing it on take off so IDK but I definitely feel like something is up. Anyone else been feeling it pull left on during take off or have any other troubleshooting suggestions for me to try?

I've experienced the same. Checked crosswinds, throttle settings, rudder bindings. No explanation that I can find. I only started learning the F-5E with 2.5, so not sure how it behaved prior to the OpenBeta. I wasn't sure if this was some obscure aspect of the Tiger II that was modeled, but I couldn't find any explanation.

I've learned to live with it. I find that if I accelerate slowly initially (80-90% throttle) there's no effect, then once I'm rolling, I can crank up to full power.

Can we get a track? There have been threads complaining about ground handling issues with the F5 since there has been an F5 (some on takeoff but particularly roll out behavior), but it seems like no one will post of track of them having the issue so the community can try to help.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Sounds silly, but is there any chance that the front wheel isn't 100% straight when you release the nose wheel steering button?

When I roll onto the active for a take off, I will stop briefly, and then roll forward a few more feet to make sure that the nose wheel is as straight as possible and I'm lined up properly. I find that the nose-wheel-steering is too sensitive to use during the takeoff run. If I need to correct on the takeoff run before the speed gets to a point that the rudder gets some authority I will quickly 'tap' the wheel brake to straighten out, I have a pretty aggressive curve set on each wheel brake axis, as there is no anti-skid and has a tendency to skid.

I fly the F-5E almost exclusively, and haven't noticed any change in takeoff/rollout behaviour between 1.5.8 to 2.5

Wow, glad its not just me. I've noticed it during taxi and thought maybe the left main tire was modeled undersize (like early M2000 release).

And yes, takeoffs are with a left roll input that requires immediate attention.

Only time I saw this happen I had a brake dragging. Had to recalibrate the hardware. Any chance asymmetric wingtip stores are contributing? To investigate I would try a no-stores taxi/takeoff in zero wind conditions with the flight control input thing visible (forgot the shortcut). MIL takeoff, check thrust is symmetrical, then a MAX takeoff, check burners light at same time. Of course beware of NWS but I think everyone checked that already.

I have experienced a similar issue in the past. Aircraft would pull one way, then I'd correct with rudder, and it would just get exaggerated the longer it happened. I looked like I was taking off under the influence. Turned out my brakes were dragging due to pedal calibration. I was not experiencing a roll tendency after rotation though.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

I just checked and everything seems fine for me. Good luck finding the problem! I had to do a brake pedal recalibration the other day, the slightest touch on the pedal had me at 50% brakes for some weird reason, was driving me batty until I figured it out. Hopefully that's all it is for you.

I noticed a roll to the left while cruising on the F-5 ACM campaign, but put it down to the instrumentation pod on the left wing-tip with the right empty.

The fuel load is not symmetrical, but from memory, the left tank has less than the right (dials rather blurry in VR), so I would guess it should go the other way.

Also, if you look at the rear of the plane sometimes, one engine is on AB, while the other isn't despite both appearing to be at the same throttle setting.

Lots of things could be effecting it ... sorry, not a lot of help!

The fuel load is not symmetrical, but from memory, the left tank has less than the right (dials rather blurry in VR), so I would guess it should go the other way.

Actually that's a quirk of instrumentation. Despite being labelled as L/R, the fuel tanks are actually forward/aft! Take a look here, items 98 and 117. If I remember correctly the forward tank has more capacity than the aft one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed a difference in ground handling since 2.5. I flew it early, about five or six month ago... maybe more. Long before 2.5 come out. Ground handling worked OK then ... a little touchy but everything seemed to work. Having flown the real F-5E with the Navy, I was interested to see how it compares. Most everything is good except some aspects of ground handling.

1. I don't recall that it took so much throttle to get moving. Not a big deal

2. When I first tried it I bound the brakes to Axis and they seemed to work OK, maybe a bit touchy (Probably my binding).

3. I then started flying several other aircraft and did not fly the F-5E for several months... through the transition to 2.5 and started again only a few days ago. The brakes have not worked at all. I can't seem to get them to bind to the Axis. I've tried several different times, still no luck. I posted a note in ED forums... don't remember where! I was told that it was most likely the Standard Flight Model. I can't image that's the problem... I had them working prior to 2.5. Still looking for help.

It turns out my earlier post was on the C101 not the F-5E, but the write-up still applies. However, it may be some setting I have that's changed. Both the earlier C-101 write-up and this current write-up on the F-5E brakes are valid and essentially the same write up... just on different aircraft.

Edited by Bonz

• 1 month later...

I am convinced there is a issue with ground handling on specific settings or maybe set ups. I watch videos of admitted "newbies" who to/ land and track straight as a arrow. I have 1200+ tail dragger hrs IRL, been flying sims since Microprose F-119, have a top of the line HOTAS setup and 3 outta 4 landings I end up sideways.,WTH?

What are people's rudder settings?" This plane eats up runways so I cannot "stab" the brakes. If I apply even pressure it is bound to pull so I must get on the other side harder which leads to the left to right dance and eventual sideways slide.

All I can do is land with airbrakes on, nail the numbers,hit the chute and then the emergency brake.

Wind or no wind, I never had such problems as you describe. Landing according to AoA I still have lots of room before the end of the rwy. Most of the time I exit about halfway if there is a taxiway. And thats without use of chute.

I think my curve on left and right toebrake is around 20.

Here is how I do it:

Touchdown on AoA (~150kn), Airbrake out, retract flaps, aerobrake until about 100kn, nosewheel on ground and then gently apply brakes until i feel the nose wandering a bit. Then release pressure a bit, and then work left and right toebrakes to stay on track.

Do you have separate throttles and are they in sync?

EDIT: track attached

F-5 landing.trk

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.