Nvidia DSR and DCS

Hrmpf, seems half of the post was lost on its way.

...so back to upscaled video.

After you "upscaled" you can now "downsample" to 1080p or whatever native resolution your monitor provides. In fact the downsampled pictures are at an artificial "4K" with the same FOV and less pronounced aliasing effects.

It can't be as "sharp" as native 4K, but it is better than 1080p nonetheless.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my own experience with DCS and tuning performance in the last couple if days, my recommendation about DSR is not to use it.

The UI problems are already obvious, and the blurry text spoils my party but I would probably take that if the flight graphics benefitted a lot.

But I also found that DSR provides a sort of AntiAliasing, I found it actually swallows up the details on a really good looking aircraft.

This is of course a fine tuned process and every hardware/driver combo is different. But on mine, the best results by far are the inbuilt DCS AA and AF (8x 16x without performance hit), and Nvidia panel set to use application settings in everything.

The option to disable AA/AF in DCS and force it through Nvidia resulting in higher fps but totally borked AA - not recommenced

As the third option, DSR allows me to run without AA at all. As I could also run the highest 4x DSR, it would give a highly homogenous, artifact free picture (which is great) but all sharpness of details is lost.

This may be only apparent when you have found a setting where AA really works and use skins on the aircraft that looks like you can touch it. And those aircraft looked blurry as on a console with DSR.