Oculus Rift Summer sale

Koriel

Seriously? How can you NOT be impressed by the Rift?

Serious question, have you actually used one (with DCS) ?

[...]

It was a poor attempt of humor, I was being sarcastic to help our friend to ease its eagerness to receive his computer while having his Rift at hand. I failed, I can leave now.

:cry:

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least, I had my first flight yesterday in VR :)

I had great expectations, and I had fears too : Would my gtx970 handle it ? Yes, no problem :thumbup:

No word can describe what you are about to live when you put your headset on for the first time. OK, we read everywhere that you are actually IN the game/video/cockpit...Yes, it's right, you are, but from what I knew so far, I expected some sort of 360° TrackIR, a 360° flat image. It's so much more than that ! The most stunning is that you can see, you can feel the volumes, the actual scales. The Gazelle and the P51D cockpit are sooo tight !!! :shocking: And I can't help trying to touch every knob, I almost forget it's just images !

VR is a major step in not only video games and all sorts of sims, but I think it's the future of the way we look at images, truly. Maybe the biggest improvement in image since the Lumiere brothers showed the first moving images more than a century ago ! I lived every forward step in video games since Pong (I'm 52), but VR is by far the most incredible !

If you still hesitate to order your rift, I can tell you it's well worth the price, even if it were twice as expensive.

I used to play on a 40" 4K, everything maxed out, and NEVER MORE I would be able to play a game, ANY game, on a screen, it's VR forever ! There's no going back !

What you lose in graphics (and honestly it's not that bad) you gain in immersion, sensations and EMOTION ! I tried an emergency landing with my P51 and experienced my first bad landing in VR and I actually SHOUTED when my landing gear broke and my bird crashed ! I was breathless and needed some time to recover...

Talking of immersion, I have a buttkicker too and it's priceless :thumbup: I now need a moving seat and consider getting a Geko GS105 as soon as possible and everything will be perfect :)

If you are about to take the plunge into VR too, buy VoiceAttack, it's almost mandatory, the mic of the rift works just fine with it. I have a G13 too, and I don't need my keyboard anymore :)

I also tried a few free apps like Google Earth VR or Mission : ISS, and they give a short overview of what VR can bring in the future.

Rift is my best investment ever ! :thumbup: Thanks to all for you for giving me the desire to buy one, I owe you one big time :smilewink:

Edit : I'm short-sighted and presbyopic given my age and wear bifocal lenses or bifocal glasses and everything is OK with both, if your glasses are not too wide. Lenses are more comfortable though

Edited by FastForward

At least, I had my first flight yesterday in VR :)

I had great expectations, and I had fears too : Would my gtx970 handle it ? Yes, no problem

No word can describe what you are about to live when you put your headset on for the first time. OK, we read everywhere that you are actually IN the game/video/cockpit...Yes, it's right, you are, but from what I knew so far, I expected some sort of 360° TrackIR, a 360° flat image. It's so much more than that ! The most stunning is that you can see, you can feel the volumes, the actual scales. The Gazelle and the P51D cockpit are sooo tight !!! :shocking: And I can't help trying to touch every knob, I almost forget it's just images !

VR is a major step in not only video games and all sorts of sims, but I think it's the future of the way we look at images, truly. Maybe the biggest improvement in image since the Lumiere brothers showed the first moving images more than a century ago ! I lived every forward step in video games since Pong (I'm 52), but VR is by far the most incredible !

If you still hesitate to order your rift, I can tell you it's well worth the price, even if it were twice as expensive.

I used to play on a 40" 4K, everything maxed out, and NEVER MORE I would be able to play a game, ANY game, on a screen, it's VR forever ! There's no going back !

What you lose in graphics (and honestly it's not that bad) you gain in immersion, sensations and EMOTION ! I tried an emergency landing with my P51 and experienced my first bad landing in VR and I actually SHOUTED when my landing gear broke and my bird crashed ! I was breathless and needed some time to recover...

Talking of immersion, I have a buttkicker too and it's priceless I now need a moving seat and consider getting a Geko GS105 as soon as possible and everything will be perfect :)

If you are about to take the plunge into VR too, buy VoiceAttack, it's almost mandatory, the mic of the rift works just fine with it. I have a G13 too, and I don't need my keyboard anymore :)

I also tried a few free apps like Google Earth VR or Mission : ISS, and they give a short overview of what VR can bring in the future.

Rift is my best investment ever ! Thanks to all for you for giving me the desire to buy one, I owe you one big time :smilewink:

Edit : I'm short-sighted and presbyopic given my age and wear bifocal lenses or bifocal glasses and everything is OK with both, if your glasses are not too wide. Lenses are more comfortable though

It's quite an experience isn't it? I ordered a jetseat pad too. It's similar to the butkicker but a bit better people say. I mainly use it to fly in DCS but all other VR games are great too.

Also I wear glasses too but when I'm out I wear contacts. My glasses are too thick to fit comfortably with the rift so I put the contacts in every time.

I've also heard you can order custom rift lenses to match your prescription..but this may become a yearly thing if your vision declines.

Edited by sze5003

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

It was a poor attempt of humor, I was being sarcastic to help our friend to ease its eagerness to receive his computer while having his Rift at hand. I failed, I can leave now.

:cry:

Ha, well it's not your fault I didn't get the joke. I can be a little slow sometimes :doh: .

I pulled the trigger as well. Holly sh*t it is just a mindblowing new dimension of simming. However I became really sick after my first and obviously too long VR session:)

Can you give some setting tips for my rig for the best performance/visuals?

2600k@4,5Ghz, GTX1070, 16GB and SSD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

I pulled the trigger as well. Holly sh*t it is just a mindblowing new dimension of simming. However I became really sick after my first and obviously too long VR session:)

Can you give some setting tips for my rig for the best performance/visuals?

2600k@4,5Ghz, GTX1070, 16GB and SSD.

Lol, yeah give yourself some time to get your VR legs. Took me about 2-3 weeks. As soon as you start to feel the slightest bit nauseous, take a break for a while. It will subside after some time.

DCS is currently very performance hungry in VR, especially over Normandy if you are flying that one.

Best thing I would suggest is lower everything to the bare minimum, and slowly work your way up from there.

MSAA is a large performance hit.

Deferred Shading is as well.

Definitely go low on clutter, grass, trees.

Texture details can go lower ( won't notice a big difference due to resolution in VR).

Shadows - start with them off completely. I keep them off, as they too are a big hit.

I have gotten to where I can run MSAA at 2x which helps, I don't much care for it with none applied.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thank you dburne. I reduced my VR portions significantly. I figured that I can handle about 15min now.:P

I haven`t tried it with Normandy yet, only with 1.5.7 which runs quite well. I am curious about how my rig will handle Normandy and Nevada with the oculus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

For my settings I gave shadows off, textures to high, terrain to high, water to low, minimum trees. Msaa x2 and af off. Hdr off, depth of field off, view distance high.

Runs pretty good with some jagged head movement usually in night missions or if I enable the rearview mirror. I feel like I had better performance in 2.1 though and it looks better in Nevada.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

just pulled the trigger on the Rift sale, now the impatient wait for arrival day :D

Anyone here from Ireland order one on sale recently?

I'm trying to get a ball park figure for the final amount including shipping and taxes,

they don't supply that in the order confirmation mail, says they add it all to charges at time of shipping

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

just pulled the trigger on the Rift sale, now the impatient wait for arrival day :D

Anyone here from Ireland order one on sale recently?

I'm trying to get a ball park figure for the final amount including shipping and taxes,

they don't supply that in the order confirmation mail, says they add it all to charges at time of shipping

Irland to Norway no extra fees. Vat is in the price

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

• 3 weeks later...

Oculus recently ended it and went with their previously announced new pricing of 499.00 USD.

Might check Amazon if they ship there.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|