How are you supposed to learn this thing with these horrible training missions?

I do know where your coming from imacken and agree with you that the training can always be updated to be that little bit better.

But we just went full circle here and we are back to ED doing more of the heavy lifting. You know the PC in a PC thing, now it's an interactive flight training simulation in a flight simulation, cRazy right... That's ED for you...

ED should just do it like the other sims have done it perhaps, wait a minute, they don't do it. The three letter fighter sim has 3 manuals, two of the manuals are to explain the updates for the first manual, little confusing for the beginner and they rely very very heavily on the community. Many give up because of the workload.

The civi 737 I fly has 3000 pages of real Boeing documents supplied with it and a good flight walkthrough, still know interactive training. YouTube is your friend here, plus I paid for a full video course off a 3rd party site. Angle of attack started a business around this missing piece of the puzzle for the beginner pilot.

There is no "resistance" here imacken, Ed's got lots on their plate at the moment and for the foreseeable future, there has been issues to continue on, in training missions, seen it for the Mig 21 etc. I Guess there could be an update syncing? issue that ED needs to look at down the track.

Is this in the Bug section too? Will take a look, I'm guessing yes.

What can we do to as a community here and now to help?

The new cadet I think has to step up more and commit oneself to the curriculum at hand (OK their not in the Air force just yet, lol) ask for help more if they need things explained in a different way.

I was going to go through the missions and record them, then take some notes to see if they could be changed easily at certain positions to help. Then I was thinking these videos of the training may also help here for the beginner? They get to see want you need to do to be able to get through them and they have rewind and fast forward too.

All I can say it's not easy trying to cater for everyone and everyone's level. This cannot be just left left up to Ed and for them to come up with the perfect training system simulation and curriculum that suits everyone. We cannot setup the perfect system to spoon feed the new guys, they need to do some homework here at this level and the first post does not come across that way.

Thanks David.

The thread has moved on a lot from the OP's unfortunate first post.

Sorry to disagree, buy I don't feel the discussion has anything to do with catering for different levels. I entirely agree with your sentiments, but that is not the issue here.

Of course, learning any DCS module is a combination of reading manuals, looking at YT tutorial videos, and undertaking the DCS training missions.

How the combination of these is balanced is down to each individual user.

My beef is that the training mission aspect just doesn't work as it should. Simple as that.

How would it be if we were unable to re-read a section of the manual, or review a cockpit diagram after looking at it once, without going back to the beginning? Or a YT video? What if you were 30 minutes in, and had to restart because you couldn't replay the previous section?

This is how it is in the training missions in DCS. IMO, a lot of great content is wasted because of the flaky system that triggers the next event.

Clearly, my gripe should be directed towards ED, and I think we've reached the stage in this thread that no more needs to be said.

I would like to think that a fundamental improvement will be made by ED, but I fear that, as it has been this way for a number of years now, it is quite unlikely!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

During my travels I was playing around with this Firefox plugin, could be another useful tool for training in game for those only using one screen etc.

DCS forum post in the Guides & Tutorials section

Force Web Browser on top in sim for training videos and PDFs

5L3DHahBPGo

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

During my travels I was playing around with this Firefox plugin, could be another useful tool for training in game for those only using one screen etc.

DCS forum post in the Guides & Tutorials section

Force Web Browser on top in sim for training videos and PDFs

That looks really useful, thanks David.

Personally, for that kind of thing, I use an iPad sitting next to my screen, but for anyone without a tablet, that looks ideal!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hmmm, I've just installed that add on to Firefox, but can't see how to initiate it! Any help?

Hmmm, I've just installed that add on to Firefox, but can't see how to initiate it! Any help?

Ctrl+Alt+T

Firefox Menu --> View --> Always on top

Agreed imacken, this would have definitely helped me when starting out, using only one screen.

Few funny sticky areas in the mission, En Route Navigation, Still testing.

I was thinking if I video these missions when time permits it could help ease some frustration.

Combining the videos of the training mission with this (Always on top) plugin possibly may help some...

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Ctrl+Alt+T

Firefox Menu --> View --> Always on top

Agreed imacken, this would have definitely helped me when starting out, using only one screen.

Few funny sticky areas in the mission, En Route Navigation, Still testing.

I was thinking if I video these missions when time permits it could help ease some frustration.

Combining the videos of the training mission with this (Always on top) plugin possibly may help some...

-

Sounds good to me. I tried one of the weapons training missions last night, and I manage to stick it at 2 points before I gave up. I'll load it up again later and note where it happens.