Su-33 PFM

archer86

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok NP :) .

I was just a nitpicking in regards to the terms "war power" and "emergency military power"(since "military power" is the term for maximum thrust without AFB).

How does that work exactly? Does it add more fuel into the combustion chamber, thus increasing temperature and RPM for a short period of time until the aircraft reaches a safe altitude?

You can definitely see the RPM spool up some when enabled...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

AFAIK the chucks were the same as used when the aircraft is parked and are part of the aircraft 3D model(added/removed via visibility argument).

So maybe ED removed their appearance from the carrier logic in preparation for the arrival of the new aircraft carrier model(with the proper chucks)?

The chocks I am referring to are the ones at the launch point that come out of the flight deck to hold the plane back against the full thrust of the engines until the launch occurs when they are retracted into the deck and the plane goes up the ramp.

In the past, I recall that, after hitting the "U" key, the a/c was snapped to the launch point with those chocks up and the JBD was brought up into position. That seems to have changed now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How does that work exactly? Does it add more fuel into the combustion chamber, thus increasing temperature and RPM for a short period of time..

Yes with an automatic power-down, which BTW I believe is controlled by EGT level rather than a fixed time period.

...until the aircraft reaches a safe altitude?

No not really - it just provides a little extra power to accelerate to safe take-off speed at a certain TOW within the fixed distance(s) available and helps to recover from a low energy state e.g. in case of missed wire.

I am not sure about the Su-33, but for the MiG-29K(9.31 which had a similar mode) it was to enable it to take off from the forward start position(105 m run) at normal TOW and from the rear position(195 m run) at max TOW.

JJ

The chocks I am referring to are the ones at the launch point that come out of the flight deck to hold the plane back against the full thrust of the engines until the launch occurs when they are retracted into the deck and the plane goes up the ramp.

In the past, I recall that, after hitting the "U" key, the a/c was snapped to the launch point with those chocks up and the JBD was brought up into position. That seems to have changed now.

Yes I know what you were referring to :) . What I am saying is that in the sim they are part of the aircraft 3D model and made visible when the aircraft is at the starting position of the carrier/made invisible again at launch.

Its just a simplistic representation of the starting blocks, which of course should be an animated part of the aircraft carrier model instead - I was speculating that maybe it is on ED's new 3D model and that they removed the old method of appearance in preparation for that.....see what I mean? :)

JJ

Well since the model is getting updated and after I edited my lua file, I can see my method for performing landings is useless - dive and flare at the end. I completely destroy the gear. So I want to ask: How do you land properly? Speed, descent rate etc...

I was able to perform 2 successful back to back landings with the latter one still damaging the gear just a tiny bit but I have no idea how I managed to do it, took me quite a few attempts. Was descending with 5m/s and my speed was around 260-270 km/h. Maybe it will be easier/harder after both the Su-33 and the Kuznetsov modules are finished :D

Well since the model is getting updated and after I edited my lua file, I can see my method for performing landings is useless - dive and flare at the end. I completely destroy the gear. So I want to ask: How do you land properly? Speed, descent rate etc...

I was able to perform 2 successful back to back landings with the latter one still damaging the gear just a tiny bit but I have no idea how I managed to do it, took me quite a few attempts. Was descending with 5m/s and my speed was around 260-270 km/h. Maybe it will be easier/harder after both the Su-33 and the Kuznetsov modules are finished :D

I am far from the expert in this. I rarely fly carrier traps. But I decided to give it a try and here's the result.

No voiceover or descriptive text but, hopefully, you'll get the idea. Notice that, given my gross weight (around 40% fuel and some weapons) I didn't go green on the indexer until I had slowed to about 260 km/hr just before landing. Not even sure which wire I caught. Also forgot completely to power up as I trapped in case I boltered.

So, I'm sure there are people who can provide a much better example of doing it right. But this should get you started:

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I am far from the expert

Well you're one of the few Flanker masters in DCS I know of. Thanks for the video. My problem is that I always think I'm going to crash into the back of the Kuznetsov, which results in me applying more throttle and overshooting or landing too hard. If you pause your video at 2:24, to me it looks like you're going to slam the gear at the back of the aircraft carrier, but then it turns out you perfectly calculated it. I would've panicked and gone ham. :joystick:

...f you pause your video at 2:24, to me it looks like you're going to slam the gear at the back of the aircraft carrier, but then it turns out you perfectly calculated it. I would've panicked and gone ham. :joystick:

Well...since that was my first attempt, if I gave the carrier's fantail a giant hug, I could give it one more try before I headed out the door for work.

When in doubt, trust the flight director. I figured that, in the final moments, as long as it was centered on the aircraft datum, I wouldn't come to harm. An embarrassing bolter, perhaps, but I'd survive. As it turned out, the flight director circle didn't lie.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Is the autothrottle useful (and actually meant for) carrier landings, or is that something meant for aerial refueling instead, considering how one can fine tune the speed with it?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Is the autothrottle useful (and actually meant for) carrier landings, or is that something meant for aerial refueling instead, considering how one can fine tune the speed with it?

Autothrust ON is the only way I could land on the Kusnetsov. You have to approach at fairly high AOA, manage your "glidepath" (doesn't feel like gliding), manage your speed and direction... Without autothrottle I either crashed into the stern, or fell into the sea, or overshot or crash-landed.

Haven't found any guidance for landing so it was trial and error. The way it works for me:

1. from an altitude between 500 and 1000 m reduce speed to 300 (using speedbrake if necessary)

2. at 300 engage flaps, landing gear and tailhook (so you don't forget it)

3. descending slowly to about 200 m, let speed bleed down to 240 and engage auto-throttle. In this phase the autothrottle seems to keep the speed at 250 even if you use the speed up or down commands. So 250 seems right for landing.

4. keep descending slowly until about 80 m (radar altitude) and then even more slowly until you are just above the deck level but not too low, so you can see the catch ropes. This phase is tricky; if you are not careful you hit the carrier's stern. When you have passed the stern lower her down gently and let the rope catch you. When you have come to a stop the rope will try to pull you backwards. I use brakes gently so I don't get whipped back to the stern and into the water.

5. If you manage to go back just far enough so the rope has slack, you can get the rope off the tailhook using the tail hook commamd once or twice..

PS: If your carrier has any speed, it will advance underneath your plane until you go over board backwards.

Edit: I've watched the track of my last landing. The carrier's deck seems to be at about 30m above the water. So Radar altitude just before the carrier should be abou 40 m I think.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

From a RL F-18 pilot's perspective about the auto throttle just in our forum: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3200726&postcount=89

And also this to keep me reminded of how to properly control the stick and throttle to adjust glideslope and AOA: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3199718&postcount=18

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

I am far from the expert in this. I rarely fly carrier traps. But I decided to give it a try and here's the result.

No voiceover or descriptive text but, hopefully, you'll get the idea. Notice that, given my gross weight (around 40% fuel and some weapons) I didn't go green on the indexer until I had slowed to about 260 km/hr just before landing. Not even sure which wire I caught. Also forgot completely to power up as I trapped in case I boltered.

So, I'm sure there are people who can provide a much better example of doing it right. But this should get you started:

Seems to me that you are on glideslope from 2:10 to 2:13 but AOA is low (overspeed). You pulled the throttle to reduce speed but not enough stick to compensate a dropping velocity vector so the aircraft slipped below the glideslope. We have all the four wires in sight when touching down so probably 1-wire. Great video anyways.

Edited by LJQCN101

From a RL F-18 pilot's perspective about the auto throttle just in our forum: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3200726&postcount=89

And also this to keep me reminded of how to properly control the stick and throttle to adjust glideslope and AOA: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3199718&postcount=18

Interesting reads. Thanks.

As far as the video is concerned, I knew I was too fast, since the indexer kept indicating that. OTOH, I had, maybe, two chances to record something before I had to leave for work and wanted to make sure I had time for a 2nd take, if I blew the first. :)

To show you how long it's been, I've forgotten which wire I'm ideally supposed to catch. Which is it? 3?

Edited by Ironhand

_____

so I updated against my bitter judgement to 1.5.7 so I should expect the PFM to be there? Its running OK (like maybe 30 fps on an uncrowded airport), but just to be sure before I start (or actually get back) to carrier quals..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

To show you how long it's been, I've forgotten which wire I'm ideally supposed to catch. Which is it? 3?

Yes it's 3.

I think it's wire 2.

Wire number is counted sequentially from the Ramp towards the Bow. Not the other way around.

Thanks for letting me know. I did try it out and its still SFM. Good refreshment anyways and I did find the variable autothrust controls increase/decrease speed commands. The kuznetsov is still old in DCSW doesnt have the updated carrier model as seen in the newsletter pictures.

Screen_170704_140250.jpg

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 6 months later...

*NECRO WARNING*

Did anyone figure out how to use this yet?

"Inclusion of the automatic collision avoidance system ("Uvod" mode) that allows safe nap-of-the-earth flying."

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian