Gazelle Flight Dynamics... Again. - Page 21 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #201
borchi_2b

Reputation power: 29
borchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to all

I have no idea how the guys managed to climb inverted, I have never managed to do so in the DCS:SA342M. I also faced numerous times VRS where others stated there is none or people state that there is no groundeffect, although i certainly feel it start at 1 dics and getting more pronounced at 3/4 of a dics and increasing.
Tereare certain ways to test things, but as said before, please, I can only ask for patience. In the meanwhile I keep on working on a Polychop Skunkwork/ Phantomworks project.
And no, the name has no relationship to the project.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #202
some1

Reputation power: 18
some1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
there are more than ONE guy stating that they flew it inverted and at least ONE person who says he was even able to climb in inverted flight.
Haven't seen any proof that it can climb inverted. Maybe for a brief moment using a speed you gained in a dive, but certainly not by just rotating and putting collective fully down.

The guys who flew it inverted (me included) did it while sinking. Though Gazelle can be kept inverted as long as you have altitude to loose and is fully controllable in this state.

Owned modules out of beta: A-10C; Ka-50; P-51; FW-190D; UH-1; FC; FC2; FC3; L-39C/ZA; MiG-15bis; F-86F Sabre; Bf 109 K-4; F-5E; Mi-8MTV2; M-2000C
Owned betas: SA-342; NTTR; MiG-21bis; C-101 Aviojet; Hawk T.1A; Spitfire IX; AJS 37
Hardware: Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift CV1
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #203
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 30
BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

Thanks borchi-2b! Can't wait to see the outcome of this survey with the Gazelle pilots. I think everybody flying at BlackSharkDen would dream to be able to chit chat with Gazelle pilots (by the way, if one day you can do a live event with an IRL gazelle pilot where people can directly ask questions, you guys would be stars to all the community).

@Bitmaster: not sure I understood you well in your last post but are you assuming that real life helicopters can have negative blade pitch? Because they don't. That's an RC thing only.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #204
borchi_2b

Reputation power: 29
borchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to allborchi_2b is a name known to all

@BaD CrC:
The idea of havng a live event with one of the french guys sounds like fun, but I doupt that this would be possible at all, cause we also have the responsibility to protect our sources, cause as stated before, some of the sources are active pilots that do fight in not so pleasent wars too.
Maybe in the future, the department I am talking too at the moment, could open up and do an interview. I can ask them but the first question will be like, what is this for and what questions do the people of the community have, plus in that case it is a real department of the army, not just a single pilot.

Maybe I could arrange a live event where some people of the community could be invited into the comms chat and this could be published as livefeed throught twich or so. This depends on the availability of the pilots. I can imagine that one of them might be willing to do such, but that would have to be planned and there would be some questions that are no goes, for example names, or missions the pilot has been active in or where he fought in general, stuff like that. So for such an event, if the pilot is willing to do such, this would require some planning.

For a different helicopter that I am working on I know that this livefeed and interview would defenately be possible, cause as soon the pilot, I am working with in that project, hears about that idea he is more then happy to go for it, I can imagine, plus, he is a good friend of mine.

BaD CrC, thanks for the inspiration for some cool marketing events possible to get closer ties to the community in the future again after all this silence.

Maybe the best question asked that day, wins a price. Have to see.

Ok, back to work, need to get something finished so it can go into coding.

Last edited by borchi_2b; 05-13-2017 at 08:46 AM.
borchi_2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #205
Hawkeye60

Reputation power: 7
Hawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really nice

Quote:
The idea of havng a live event with one of the french guys sounds like fun, but I doupt that this would be possible at all, cause we also have the responsibility to protect our sources, cause as stated before, some of the sources are active pilots that do fight in not so pleasent wars too.
Maybe in the future, the department I am talking too at the moment, could open up and do an interview. I can ask them but the first question will be like, what is this for and what questions do the people of the community have, plus in that case it is a real department of the army, not just a single pilot.

Maybe I could arrange a live event where some people of the community could be invited into the comms chat and this could be published as livefeed throught twich or so. This depends on the availability of the pilots. I can imagine that one of them might be willing to do such, but that would have to be planned and there would be some questions that are no goes, for example names, or missions the pilot has been active in or where he fought in general, stuff like that. So for such an event, if the pilot is willing to do such, this would require some planning.

For a different helicopter that I am working on I know that this livefeed and interview would defenately be possible, cause as soon the pilot, I am working with in that project, hears about that idea he is more then happy to go for it, I can imagine, plus, he is a good friend of mine.

BaD CrC, thanks for the inspiration for some cool marketing events possible to get closer ties to the community in the future again after all this silence.

Maybe the best question asked that day, wins a price. Have to see.

Ok, back to work, need to get something finished so it can go into coding. __________________
This is a wonderful idea!
Perhaps you could just submit questions to a pilot and post the answers as a text file. No live feed at all. This way, we could ask a few questions and you could choose what to submit to the pilot.
The names and locations shall remain private!

Thank you!
Give my regards to Blinky! (I've missed him!)

Hawkeye
"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."
Hawkeye60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #206
FragBum

Reputation power: 2
FragBum will become famous soon enoughFragBum will become famous soon enoughFragBum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye60 View Post
This is a wonderful idea!
Perhaps you could just submit questions to a pilot and post the answers as a text file. No live feed at all. This way, we could ask a few questions and you could choose what to submit to the pilot.
The names and locations shall remain private!

Thank you!
Give my regards to Blinky! (I've missed him!)

Hawkeye
Preferred method, seems we have a bad rep with the way some members treat actual Gazelle pilots, I'm sorry I just don't think a rinse and repeat with yet another pilot is in any way constructive.

Some observations form a V-PIT pilot. So I'll start with these.

As I understand it, in reality the Gazelle can not fly upside down. Maybe and I believe there is a photo in this (as well as directions to preform a roll in a Gazelle from a pilot) or a related thread of an actual Gazelle rolling through inverted.

I've seen the videos showing actual inverted flight and in that circumstance it appears to be either a "bug"or an exception or out of range condition not caught in the FM. Still trying to get into this mode. Research of course.

Ground effect, well with the Gazelle loaded with crew and 70% fuel etc the Gazelle is borderline over weight AFAIK, when the fuel level gets down to 30% better still 20% ground effect appears to be modelled, more so at 2 to 3%. It may well be that at heavier loads the Gazelle is predominantly under-powered. That's how it feels.

Correcting attitude coming out of turns, well this seems variable and more dependent on SAS (AP?) to me the Gazelle SAS seems to to attempt to hold the attitude you set handy if you want to aim missiles of guns at a specific target. The same as with SAS off and just flying the Gazelle it seems to have a greater degree of control albeit you need to provide the necessary control inputs. In other words the Gazelle in the correct conditions is a versatile and agile platform. I do think however at 150Kph it should with SAS off always windmill into direction of flight. I didn't really realise it but I just corrected and continued on flying.

The spinning thing I think I can get into this and maybe it's unrealistic after a point maybe something not caught in processing. But this shouldn't be confused with the ability to turn or even spin to a degree given it is an agile bird.

The express elevator down. Well I generally try to fly within the envelope but you can drop at an extraordinary rate and seemingly just stop and fly horizontal. I have been in an L39 doing a "strike run" and the G forces where awesome and prolonged, the pilot said he was being gentle with me. Stick time in that was awesome too.

Don't get me wrong I actually do enjoy flying the Gazelle and when lightly loaded with SAS turned off hovering feels very similar to the R44. In my very limited limited experience, just the way the Gazelle tries to get it's own way and the way it (V-SIM and rift) responds to corrections.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #207
MAD_MIKE
Veteran

Reputation power: 24
MAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really niceMAD_MIKE is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchi_2b View Post
@BaD CrC:

Ok, back to work, need to get something finished so it can go into coding.