Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
IAF_Phantom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZG...e_gdata_player

This Video shows what's in store with EDGE
IAF_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
MACADEMIC

Great video MP! Ilya should have enlisted you from the start!

MAC
MACADEMIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
MACADEMIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAF_Phantom View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZG...e_gdata_player

This Video shows what's in store with EDGE
Nice details, but colors and especially sky looks really flat. Hopefully this is not the engine but a matter of artistic direction!

MAC
Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Bucic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACADEMIC View Post
Nice details, but colors and especially sky looks really flat. Hopefully this is not the engine but a matter of artistic direction!

MAC
It is the engine. DCS sky is distinguished... Unless the engine gets completely redone in terms of lighting and color, not just tweaked, we will be witnessing an awkward situation where the new sim looks worse than its 3 y.o. predecessor. Graphics hasn't been a strong side of ED for years and while lack of resources is understandable the lack of acknowledgment and >will to pursue photorealism instead of eye-candy< is not. And this will backfire nicely on ED and, as collateral, on the whole DCS ecosystem.

It's rather clear is that at the time of release and throughout 2014, when compared to Il-2 cod, the project will be lacking in terms of graphics, damage modeling and AI. Hence what I'd like to see is some word on whether RRG is going to do some (even if DCS WWII exclusive!) work in these areas.
Bucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
tintifaxl

Luthier stated RRG couldn't work on AI and see-through trees and clouds. This must be implemented by ED.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
MACADEMIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
It is the engine. DCS sky is distinguished... Unless the engine gets completely redone in terms of lighting and color, not just tweaked, we will be witnessing an awkward situation where the new sim looks worse than its 3 y.o. predecessor. Graphics hasn't been a strong side of ED for years and while lack of resources is understandable the lack of acknowledgment and >will to pursue photorealism instead of eye-candy< is not. And this will backfire nicely on ED and, as collateral, on the whole DCS ecosystem.

It's rather clear is that at the time of release and throughout 2014, when compared to Il-2 cod, the project will be lacking in terms of graphics, damage modeling and AI. Hence what I'd like to see is some word on whether RRG is going to do some (even if DCS WWII exclusive!) work in these areas.
What makes you so sure...? We're talking about the new IG? I noticed you've been campaigning for graphical changes in DCS for a long time, I agree if we're talking the present engine, but do we know enough about EDGE yet?

Anyway, the technology for photorealistic flying environments would certainly be here. Example below.

MAC

Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
Griffin

Excellent video! That's what the Kickstarter needed from the beginning. No offence but the official videos haven't been all that inspiring. More machinima was definately needed. Though that one is possible only because it's unofficial as 1C would kick their ass if it wasn't.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
sobek
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
More machinima was definately needed.
That's an interesting thought. There's just one open question, then we're all set: How do you want to create a machinima of content that is not yet in existence?
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Korn

Good promo video, but it lacks shots from the very nice Mustang cockpit. DCS cockpits are a really strong suit so i don't understand why they're not shown.
Korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Bucic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACADEMIC View Post
What makes you so sure...? We're talking about the new IG? I noticed you've been campaigning for graphical changes in DCS for a long time, I agree if we're talking the present engine, but do we know enough about EDGE yet?

Anyway, the technology for photorealistic flying environments would certainly be here. Example below.

MAC

[ ]tbs0myDheaM[/YOUTUBE]
Quote:
the lack of acknowledgment and >will to pursue photorealism instead of eye-candy<
No technology is going to help if this doesn't change.

Was the recent footage the new IG? It would seem so. I've been told recently that 'EDGE is the IG' and the vids supposedly present EDGE. Can it be just 'the fault of outdated art asset or shader'? Sure it could. I'm just saying that based of what we've seen throughout the years up to this day hoping for pro-photorealism in DCS would be the pinnacle of wishful thinking. So please don't throw 'this is what happens when devs post WIP footage, you ungrateful piece of pumpernickel' at me, please.
Bucic is offline   Reply With Quote