When you see the fin in the HUD (radar ranging) do you really need a QFE settings??

DarkStar79

I just feel like its so much confusion everywhere. What i understands from the manual is as long as you see the fin in the HUD, wich mean the radar is doing the ranging to target you dont need a QFE settings at all.

Wich mean the basicly 90% of the weapons you use at low altidude doesnt need a correct QFE settings. The only weapons that really need a correct QFE are the BK90.

Correct me if im wrong here anybody?

I have tested it several times now, when I see the fin In the HUD, i can have whatever QFE setting it doesnt effect the bombing at all..

Ill copy what it says in the manual.

Radar ranging. For some weapon modes, when in master mode ANF, the radar will range the distance to the target if the triangulated range is about ≤ 7000 m. In modes DIVEBOMB, ARAK (rocket pods), AKAN A/G (gun pods in air-to-ground) and RB75 (AGM-65) the radar range may be used before trigger unsafe, assuming the bank angle is less than 45°. In LEVEL BOMB the trigger must first be unsafe. If the bank angle is more than 45°, radar ranging is enabled after the aircraft has a bank angle less than 45°. Radar ranging is indicated by the “fin” appearing in the HUD above the sight dot.

The radar will range to the spot that the sight reticule (dot) is aiming at. As the radar will determine more or less the exact distance to the aiming point, yielding far more accurate sight calculations (particularly against inclined ground) than triangulation based on QFE. Radar ranging is thereby preferable than triangulation due to this increased accuracy and greater flexibility with varying terrain elevation. If radar ranging is used, no radar display is shown in the Central Indicator for the duration of its use. Radar ranging can be disabled via the data panel in mode TAKT/IN and inputting address 25 and value 3 (enter 253). Confirm by pressing LS.

Edited by Kristoffer79

Yes that's my understanding as well.

I use a QFE setting procedure I got from another simulator. QNH-MSL=QFE. Engage altitude hold at an even altitude such as 1,000M, then dial the altimeter back until you have subtracted the elevation of the target.

E.g. Level at 1,500m for a target at elevation of 350m. 1500-350=1150m is the current QFE, set it while still in level flight (1500m QNH).

Close enough.

You need QFE for CCIP (high drag bombs, nav, plan). And long range arak. Basically the modes that don't show the radar ranging fin.

You don't need it for BK90, it has a radar altimeter so it will follow terrain.

Legend has it that in a distant past you could set QFE and disable radar altimeter to make BK90 not follow terrain (to hit a target on a steep hill), but this doesn't seem to work anymore. Perhaps it broke when that ED missile API was implemented, along with the selectable altitude. RagnarDa would know, I assume.

You need QFE for CCIP (high drag bombs, nav, plan). And long range arak. Basically the modes that don't show the radar ranging fin.

You don't need it for BK90, it has a radar altimeter so it will follow terrain.

Legend has it that in a distant past you could set QFE and disable radar altimeter to make BK90 not follow terrain (to hit a target on a steep hill), but this doesn't seem to work anymore. Perhaps it broke when that ED missile API was implemented, along with the selectable altitude. RagnarDa would know, I assume.

What i have read is that the BK90 needs the most accurate QFE? But you say that the BK90 doesnt even need QFE? Always so much confusion..:(

So what is right here? Maybe RagnarDa can explain it??

What i have read is that the BK90 needs the most accurate QFE? But you say that the BK90 doesnt even need QFE? Always so much confusion..:(

There's no confusion as to whether it needs QFE. The BK90 will normally use its radar altimeter and respectfully ignore your QFE.

The only confusion is whether it's at all possible to make the weapon use QFE instead of radar altitude.

From the manual:

"Radar altitude will be used for the altitude calculations if the radar altimeter is operating, if not,

the barometric altitude is used."

When testing I cannot get it to use QFE by disabling the radar altimeter. Perhaps the altimeter that is referenced above is the BK90 altimeter, which you can't disable as far as I know.

Edited by Katj

As Katj said. The BK90 doesn't need any altitude input from the aircraft, neither barometric nor radar alt. The BK90 has it's own altitude radar onboard which it uses to deteremine its AGL.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

This is the correct behavior, radar ranging provides a valid slant range regardless of QFE. However, you will find your pre-ranging symbology far more useful if you have an accurate QFE setting. I'd also like to correct Kat that PLAN bombing does use radar ranging. CCIP, Rocket quick mode, and NAV rely on QFE and will not use radar ranging.

As for BK90, accurate QFE can help with the ranging bar, as the in range calculations are done by the CK37 and thus rely on QFE to plot out the appropriate launch zone. The weapon itself, if released in parameters, does not require QFE in order to hit its target.

This is the correct behavior, radar ranging provides a valid slant range regardless of QFE. However, you will find your pre-ranging symbology far more useful if you have an accurate QFE setting. I'd also like to correct Kat that PLAN bombing does use radar ranging. CCIP, Rocket quick mode, and NAV rely on QFE and will not use radar ranging.

As for BK90, accurate QFE can help with the ranging bar, as the in range calculations are done by the CK37 and thus rely on QFE to plot out the appropriate launch zone. The weapon itself, if released in parameters, does not require QFE in order to hit its target.

I wrote that CCIP requires QFE, and gave the settings for CCIP.

I said nothing about plan bombing.