Landing Light

Shadow_1stVFW

This is a dual post.

First, the landing light texture appears to be missing a component (Seen SS bellow)

hoxYpPa.png

Second

A Case Study in landing light position.

I believe the landing light in the harrier is pointed too low. More specifically I think the lighting dynamics in DCS are a bit wonky, but the end result is the landing light needs to be aimed higher. I have always noticed in ED modules, spefically the A-10 and later the hornet that the laninding light was very thin, much thinner than what they are in real life.

wlOWvK3.png

mUlU3iR.png

This was a clue. The harrier landing light, while it has the right lateral displacement (roughly), it is very dim, so dim as to be useless actually.

I have found, based on circumstantial evidence alone, ED must aim their landing lights horizontally at or near the horizon, which gives the light a further range to illuminate in front of you. RAZBAM has realistically aimed their landing light, but is producing a unrealistic result. Thus, the aim point for the landing light should be raised to at or near the horizon.

So I loaded the harrier and hornet into the same night mission and noticed that the harrier landing light did not illuminate the airborne fog effect as far at the hornet did (pay attention to the clouds in the air over the ramp)

8GKYZqz.png

iiZG8l3.png

I also noticed the landing light intersects the ground a lot closer than the hornet's does. Now, I realize there are differences in the lamp position, I understand that. But the difference in where the ray of light hits the ground should not be that pronounced. Not do to a light difference of a few inches. I also recognize that maybe RAZBAM and ED are using different light effects. Quite possible, I can't tell. But judging by the A-10 and the F-18 having very similar if not identical landings lights, there is either one effect and RAZBAM has aimed it differently or there are different effects.

kjMdRbZ.png

MgoElpo.jpg

Lastly, I'll show this, the texture missing gives a good idea of where the light is aiming. You can clearly see the light is aimed slightly down (makes sense in real life). I also know if an A-10 or F-18 with a landing light on behind you points their nose towards your cockpit, your cockpit will be flooded with light (which is why in real life they are aimed down).

79cihbh.png

I summarize, based on completely circumstantial evidence, ED must aim their landing lights at or very near the horizon. Which allows them to illuminate further. RAZBAM has aimed their landing lights realistically, but it is producing an unrealistic result. Thus, RAZBAM should aim their landing light at or near the horizon to achieve a better, more realistic result.

Edited by Shadow_1stVFW

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

I´ve found why the lights are bugged, and is a very simple solution.

In the latest Release version inside DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Textures\AV8BNA, there are two files:

AV8_L1.tga.dds

AV8_L2.tga.dds

Both are related to the taxi-position-beacon lights.

Well, the problem is that in the latest Open Beta version, both files are ONLY named .dds WITHOUT tga.dds format.

So using both files from Release and moving to OB replacing the wrong ones fixes the issue.

So =DECOY=

If you read this pass the issue to developers.

AV8_L1.tga.dds and AV8_L2.tga.dds in the new Open Beta are missing the tga in the file name.

Easy fix, just change file format to tga and add BOTH tga and dds names in the files.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Thanks Esac_mirmidon, thanks to you it took 20 seconds to fix. :thumbup:

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

so for those who just have OB installed, what should the two files be called?

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

hmmn, ive changed the file names to that, still no joy

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

Is not only the name is the file type.

You need the .tga files from Release version. If you dont have the Release give me some time to link both here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

thanks, i feel a few of us will need those files linked :)

DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Textures\AV8BNA

https://mega.nz/#!dB4TiIgB!5YPmaj_W8cfVqYYrycd4LquDzeqHdJfaaZl07RLQnKI

DISCLAIMER: NOT COMPATIBLE WITH INTEGRITY CHECKS

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good morning,

Thanks for the quick help! :thumbup:

Sorry if I say so and I do not want to spread a bad mood now but these are careless mistakes nobody needs … :doh:

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Not just the landing light but beacon & nav lights as well.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Thanks for navigation lights fix but i have additional problem maybe you didnt noticed sun flare in cockpit is to high once you shift external view it is normal. is there a fix to that also. it would be great if someone would have changed all these files with extansion. i hope i can

flare.thumb.jpg.a711eab9226e5fadc85077b6dc400bfe.jpg

97899417_outflare.thumb.jpg.eabe92a6af70dd19d9c7715afcae5437.jpg

Edited by Darthcypher