How do I make my TAD cursor the SPI?

Oceansize

I've got the process of slaving all to where my TGP is pointing down pat, but I am not having the same luck slaving all to where my TAD cursor is pointing. When my _TGP_ is SOI and is in 'Point' mode, I direct it to my target, then hold TMS forward (long) to make it my SPI, then hold China Hat forward (long) to slave all to my SPI. Works like a charm.

However, when my _TAD_ is SOI instead of the TGP and I want to slave all to my TAD cursor, I would have thought the process is the same: put the tad cursor over the spot you want to make SPI (such as JTAC's red diamond 'attack' cursor), then hold TMS forward (long) and then hold China Hat forward (long). You'd think my gbu's or mav's would now be slaved to this point, but they never are.

Am I missing something? I still am kind of dim when it comes to using the 'Mark' or 'Hook' functions and am curious if this has something to do with my TAD targeting frustrations. Basically what I'm trying to do is quickly and easily slave my TGP or weapons to the red diamond 'attack' cursor that I get from JTAC after correct 9-line readback. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ocean

Edited by Oceansize

DCS Millenium Falcon, please. She's got the mother of all pits! P.S. My av should give you an idea of how long I've been simming.

Thanks Nikola. To be clear, is what you're describing called 'hook'ing? I see that pressing the TMS up (short) while in TAD mode is the 'hook' function. I still don't know what 'hook'ing means or is for (in the context of this simulation, that is!!!) :-D

DCS Millenium Falcon, please. She's got the mother of all pits! P.S. My av should give you an idea of how long I've been simming.

"Hook" means to select an Object on the TAD.

However, in order to "hook" an object, there must be one there in teh first place!

Valid objects to hook are:

- Aircraft symbols

- Steerpoint symbols

- transmitted SPI symbols (mini wedding cakes)

-Bullseye symbols

- and , most importantly for you, MARK symbols

Try this,

-Set the TAD as SOI, and slew the cursor to where you are interested.

- set the TAD display to "Mark" display mode (func+8 I think on the UFC...it'll say "mark" on the correct UFC button anyway)

- press TMS-Right_Short , and it will drop a "MARK" symbol on the TAD...this can now be selected as a steerpoint, or made a SPI, to which you can slew your Mav , TGP and HUD designator to.

Good luck!

Try this,

- set the TAD display to "Mark" display mode (func+8 I think on the UFC...it'll say "mark" on the correct UFC button anyway)

- press TMS-Right_Short , and it will drop a "MARK" symbol on the TAD...this can now be selected as a steerpoint, or made a SPI, to which you can slew your Mav , TGP and HUD designator to.

Good luck!

Been flying for months... never knew that.:doh:

Really helpful,:)

Thanks Nemesis...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

• 1 year later...

Watch this guys tutorial, what this dude don't know ain't worth considering!!

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Basically what people are saying is that its a pretty stupid limitation of this otherwise powerful software that you can't use the map cursor to direct the rest of your sensors.

Considering the plethora of options available just for the Hook-To function it seems odd that you couldn't just slave SPI to the TAD cursor when you can do it with the TGP and the MAV (which is a much less useful function as sensor).

It has obvious benefits to do this since if you knew for instance that something was on a road and you wanted to scan it with your TGP you could just slave the TGP, slew across the road or whatever and get a faster track to it. This is solved kind of with a Markpoint but still, its not that helpful if you want to just do a bit of visual reconnaissance.

In the end though if we ever get a block upgrade to our represented A-10 in the sim (unlikely) one day we'd get the Head Mounted Display system which I imagine will let you do all kinds of cool stuff with SPI.

However, what we seem to have right now is still plenty powerful, just sometimes you wish there was just one more thing. :P

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

What you can do is just slew around the TGP, and look at it's diamond on the TAD. But yeah it is a bit weird if you're looking behind you because down and up slewing would be reversed.

SPECS: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.2 Ghz +turboboost enabled, 12 GB DDR3 1600 @ 1500 Mhz, ATI Radeon 5850, TrackIR 5, X52 Pro and Saitek pedals

• 6 years later...
Watch this guys tutorial, what this dude don't know ain't worth considering!!

30 mins watching things I already knew, at a very slow pace, and when he arrives on how to handle mark points, it makes on 1 min, he doesn't even say how to cycle between them, he you says you can do it and he does it ...

And after that even worst, he doesn't even click on the UFC so we can see the cursor, he uses mapped buttons, so he has the TArget in the TGP like by magic ... wasted time that video.

Edited by cercata

And after that even worst, he doesn't even click on the UFC so we can see the cursor, he uses mapped buttons, so he has the TArget in the TGP like by magic ... wasted time that video.

Do you realize that the discussion and the video are 7+ years old and this info was actually helpful back then?

Also, "I would have preferred if..." usually yields better responses than "... total waste of time". Especially when literally everything you talk about (this forum, this thread, Youtube, and the video itself) is given to you 100% free of charge. But hey, that's just my opinion.

30 mins watching things I already knew, at a very slow pace, and when he arrives on how to handle mark points, it makes on 1 min, he doesn't even say how to cycle between them, he you says you can do it and he does it ...

Agree, that time I thought exactly the same.

Agree, that time I thought exactly the same.

Just watch one of Cap's videos on YouTube (Grim Reapers).

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Or if you don't want to watch one of the very good tutorials on YouTube (there are many) - the "in game tutorial" is very comprehensive and covers pretty much all that you need to know about the A10C systems and functionality.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 9 months later...

Try this,

Thank you sir, almost 7 yrs flying the hog and I didn´t know that. :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb