How do I use the speedbrake? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 AM   #11
Dagger71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
The singular point here is that it takes 3-4 seconds to fully extend the speedbrake and the switch must be held until the speed brake is fully extended . DCS models the airflow sound so you can hear when it is fully extended .
As previously noted , the speedbrake will fully retact with only a momentary switch press .

It will also retract with flaps at auto, under other circumstances.
Dagger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 AM   #12
Dagger71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
To avoid any confusion, it's the other way round.
Half = take off
Full = landing

Yes. that is correct. I Did not put in the right order.
Dagger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #13
SnapRoll

Are you using the TARGET software? Your problem might be that your key command is a "pulse" instead of "hold". You need to depress your button until the speed brake is deployed. A "pulse" would only press your button for a few milliseconds. You would not see the difference in the controller setup page in DCS, as even a pulse would just highlight it.

Also be aware that when your gears are out your speed bake auto retracts. when you release the button.

I would first test the behavior with your keyboard...
SnapRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #14
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
The singular point here is that it takes 3-4 seconds to fully extend the speedbrake and the switch must be held until the speed brake is fully extended . DCS models the airflow sound so you can hear when it is fully extended .
As previously noted , the speedbrake will fully retact with only a momentary switch press .
Yep that is the way it works for me.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #15
Preendog

Also note that taking off with auto flaps will screw up your pitch trim.
Preendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #16
Greyman

make sure that you don't have game avionics set in the MISC tab, as that will probably result in you changing one profile, when your aircraft is using a different one.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #17
Crunchy

Great thanks for all the help. I have it working now. Didn't know the speed brake retracts when your gear is down though. Isn't that a bit silly because I always used to land the A10C with the speed brake deployed and the gear down. I felt having the speed brake deployed really helped with landing the A10C.
Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #18
Brun

Presumably it's because the Hornet's gear itself is very draggy. Additional air resistance is unnecessary.

As far as I'm aware you can still extend the airbrake with the gear down, but it requires holding the switch in the aft position.
Brun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #19
KTFBGB

If you are flying on speed AOA during approach, which you are supposed to do, you don’t need the air brake since you are barely above stall speed
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:18 AM   #20
majapahit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preendog View Post
Also note that taking off with auto flaps will screw up your pitch trim.
FA18C seems to be designed to keep autoflap On when taking off, since you're supposed to hit sustained speeds > 250 kts, 350kts for ferry and higher for altitude cruise, your pitch change is less in Auto than in - early - manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
.. Didn't know the speed brake retracts when your gear is down though. Isn't that a bit silly because I always used to land the A10C with the speed brake deployed and the gear down. I felt having the speed brake deployed really helped with landing the A10C.
Not flying like Airforce but like NAVY, you take shortcuts in the pattern which (often enough) means you correct your speed, when gears down, with additional holding of the speedbrake button, nothing wrong with that, the brake auto retract rather a safety design feature I'd guess, try landing fully loaded up (in a crosswind) and notice what happens with your speedbrake out when you cannot know your precise stall speed ..
Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 40" 1080p TV | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen | VR googles
majapahit is offline   Reply With Quote