Is this laptop enough for DCS?

Hello. Since I have had problems with games that officially require less resources than my old laptop has, I want to ask you if the laptop I want to buy is sufficient for DCS (I want to play Wolfpack and IL-2 Great Battles too):

Asus Tuf FX505DU

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H (4x2,3GHz / turbo max 4 GHz)

NVIDIA GTX 1660 TI (6 GB GDDR6)

RAm 8 GB DDR4 2400MHz (I will add another 8 GB of RAM)

256GB SSD

I want to play single player and I do not want to have graphics on max!

I don’t know if this will help but I recently bought an Alienware m17 with an i7 somthing or other and a 1660ti. It’s one of the new ones and I bought it for 3D modelling but I’ve run some games on it (2D and VR) but Not DCS or any other flight sim.

Oh my goodness does it get hot and the fans go nuts, if your flying helicopters it may be seen as more immersive but I don’t like it, it really does sound like it’s getting ready for lift off. As I understand it heat and performance hang out at different ends of the playground and laptops get hot

I honestly wish I’d spent the money on a 2080ti and a reverb for my desktop but hey ho

Edit, just thought I better add by hot I mean the cpu is hitting 100 oC pretty regularly but according to dell that’s to be expected

Edited by Digitalvole

If your situation requires that you MUST play on a laptop , one concern i have with this one is the SSD size . DCS (and i assume the other sims you listed) plays much smoother when installed on an ssd , and installations typically run 100-160 gb . Add to that your other sims , operating system , pagefile and ancillary programs , and you will find yourself running out of room very soon .

I would also recommend thoroughly investigating the Tuf's cooling capacity as that is a common problem with hi-workload sims on laptops , thermal throttling inducing poor performance .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

bigger SSD and you are good to fly SP at medium settings.

256gb wont be enough, even 512 could be a close call

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I don’t know if this will help but I recently bought an Alienware m17 with an i7 somthing or other and a 1660ti. It’s one of the new ones and I bought it for 3D modelling but I’ve run some games on it (2D and VR) but Not DCS or any other flight sim.

Oh my goodness does it get hot and the fans go nuts, if your flying helicopters it may be seen as more immersive but I don’t like it, it really does sound like it’s getting ready for lift off. As I understand it heat and performance hang out at different ends of the playground and laptops get hot

I honestly wish I’d spent the money on a 2080ti and a reverb for my desktop but hey ho

Edit, just thought I better add by hot I mean the cpu is hitting 100 oC pretty regularly but according to dell that’s to be expected

I have read that AMD processors do not heat up so hard, but Intel I7 has this problem. On Asus laptops you need to have a program to slow down the coolers. But they also have the problem with noise. It is unpleasant to have such an expensive laptop and have problems.

If your situation requires that you MUST play on a laptop , one concern i have with this one is the SSD size . DCS (and i assume the other sims you listed) plays much smoother when installed on an ssd , and installations typically run 100-160 gb . Add to that your other sims , operating system , pagefile and ancillary programs , and you will find yourself running out of room very soon .

I would also recommend thoroughly investigating the Tuf's cooling capacity as that is a common problem with hi-workload sims on laptops , thermal throttling inducing poor performance .

I thought about this problem but I think I will buy another 1 TB hdd. On Asus Tuf FX505DU SSD 512GB is maximum and is about 100 euro more expensive. If I buy with 256GB SSD and I will a HDD too where to install Windows?

I can buy a cheaper laptop with HDD 1TB and SSD 256GB but with Nvidia 1650.

I want to add a cooler for the laptop too!

The HDD will not solve your problem at all. You can buy the laptop as it is and EXCHANGE the 256GB SSD with one of 512 or 1TB. That's what I would do if I wanted that laptop.

The cooler will not really help, there is really NOTHING that helps but a cold room with 15°C and a warm jacket, that does help but has it's obvious downsides. Or buy an Asus with detachable watercooling if those are still available for 3-5k€, not a solution either.

Tbh, Laptops and Gaming bite each other when it comes to cooling, and it will come down to that.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have read that AMD processors do not heat up so hard, but Intel I7 has this problem. On Asus laptops you need to have a program to slow down the coolers. But they also have the problem with noise. It is unpleasant to have such an expensive laptop and have problems.

Yeah, that's true, especially since Intel switched to hexa core i7's as pretty much standard in laptops. They still offer the i5 quad core, but it can be usually found only in the lowest configurations. I'm sure that one would fare noticeably better regarding temperature and noise in not too thin laptops compared to hexa core i7.

For example, a thin and light Gigabyte Aero 15 used to have a quad core i7 7700HQ and a 1060 GPU and on one review site the average noise while gaming was in the low 40's (like 42 dBA IIRC which is a pretty good value). Later came an upgrade to hexa core i7 8750h (with the same GPU) and the average noise while gaming jumped to 50dBA (or a bit more) which is rather loud.

AMD surprisingly (even if those mobile CPU's are the older gen on 12nm) heats much less currently (even in quad core ULV CPU's where AMD 3500u or 3700u CPU's keep much higher clocks under load than Intel 8-series ULV CPU's, while having much lower temps).

The Intel CPU's have an advantage in single-core performance, though, especially since these are not the latest AMD tech, but it shouldn't make a big difference (though it would be more noticeable than with a stronger GPU, I think).

Edit: Found a comparison here for FX505 with Intel i5 and AMD 3750h:

https://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-tuf-fx505-review-fresh-but-still-not-fully-polished/

Apparently, even the quad i5 config reaches high temperatures at around 90 degrees even when clocks drop down to around 3.0, while AMD drops down to higher 3.4 clock with the temps somewhat under 70 degrees.

Not sure how high the CPU load is in DCS with a mid range GPU card, but I guess it might be higher than with a higher range GPU and with lower details if the FPS is not limited so these higher temperatures with Intel might be a problem (at least regarding noise) on this model.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Cpu and gpu are looking good. The 1660ti on desktop beats the rx580 and gtx 1060 which can both play dcs all day at good but not max settings. But the problem is ur 1660ti is in a laptop so we dont know how it will fare but it wont be worse than a rx580 i would assume. 256gigs wont cut it tho, it will fill up instantly. Also expect high sound levels. Amd is launching some new mobile cpu called ryzen mobility in the near future. We dont know when. Wait or not is for you to decide. Dont buy a laptop if gaming is the top priority.

Laptops are not as cost effective or as powerful or as quiet as desktops, but if you need portability, they can do fine depending on the configuration and your needs.

E.g. I'm playing DCS on a laptop with a 1080 card on a 4K external monitor and it does pretty well.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!