2.5 and ATC

ac5

Nobody seems to bother, so I thought I have a look at the ATC in 2.5 last version….. And yes, I know it is still beta. And I know that for some planes one should use easy communications off, but if there is an option easy communication, it should work, as it does for about the half of the planes.

All tests made with easy communications and in Nevada, so with mostly payware planes and scenery. The radios obviously always on.

No station reply, not working:

Viggen

BF-109

F-86

FW-190

MIG-21

P-51

Spit

All stations reply, working perfectly:

A-10C

Harrier

F-5

Mirage

Mig-15

SU-25T

Sometimes the text appears in BLACK, and sometimes in WHITE, regardless if it works or not. Does anybody know why?

I believe the atmospheric pressure should be given QNH and not QFE, or am I mistaken? And anyway, it is given completely different for similar height airports, like Nellis and McCarran. Or also depending on which plane you are. Screenshots included.

Please advise….:cry:

Black-Text.jpg.2f045b14ecc7f30f84f7dfcf27b439e6.jpg

White-Text.jpg.b9692bc771f8fb1a70cda497dfbd4055.jpg

QFE-1.jpg.1a1837a28ade41787b64712dd51c5617.jpg

QFE-2.jpg.cb29f594033a621e1cf82523192995e1.jpg

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Did you set the preset radios for the WWII birds correctly? They can't change it so that's maybe why easy communitcation doesn't work with them. Same goes for F-86 and MiG-21. And for the Viggen, are you in a preset channel or not? Maybe also changes if it works or not.

Did you set the preset radios for the WWII birds correctly? They can't change it so that's maybe why easy communitcation doesn't work with them. Same goes for F-86 and MiG-21. And for the Viggen, are you in a preset channel or not? Maybe also changes if it works or not.

Hi, thanks for the reply...

But why does it work with the MIG-15? I mean, easy communication....

And what about the QFE? And the Black and White text?

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Well, I did not change it in-flight with the MIG-15,

so you mean setting the presets radios in ME?

And what about the MIG-21?

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Well, QFE in reality is a lot easier to understand and work with for novice pilots.

Airfields use QNE, because every object on a map is displayed in above sea level height (but they do work with QFE if a pilots requests so)

Having a radar altimeter does negate the need to set a QFE.

So, I am just guessing that it was made like this years ago (as there are no changed from 1.5 and 2.5) and it has just stayed like it is.

An ATC re-work has been rumored and planned for years now, but with lower priority.

The white text compared to the black one, is there to help you see which of the displayed contacts is on your currently set frequency, i.e. if the text is in white you should be able to communicate on that radio with that contact, or at least it used to this way.

A lot of the aircraft use different bands of radio, older ones have only "low" frequency FM for example like the MiG-15. Or they only worked with predefined radios, no manual mode.

If you go to the F10 map and click on an airfield, you should be able to see all the frequencies used by that airfield. Depending on your aircraft, match a frequency you are able to "dial" to.

If your aircraft has more than one radio, make sure that you are using the correct key combination for that radio, and not intercom for example (you only need intercom to contact the ground crew, no need to be set to the TWR freq)

Or maybe it is just because of the AUTO. On the aircraft you see the text in white, does it also say AUTO ?

Are your radios powered ?

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Hi Razo+r and SHaDoW STeP BG,

Well setting the correct frequencies in the ME did the trick,

thank you very much for the help.

Though this has not much to do with what I intend under "easy communication"

but anyway.

No, no "auto" with the white text, but as soon as the right channel is selected,

the Airport to which it refers turns white.

Though, the text appears in BLACK, and sometimes in WHITE, regardless if it works or not.

Anyway... This leaves us with the QFE question. In other simulators I remember, like FSX and X-Plane, the barometric pressure is ALWAYS given by the ATC in QNH (e.G. 2992) because this is a number that you indeed can set on the altimeter. The QFE number can not be set on the altimeter, because it is always out of scale and requires calculations to be "converted" to a number that it can be set on the altimeter (e.G. 2992)...

Is it not so?

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

It's out of scale on Nevada because of much higher elevations there. There should be a new, separate ATC system developed for NTTR map with its elevations and QNH-only procedures as in real life. The current ATC developed for Russian planes and lower elevation bases of Caucasus just won't work there anyway and it's best not to use it at all. There's nothing we can do about it (in terms of modding), as it's hardcoded.

I guess one can just write down elevations of all airports on NTTR, adjust altimeter accordingly in departure place and leave it for destination place - after all, I don't think DCS changes ambient pressure across the map, does it? Thus one could ignore ATC completely.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It's out of scale on Nevada because of much higher elevations there. There should be a new, separate ATC system developed for NTTR map with its elevations and QNH-only procedures as in real life. The current ATC developed for Russian planes and lower elevation bases of Caucasus just won't work there anyway and it's best not to use it at all. There's nothing we can do about it (in terms of modding), as it's hardcoded.

I guess one can just write down elevations of all airports on NTTR, adjust altimeter accordingly in departure place and leave it for destination place - after all, I don't think DCS changes ambient pressure across the map, does it? Thus one could ignore ATC completely.

OK, thanks.....

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

The problem with easy comms is the auto-tune and highlight is they don't always agree what radio and what frequency. This is an issue with aircraft with multiple radios which can satisfy communications.

I can ask Batumi ATC using 4 ways: Auto, VHF AM, UHF, and VHF FM. If I choose UHF then the text reads "F1. Batumi - 131 MHz AM" in black text because the UHF radio isn't tuned to 131 MHz. When you choose the F1 option it will tune UHF to 260 MHz which is the correct UHF frequency for that radio but it still won't change the text color to white because it isn't 131.

If you choose VHF AM or Auto (because Auto is choosing VHF AM) then the text color will turn white when the VHF AM radio is tuned to 131 MHz. So text only goes white when the selected radio is tuned to the dictated frequency (131 MHz). But it will auto tune the selected radio for the proper frequency for that radio. The frequency will be right (e.g. 260 MHz for UHF) but it will still be black text because 260 isn't 131.

But it doesn't work for the VHF FM radio. It should auto-tune FM to 40.4 but it doesn't. So VHF AM works for highlight and auto-tune, UHF only for auto-tune, and VHF FM neither. Fun, huh?

• 8 months later...

Hi! When I contact the ATC for inbound the tower response, but when I request for landing, they don't respond. Someone who has the same problem? The problem has been there for a long time and it's annoying:( I use the correct frequency and it happens with all the airplanes.

And with the Stennis carrier, flying from Mission Editor, the carrier do not respond at all. Why?

-royphsle

F-16C:thumbup:

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Request for landing will work if you're on the assigned approach in the right range of distances...

Thanks for the help, they respond now. As you said, you have to be in the right path, then it works:)...you mean 5nm! It also works with the carrier now, I found that the best frequency to use for respond is 127.500(I found the frequency for the carrier on the forum) strange!

-royphsle

F-16C:thumbup:

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5