Virpil Mongoose or VKB MCG Pro?

The precision that both 32bit VKB/Virpil sticks give is very noticeable over the Warthog/Saitek/CH IMO.

What is this "32 bit" your are talking about?

Is the fact that their (VKB) USB microcontroller is maybe based on ARM32 processor?*

VKB MaRS sensor - for measure axis angular movement can be set in DeVCfg up to 15 bits - but VKB say that value above 12 bits for angle sensor is not manageable by (normal) human hands.

VPC PR say that their iGMR angle sensor is 16 bits (in 360º).

* VirPil use AT90USB646 - an 8 bit microcontroller.

Edited by Sokol1_br

^^ Sorry for the lack of clarity, plus my own misunderstanding of the actual controllers used. After reading into it some more, Sokol's info is all correct so far as I can tell.

The effect is the bottom line though IMO though, and both VKB/Virpil sticks have fare more accurate resolution than any past higher end sticks, and this can be proved by using the various joystick testers IMO as well, where much more accurate test/etc can be done/drawn with the newer sticks.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Would anyone be surprised to know that real fighters digital FBW is only a 6-bit?

^^ Sorry for the lack of clarity, plus my own misunderstanding of the actual controllers used. After reading into it some more, Sokol's info is all correct so far as I can tell.

The effect is the bottom line though IMO though, and both VKB/Virpil sticks have fare more accurate resolution than any past higher end sticks, and this can be proved by using the various joystick testers IMO as well, where much more accurate test/etc can be done/drawn with the newer sticks.

Or think about typical cars controls, mechanically linked with a hydraulic steering assistances and yet even race car drivers doesn't have problems.

Or caterpillar etc operators that does couple millimeter accurate controls from cockpit with very tiny sticks...

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Would anyone be surprised to know that real fighters digital FBW is only a 6-bit?

Yes, becuse if calculated the same way that we do that for joysticks, it would mean only 32 discrete positions between neutral and full deflection, which is very hard to believe.

Maybe it refers to some part of the system, but definitely it is not the "resolution" of controls available to the pilot.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yes, becuse if calculated the same way that we do that for joysticks, it would mean only 32 discrete positions between neutral and full deflection, which is very hard to believe.

Maybe it refers to some part of the system, but definitely it is not the "resolution" of controls available to the pilot.

64 positions.

But when FBW changes input output scale based many other factors like aircraft speed, wing AoA, stick deflection and speed etc it it's more than enough for accurate controls.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

How did it snap? Gimbal broke? I broke mine when i was removing extension which was stuck. I was holding the gimbal with pliers but slipped and the gimbal broke :music_whistling: It was acting weirdly anyway, the gimbal was moving around little bit and i was going to open the whole thing to see what was wrong with it. Just got my T-50 base friday and all i can say is you will love it.

Its the same failure as this chaps video shows, contacted Thrustmaster, they want to sell me a new handle for £96 + shipping, IMPO this should never fail, it should be steel and not cast metal

Anyways VPC on route - woot woot

Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Its the same failure as this chaps video shows, contacted Thrustmaster, they want to sell me a new handle for £96 + shipping, IMPO this should never fail, it should be steel and not cast metal

Alternatives - including in steel (that is not cheap), tested by several users and until now more "bullet proof" that Tm original. ;)

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/debolestis

• 4 months later...
So which is better to buy??You pay customs fees from Europe?

Both are good. Yes, you have to pay custom fees

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

I have a large hotas collection, including several TM WH/Cougars, 2 VKB GF first gens, 1 VBK GF revB new gen, 2 T50, etc etc. It's a very close match between the 2 best options the VKB GF and the Mongoose T50 IMO. I did a quick vid I'll be updating this week with much better quality, lighting, and info/opinion on the 2 sticks a couple months back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGMo5SntuQ&t=3s

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

• 2 months later...

Hello guys.

I have the same dilemma. I dunno which to get. My main demand is the thumb stick to use it to look around. VKB has it, but I read your poor reviews about them... Virpil do not have a thumb stick except for the Delta Constellation. So my question is, did anybody used them for DCS? On the side note I also do not have pedals. So the Delta will take care of this as well. The Virpil are in stock this Saturday. The VKB (probably) on 10-Jan. So what do you guys think? Did anybody used Detla on a flight sim? How is the quality being the cheapest of them all?

I think few people who buy this kind of hardware use thumb stick for views, most have Trackir or VR. Worst case you can use one of the HATs. VKB does not have twist grip, so that's another cost if you don't have pedals.

Haven't seen those bad VKB reviews, if anything, I see more complaints about VPC quality (have some myself). Main complaint about VKB I see is that they are always out of stock.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I can deal with buying pedals in future. I know they do not have twist. Its just I do not want to have anything on my head and also the additional costly equipment. I have used the hats on my previous four sticks but these are very inconvenient for the purpose. I am playing games with gamepads all the time and i find the thumb sticks very nice for look around. So they are my main demand for a flight joystick. So the question is cheaper and easier to get Delta or hard to get and more expensive pedal requiring VKB MCG?

Well, the price difference is noticeable, and that's up to you how much you want to spend, can't help with that.

Also depends on your play style and what you expect from the sim. Delta has a different layout than most real aircraft controls, so it will require some compromises when assigning HOTAS functions. Most noticeable is that it doesn't have any normal pushbuttons. I know the HATs and scroll on the Delta have a 'push' function, but it may feel a bit awkward to use them to drop bombs or fire cannons.

Couldn't decide between the two either, but in the end, after a lot of reading, watching a few video's, I ordered the VKB MCG Pro with the extension. I will order the throttle when it's available as well. Hopefully that F/14 grip will be released in the not too distant future. Good luck with your choice! Either will be great I think.