Stars on 2.5.6?

jasonstory44

Running a Reverb and have never done much night flying at all. The update greatly improved lighting with the exception of the performance hit. I can’t see any stars though. I generally run gamma at 1 but even increasing it I can’t see any. Moon has good lighting. Any suggestions or am I doing something wrong in settings?

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

Weird. Tried to make a mission at 21:00 summer clear skies over Dubai. Maybe the city lights were affecting the sky but no I couldn’t see any even in external view sadly

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Try setting Gamma to a value between 1.8 and 2.2. At 1.0 all lighting, especially with a VR HMD will be unrealistic darkened. DCS uses High-dynamic-range rendering for lighting which opens up the bandwidth for colors, contrasts etc. check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_rendering. There is a simple check for realism, fly at high noon and clear sky, if you can easily look directly into the sun and clearly see it's round shape your gamma is set too low. Think of what happens if you do this in reality, you will burn your retina. If the sun blinds you with a huge glow, you are close to a realistic value.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Weird. Tried to make a mission at 21:00 summer clear skies over Dubai. Maybe the city lights were affecting the sky but no I couldn’t see any even in external view sadly

You were over Dubai, think of the light pollution

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Alec, I’ve always had to keep my gamma low otherwise everything has been too bright and blinding. Even at 1 I can’t look directly into the sun and see it. It’s always made me wonder in the past if it was something unique to my system because I always read other people have had theirs up higher. Anyways I’ll play with that a bit. Maybe 21:00 in summer isn’t deep enough into the night yet. I’ll try later.

And yes I also wondered about light pollution over the city.

Edited by jasonstory44
Spelling

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Alec, I’ve always had to keep my gamma low otherwise everything has been too bright and blinding. Even at 1 I can’t look directly into the sun and see it. It’s always made me wonder in the past if it was something unique to my system because I always read other people have had theirs up higher. Anyways I’ll play with that a bit. Maybe 21:00 in summer isn’t deep enough into the night yet. I’ll try later.

And yes I also wondered about light pollution over the city.

I think it's a Reverb thing, my Reverb is also extremely bright in DCS but fine everywhere else.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

I can’t see a single star anywhere. No matter the gamma setting. Even at midnight with zero weather.

Deleted fxo and metashaders and did a repair.

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

I had no problem seeing stars on my VR flights. The only real issue is that they were "blue". Not sure if thats a reverb thing or a more general problem.

Never saw the moon, though I did see the water reflection of it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yes the moon does look full. Does that matter?

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules