SU-27 vertical scan

Coxy_99

Vertical Scan can't pick up any target without afterburners above 8km. So if target is on idle and launch missile at range ~9-10km there is big chance that your VS lock some missile instead bandit.

BTW i didn't notice any problem with VS. (need check that... who know, maybe...)

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Vertical scan is picking up missiles but not the aircraft every time in vertical scan is this normal? This needs to be looked into.
Its not something new but when it happens frequently then there's something seems not right. But look at bright side, we can use it as troll tool for F-14 launching Phoenix. Couple days ago I made a quick mission against Tomcat BVR 50 miles separated from me (I flied Su-27). I shot down Phoenix in vertical scan mode with Archer. No need crazy maneuver and fancy notching just straight level heading to it. You only need sharp eyes and strong nerves lol.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

• 1 month later...

Are we talking about radar vertical scan or EOS?

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I've always thought EOS detection was a bit strange. I've managed to pick up large (e.g. a tanker) targets at well beyond the range at which they appear on radar yet it fails to find a tail aspect fighter at 20nm that has both burners on.

Not sure what the answer is, but it is vaguely amusing to have your own anti-missile missile system.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I've always thought EOS detection was a bit strange. I've managed to pick up large (e.g. a tanker) targets at well beyond the range at which they appear on radar yet it fails to find a tail aspect fighter at 20nm that has both burners on.

Not sure what the answer is, but it is vaguely amusing to have your own anti-missile missile system.

It has been like that since ......well quite long. Good news is Chizh said they will make some adjustment for Hornet IR signature to be a bit bigger than we have now. So Hornet jockey....be aware lol. As for other modules he leaves that to other 3rd parties dev to decide.

You can read it on Russian forum. It was asked by Teknetenium.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

• 1 month later...
Honestly it’s a pretty good defense against the AIM-9X, since flaring them is like playing the lottery

You can actually learn how to avoid an AIM-9X, a 9g turn with your wings in the same plane as the missile's velocity vector will lead to a miss around 90% of the time. You need to be at cornering speed though. I usually prefer this solution as opposed to flares (which just do not work) and trying to lock the missile with an r-73 (which gets you killed 90% of the time)

Failure is not an option ~ NASA

• 3 weeks later...
It has been like that since ......well quite long. Good news is Chizh said they will make some adjustment for Hornet IR signature to be a bit bigger than we have now. So Hornet jockey....be aware lol. As for other modules he leaves that to other 3rd parties dev to decide.

You can read it on Russian forum. It was asked by Teknetenium.

Yeah the Hornet heat signature is less than a cigar in DCS!