I'm Undecided

BuzzU

This is interesting and I'll just quickly pop my 2 cents worth in. BuzzU I recommend keeping the A-10C and progressing with it. Hey I'm no spring chicken either brother (55) and I completed Battle of Stalingrad IL2 and not long ago purchased Battle of Moscow but since I've started with A-10C a few months back I'm not even interested in anything else. Yes it's not easy as I was kinda spoon fed in the past with DCS SU27 and when I became interested in the A-10C I thought omg I'm never going to learn all this mouse clickable cockpit stuff. I bought a TM HOTAS Throttle and Stick and I tell you it's one of the most rewarding pieces of equipment I've ever bought. The A-10C is a beautiful aircraft to fly and learn in and it's weapons and navigation systems become easier to use the more you practice. And this forum is awesome with lots of helpful peeps here and the Utube support vids like Bunyap Sims On The Range can greatly speed up your learning curve. Choose the A-10C brother and you'll be completing missions, campaigns in no time. I was undecided like you at one stage but now I'll never look back. I personally think the Warthog is worth way more credit than it gets actually and I absolutely love it, yes it's challenging and sometimes even frustrating at times and your bound to get stuck in a mission or two but the fun and rewards are so very much worth it.

Peace, out :o)

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Hi Buzzu, like many complex things one has to learn, the secret is to divide complex stuff in multiple blocks .

Chuck did an excellent guide that can make you combat ready without the need to go deep in every subsystem.

Also one big plus of the a10c is that stuff happens at slow pace so after you learn the basics its a relaxing craft to fly

With the AV-8B and FA-18 coming out you're gonna want to be proficient with using multi-function displays, GPS, targeting pods anyways. May as well jump in the deep end.

...and going mano a mano with a grizzly armed with a Bowie knife sounds like something a Warthog pilot would do, not some cocky fly-boy F-15 pilot.

I should have mentioned I have years flying WW2 planes in IL2. So, the P-51 would take the least amount of work to fly. My biggest problem is my eyesight is not so good anymore and I have a hard time seeing the enemy planes. The F-15 I have some experience in Lock On, but not a whole lot and most is forgotten over the years since I did it. It is simple compared to the A-10C, but a more complex version is supposed to be coming.

The A-10C is new to me and i'd be starting from scratch. I do like the old ugly girl and it would be to learn her. At least my stick is all programmed. One less thing to mess with other than remembering it all.

With previous experience in sims then go all out on the DCS-A-10C you have a great manual in your C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Doc

Also heaps of great YouTube Tutorials to watch and train from here - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dcs-a10c+tutorials&sm=3

Also these links here:-

There is also more info found on the DCS-10C in the Forum then any other air craft plus you have Nevada NTTR Map for target training range as well.

Months and Years of fun for you :thumbup:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

My biggest problem at 74 is my memory. There's so much to remember i'm not sure I can do it. I already read the DCS manual and Chucks too. I've watched tons of Youtube videos. I'm sure I did it the wrong way by reading the whole manual at once and watching all the videos without trying to learn one thing at a time.

I'll have to take a different approach if I decide to fly it. I'm worried that i'll put months of training into it and realize because of memory I can't do it well. I know some will say I won't know if I don't try, but i'm not the type to spend a lot of time on something if I don't think I won't be successful. I'm not being negative. Just realistic.

I haven't given up, but I wanted to let you know why i'm having a hard time deciding.

Buzz

My biggest problem at 74 is my memory. There's so much to remember i'm not sure I can do it. I already read the DCS manual and Chucks too. I've watched tons of Youtube videos. I'm sure I did it the wrong way by reading the whole manual at once and watching all the videos without trying to learn one thing at a time.

I'll have to take a different approach if I decide to fly it. I'm worried that i'll put months of training into it and realize because of memory I can't do it well. I know some will say I won't know if I don't try, but i'm not the type to spend a lot of time on something if I don't think I won't be successful. I'm not being negative. Just realistic.

I haven't given up, but I wanted to let you know why i'm having a hard time deciding.

You are never going to learn this side of sim'g in a day.

However I use to read and watch youtubes and take notes and try things out thats the beauty of learning just have fun.

I might suggest play during the day where there is more light and you can see and read better if that helps.

Or you could join the online squadrons like the - http://www.476vfightergroup.com/forum.php?

Then you can chat online with an IP all that would be required is that you familiarize yourself with the A-10C cockpit.............

preview.jpg

Its up to you of course but your here and intrigued by DCS so just push on and have fun I guess.

751082502_A-10cockpit.thumb.jpg.93d2f66fbd9cf0982a54efaedd448d6d.jpg

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

I can see fine and I understand everything, but the bottom line is I have to remember it all when i'm flying in combat.

I might be fine, but do I want to put in months/years of training to end up having a problem with memory which at my age will only get worse. I just don't want to waste my time if my memory is going to stop me.

That's my decision.

I also have to decide if ground pounding will satisfy my fighter personality.

Buzz

Best thing you can do in this case is to break down everything into smaller portions. The default training missions do a good job on that in my opinion as you don't need to do and remember everything at once, but step by step. Combine this with: Repetition.

Start the training mission on how to ramp start the A-10C. Repeat the mission 5 times. Then create a fast mission where you are on the ground and start the plane by yourself without any help. If you think that it was smooth and you took off without any issues repeat this unassisted start 5 times. Note that I picked 5x arbitrarily, if you feel confident after 2 passes that's fine, if you still feel insecure after 5 passes, no problem. Repeat until you have the confidence.

And from what I have experienced. Your memory will not suffer. On the contrary it can improve. Using one's own brain to remember stuff is a benefit.

• Like 1

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO

Breaking down everything in smaller portions - that is what I would have suggested as well. Nobody can digest it all in one go. Just pick topic by topic - after reading once through the manual to get an overview of what is ahead of you.

And maybe one thing to keep in mind in regards to the memory concerns ... training the brain with stuff like this is maybe just the right thing to do? ;-)

• Like 1

The basic training dlc is an excellent way of learning the a10c startup & shutdown and simple stuff etc. But I can understand if you don't want to add to expense if your not 100% commited to it.

Edited by mastersetter

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Bearfoot..........You hit the nail on the head. I think that's what i'm struggling with. I'm a fighter by nature. I boxed and competed in karate matches when I was younger. Even now at 74 I hunt for bear all alone in the Rockies with a flintlock rifle. One shot that might or might not go off with no backup other than a bowie knife. I guess I need the excitement to really enjoy something.

Can the A-10c scratch that itch, or do I need a fighter?

People still hunt bears in the Rockies? Is that even legal?

Back to the topic, I think you answered your own question for you. I think you will enjoy the F15C more. The A10C is basically the bear. The enemy fighters are the hunters. If you enjoy mud moving, then it's the plane for you. However you will always be the one that is HUNTED never the one to HUNT.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yes, of course, it's legal to hunt for bears. It's how the Department of Wildlife controls them. Right now there's too many bears in Colorado.

Most bear hunting is done sitting in tree stands over bait. I never considered that hunting but just shooting. I stalk them on the ground face to face. Which works out, because bait has been illegal a few years ago.

None of the bear goes to waste when I kill one. Me and my dog eat all the meat. I render down the fat to use for all kinds of things like waterproofing my boots and patch lube for my muzzleloader. The hide is given to my friend who's 100% Lakota Indian. He makes drums from the hide and trinkets from the claws and teeth.

I don't enjoy the killing. I do it for conservation and the challenge and excitement of the hunt. Man has always had an inside desire to hunt for food. I also hunt for elk for the same reasons. Food and control of the herds. I use no tricks like calls, cameras etc. I try to give them every chance to beat me. I sneak up on them which is difficult with their sharp senses.

I wish more people would understand that hunting is much more humane than letting the herds get too big. Starving is not a good way to die. High numbers of bears and mountain lions are bad for humans, deer fawns, elk calves etc. All the newborns get eaten. Everybody suffers when the wildlife isn't controlled.

Buzz

Thanks for that quick writeup BuzzU. Where I'm from, Bears (Brown Bears, related to your US Grizzly Bears) are also indigenous, however they are nearly extinct and exist only in very small numbers in the wild.

Most of the hunters over here hunt deer and boar, specially bred on special hunting grounds, from tree stands.

Back to the topic: So you gonna try and get on with the A10C?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thanks for that quick writeup BuzzU. Where I'm from, Bears (Brown Bears, related to your US Grizzly Bears) are also indigenous, however they are nearly extinct and exist only in very small numbers in the wild.

Most of the hunters over here hunt deer and boar, specially bred on special hunting grounds, from tree stands.

Back to the topic: So you gonna try and get on with the A10C?

Let me touch a little on the bears. Colorado has no more grizzlies. I'm hunting black bears, but they can get up to the 500-600lbs. I did hunt grizz when I worked a gold claim with a buddy in Alaska. Grizz were too easy to hunt. they don't run away like black bears do when they see me or catch my scent.

Attacks are different too. You can play dead in a grizz attack and it will stop. With a black they'll never stop, because they want to eat you. The best defense is to fight them. Og course a grizz will eat you too under the right circumstances.

Ok, back to the A-10.

Buzz

On the other hand,

for us "grey" folks you cant beat a slow Helicopter like the Mi-8.

Yes, beat me, it's totally contrary but I am sure you would also love that one.

The Ka-50 is also unique, less demanding when flying but similar to the A-10c with MFD's and Computers, tho it is not that intense as the A-10c is.

*Helicopter Pilots are highly welcome on BF...nothing moves without us rotary guys :P

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Bearfoot..........You hit the nail on the head. I think that's what i'm struggling with. I'm a fighter by nature. I boxed and competed in karate matches when I was younger. Even now at 74 I hunt for bear all alone in the Rockies with a flintlock rifle. One shot that might or might not go off with no backup other than a bowie knife. I guess I need the excitement to really enjoy something.

Can the A-10c scratch that itch, or do I need a fighter?

I think the ideal aircraft for you will be the F/A18C Hornet when it releases. ITl satisfy both ground pounding ( smart munitions included) and air to air needs. The variation being modeled it too will be a 21st century iteration of the aircraft considering ED have confirmed AlTflir TPG, Aim9x and HMCS. ( refer to F/A18C OFC 13 Lot 20 CHIt chat thread)

But until then A10C could still be worth learning. its handling characteristics are simple, and it still rewarding to learn. Even if you want to focus on one aircraft, Learning the A10C will probably make you more familiar and more comfortable with modern GPS navigation, electronics such as Multi functions displays, and employing precision guided munitions, which will make you feel more at home in something like the Hornet. ( unless you have prior simulation experience flying a payware modern 4th generation era aircraft in FSX or that 'specific" F16 Sim which cannot be named here)

technically in some regards Hornet may feel like it will have have more learning since it will include A2A /A2G radar modes among some other things , But startup procedure itself should be simpler, and because it is a more automated aircraft compared to the A10.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

... or that 'specific" F16 Sim which cannot be named here)

It can't? :lol:

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO