72"

Reflected

I guess I only fly against "bad enemy targets" :music_whistling:

Or you loose more than you admit to yourself ;3

Realy though, I you will see an increase in survivability in the Mustang if you go WEP.

With WEP you are faster than the 109 even at SL with around 5 kph or more if the 109 pilot is bad with rudder coordination. With 61'hg you are slower. So you can't go home :) You have to fight for sure. That means you are on his terms.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use WEP nearly always during combat, and last time I've lost my engine was maybe a month ago. If you keep your speed high and at low altitude use emergency rich mixture, you can run 67'hg without much problem for a long time. Without WEP. With bad enemy target's it is easy to wing without WEP, but when a guy knows more than how to fly straight WEP is mandatory.

Also, there is a reason why 44-1 150oct fuel was used for 72' and 75' boost. You cannot run the engine with 100/130oct fuel and go that high on boost, 67' is max.

So you use emergency rich mixture? I've never tried that before, does it help? When going wep I just always leave the mixture alone, I never thought to mess with it.

So you use emergency rich mixture? I've never tried that before, does it help? When going wep I just always leave the mixture alone, I never thought to mess with it.

I noticed that it cools down the engine better. But use it only around under 3000m or less. Otherwise you will get lower power output as with increased altitude you need more air in the mixture and the engine starts to choke on itself. But overheating also is non existant at that altitude with mixture to RUN if you keep your speed up.

That is from my own experience.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

I noticed that it cools down the engine better. But use it only around under 3000m or less. Otherwise you will get lower power output as with increased altitude you need more air in the mixture and the engine starts to choke on itself. But overheating also is non existant at that altitude with mixture to RUN if you keep your speed up.

That is from my own experience.

Thanks for the tip Solty, tried this today, worked great for me! It really does cool the mustang's engine faster. Managed to bag myself 2 109s and 1 190 in the ACG server earlier today. The 109 was trying to run, but I was indeed using WEP and I was able to catch it after sometime.

Thanks again Solty, hope to see you arround the servers :thumbup:

PC Specs: RTX 2070 (8GB) + I5-9600K + 32GB RAM.

Stuff for the sim: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS + TFRP Rudder pedals, Track IR5.

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

Maps: Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy 1944 + WWII Assets Pack.

Campaigns: A10C:The Enemy Within.

I am currently flying the 51 a lot, its really a fun plane. Thanks for the tip, with emergency rich mixture I didnt overheat at WEP at all. Before that I always tried to open the radiators manually a bit, have you tried that as well?

Btw is there any delay fuse settings for the bombs I dont know of? I lost my tail controls twice today when low level bombing..

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Or you loose more than you admit to yourself ;3

Realy though, I you will see an increase in survivability in the Mustang if you go WEP.

With WEP you are faster than the 109 even at SL with around 5 kph or more if the 109 pilot is bad with rudder coordination. With 61'hg you are slower. So you can't go home :) You have to fight for sure. That means you are on his terms.

Forum tough guy act once again. Feel free to visit the DoW server any time and you can see first-hand how many losses I incur or lets set up a friendly duel sometime and tell me your expert opinion of my capabilities. Admitting you use WEP 100% of the time is nothing to be proud of.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I am using my airplane to its maximum potential, or rather trying to. Also I am not afraid so say that I loose quite a lot. It is the part of the game. Nobody should feel ashamed that they lost. Also, you play with your rules on your server and your mission. How is that something to be "proud" off? And sure we can duel. I would love to. Maybe I can learn some more. :3

Edited by Solty
  • Like 1

My channel:

I am using my airplane to its maximum potential, or rather trying to. Also I am not afraid so say that I loose quite a lot. It is the part of the game. Nobody should feel ashamed that they lost. Also, you play with your rules on your server and your mission. How is that something to be "proud" off? And sure we can duel. I would love to. Maybe I can learn some more. :3

I think the reason you lose is because there is no 72" yet.

Forum tough guy act once again. Feel free to visit the DoW server any time and you can see first-hand how many losses I incur or lets set up a friendly duel sometime and tell me your expert opinion of my capabilities. Admitting you use WEP 100% of the time is nothing to be proud of.

I don't understand. What's wrong with using 100% of the engine power available to your plane when you need it? Should I dogfight in the F-15 without employing the afterburner? Should german fighters fly with mw50 tanks empty?

I am currently flying the 51 a lot, its really a fun plane. Thanks for the tip, with emergency rich mixture I didnt overheat at WEP at all. Before that I always tried to open the radiators manually a bit, have you tried that as well?

Btw is there any delay fuse settings for the bombs I dont know of? I lost my tail controls twice today when low level bombing..

I find fiddling with radiators realy time consuming and easy to forget that it is closed/open. I am bad at that, thefore prefer it automatic. But I also think that opening radiators even more than automatic means too much drag and not realy gives you any benefit from using WEP.

Thanks for the tip Solty, tried this today, worked great for me! It really does cool the mustang's engine faster. Managed to bag myself 2 109s and 1 190 in the ACG server earlier today. The 109 was trying to run, but I was indeed using WEP and I was able to catch it after sometime.

Thanks again Solty, hope to see you arround the servers thumbup.gif

Sure no problem. The more aware P-51 community the better. I've learned that fact from t4ouble, when we flew together once and tried to push it farher. I am able to more reliably leave the enemy behind.

Cya on the MP.:pilotfly:

My channel:

I've noticed that the auto-oil-cooler system doesn't seem to work like it used to. In a climb the engine temperature can be almost redline, but you can open the oil cooler more and bring the temps to the green zone.

Going manual for the oil cooler seems to help with the engine management.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I find fiddling with radiators realy time consuming and easy to forget that it is closed/open. I am bad at that, thefore prefer it automatic. But I also think that opening radiators even more than automatic means too much drag and not realy gives you any benefit from using WEP.

:

I actually I fly with them Open 100% of the time, automatic radiators have killed my engine a lot already, and I don't really notice more drag with them open. In the Fw190D9, yeah sure, but the P51D and 109's radiator create almost no drag at all.

PC Specs: RTX 2070 (8GB) + I5-9600K + 32GB RAM.

Stuff for the sim: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS + TFRP Rudder pedals, Track IR5.

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

Maps: Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy 1944 + WWII Assets Pack.

Campaigns: A10C:The Enemy Within.

I wasn't attacking you. Sorry if I came across like that. I think you hit my competitive "nerve" :joystick: All I really wanted to know was if anyone is seeing any ill effects of using WEP these days. (Aside from heat issues of course) If not, then by all means, use it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I use WEP nearly always during combat, and last time I've lost my engine was maybe a month ago. If you keep your speed high and at low altitude use emergency rich mixture, you can run 67'hg without much problem for a long time. Without WEP. With bad enemy target's it is easy to wing without WEP, but when a guy knows more than how to fly straight WEP is mandatory.

Also, there is a reason why 44-1 150oct fuel was used for 72' and 75' boost. You cannot run the engine with 100/130oct fuel and go that high on boost, 67' is max.

Out of curiosity, what factors can cause the P51's engine to suddenly seize? Of course overheating is a big factor, but anything else? I've been at 67" for less than 2 mins and have had a sudden stop. All temps in the green. Was this just bad luck? Does outside ambient temperature play a role? This was during a cold day on the ACG server. I was not using emergency rich.

• 3 weeks later...

A P51D or K running at 61-67" and 3000 RPM should slow down 10-12 MPH with the coolant and oil door in auto in my experience. That is why we put a water spray-bar system in front of the coolant and oil radiators to keep the doors closed and the cooling drag low(Keeps doors closed).

Will Whiteside

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.

Yeah the 51 is a good bit slower with the doors open all the time.

But...

It's also a good bit more catastrophic mechanical failure prone with them closed :).

Pick your poison.

You can learn a LOT about the WWII planes engine management systems by racing them.

[ame]

[/ame]

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 1 month later...
Out of curiosity, what factors can cause the P51's engine to suddenly seize? Of course overheating is a big factor, but anything else? I've been at 67" for less than 2 mins and have had a sudden stop. All temps in the green. Was this just bad luck? Does outside ambient temperature play a role? This was during a cold day on the ACG server. I was not using emergency rich.

Cold day huh? I would assume it could have a bit to do with too high oil pressure. During taxi and take off watch for your oil pressure. Do not go over half throttle before it stabilises at "green". It might be the reason your engine has failed later during the mission. Other than that, battle damage.

My channel:

I have read many different stories about 75", between 72" and 75", and 72". So what is the deal here? What is high octane fueled Mustang truly capable of? 72" or 75"?

Both, and even more. Up to 81'hg which is what British used, for example to chase V-1's. 81'hg is basically 25lbs in British nomenclature.

But it seems that 8th AAF used 72'hg to have more power but didn't wanted go 75'hg (safety I guess). Yet there are reports of 75'hg usage by P-51 pilots.

My channel:

Cold day huh? I would assume it could have a bit to do with too high oil pressure. During taxi and take off watch for your oil pressure. Do not go over half throttle before it stabilises at "green". It might be the reason your engine has failed later during the mission. Other than that, battle damage.

Just so I'm clear, this is actually modeled in the game? So if the oil pressure is too high during takeoff, that in effect makes the engine more prone to seizing during battle 15-20 minutes later? If so, that is pretty cool, but it probably is one of the reasons why I blow my engine frequently...

If you wait for minimal oil teperature for take off, it is 40°C, oil pressure will not be too hight and you will not have problem.

If you start like in "WT" you have problem...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Just so I'm clear, this is actually modeled in the game? So if the oil pressure is too high during takeoff, that in effect makes the engine more prone to seizing during battle 15-20 minutes later? If so, that is pretty cool, but it probably is one of the reasons why I blow my engine frequently...

Ummm... this IS a simulation. You'll do well to think of it as one of those simulators that military and commercial pilots use to train for real-world situations, because that's really what it is.

You can play with anything if you have imagination enough to figure out how to play with it. Although we often talk about 'playing' this 'game', it is, and will remain a simulation first.

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I actually I fly with them Open 100% of the time, automatic radiators have killed my engine a lot already, and I don't really notice more drag with them open. In the Fw190D9, yeah sure, but the P51D and 109's radiator create almost no drag at all.

We, our group manually opens the to 100% before we take off. The auto system doesn't work correctly and it's one of quite a few things that I hope they fix, even if its just in the more appropriate European P51 they are bringing us.

On a side note, it baffles me that all this time and work is spent on rare WW2 aircraft instead of more common ones.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals