Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

AlaskanGrizzly, I just sent you the latest crash log for today that occurred after I updated to the latest. same DCS crash as before. Thanks for any help sir.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Hi - great application, very handy thanks! As a VR user having the right information available on the kneeboard is critical...as you can imagine!

One point thou - for DCS 2.0 & Nevada I noticed the app automatically defaulted to just 'DCS' in the Saved Games folder and installed all its info/Data etc in there...including any kneeboards you build. Subsequently they are not working at Nevada. I had to manually move the F-15C folder for example over to a Kneeboard folder in the DCS.openalpha folder in Saved Games.

Is this normal? Perhaps have an option to select what install you have/are using so it installs the kineeboards in the correct locatoin. No major just thought I would mention it.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi - great application, very handy thanks! As a VR user having the right information available on the kneeboard is critical...as you can imagine!

One point thou - for DCS 2.0 & Nevada I noticed the app automatically defaulted to just 'DCS' in the Saved Games folder and installed all its info/Data etc in there...including any kneeboards you build. Subsequently they are not working at Nevada. I had to manually move the F-15C folder for example over to a Kneeboard folder in the DCS.openalpha folder in Saved Games.

Is this normal? Perhaps have an option to select what install you have/are using so it installs the kineeboards in the correct locatoin. No major just thought I would mention it.

You can select your DCS installation using Options->Preferences.

• Like 1

Since I updated to 1.6.9.8, kneeboard builder breaks all my clickable cockpits and the kneeboard settings (position, size etc) for the FC3 planes doesn't stick with the exception of A-10A which is working as expected.

Log attached, scroll down and you can see the errors as I jump between different modules.

EDIT: saw your earlier post re: Lite mode, will give it a whirl

SECOND EDIT: Nope, didn't work. Even ran a DCS cleanup then repair.

log.zip

Edited by Dehuman
learned to read

You can select your DCS installation using Options->Preferences.

Thanks for the reply! My humble apologies - I had noticed that and had selected the open alpha option, but I can't have selected 'Save' from down the bottom of the screen.

Just went back selected open alpha again and saved, and rebuilt my F-15C Kneeboard and worked a charm - thanks!

Seriously, this app is a life saver for VR users :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well not exactly sure what I did (I did everything short of re-install DCS, and none of that worked) but after leaving it for a little while and flying some missions with default kneeboard :cry: I gave it another shot and hey presto! all is well again.

Nvm

Edited by VampireNZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The fix for that right now is:

1) Put Kneeboard Builder in 'lite mode' (Options -> Preferences -> Use Lite Mode) This will remove all of the old backup files.

2) Repair DCS World

3) Take Kneeboard Builder out of 'lite mode'. This will create new backup files using the correct newly updated files.

Everything should work normally after that.

I will try to improve the Kneeboard Builder logic to prevent these problems in the future, but until then it appears it will be best practice to put Kneeboard Builder in 'lite mode' before running a DCS update.

I'm impatiently waiting your new update that It will fix this problem. While I let Kneeboard Builder on standby.

Thanks You AlaskanGrizzly.

DCS Wishlist:

• DCS: A-10C 2: new suite, flight and system improvements. fix no real things. To include new features. Some real love.

I think he meant "Patiently" considering your generosity. I also am patiently waiting a response back from the crash log I sent 4/18. I would love to get this kneeboard back. Thank you kindly sir.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I think he meant "Patiently" considering your generosity. I also am patiently waiting a response back from the crash log I sent 4/18. I would love to get this kneeboard back. Thank you kindly sir.

No man, I meant "impatintly". :smilewink:

DCS Wishlist:

• DCS: A-10C 2: new suite, flight and system improvements. fix no real things. To include new features. Some real love.

I know that, how much did you pay for this app?

Good luck with that position, especially with a free service you are taking a demanding position on. I was trying to help you out by pointing that fact out. your on your own, and your welcome,,,,

Although the other issue I sent you a crash log on is still open, I discovered another issue today. I setup the Kneeboard for the Huey for the 1st time, and went into instant action and there was no cockpit. I could see everything in front of the Huey though. I backed out and put Kneebuilder in Lite mode and then all was well except the kneeboard would not got to the position I set. I did do a DCS repair for Open Beta, but same results.

• 2 weeks later...

any thoughts on this AlaskanGrizzley?

I have the same problem. All the Huey from just aft of the pilots seat is missing. However I have the same problem in some other aircraft also, but not, for example, the A-10C.

In my case, removing all mods and running a repair fixes it, but running Kneeboard Builder brings it back. I am currently searching for the problem, and have found that something is changing the last line in the file mod/users/username/Uh-1H/cockpit/drive_init.lua. I have still to finally identify the root cause.

I'd be interested in Alaskan Grizzly's views.

I'm sorry if the answer to this problem has already been given, but I just installed Keenboard Builder and everything works fine, except the resizing of the keenboard window. I can place it where I want it, but not resizing it. My plan was to use Chuck's guides in the kneeboard, since the contain lots of helpful info for people starting up with a new aircraft, but they show up distorted, even though I configured it correctly in the Kneeboard Settings window.

What can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

It just crashes as soon as I start it,

I installed to desktop so no security issues.

I have got a fresh download. Still crashes.

I clicked 'Update'. Surprised it updated it when the download should be latest. Still crashes.

Windows 10.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but when you get to 80 pages it is not practical to read everything :-)

**EDIT** Seems that even installed to desktop, it needs to be run as Admin.

Edited by Roblex

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

• 2 weeks later...

Gostscript error on import

Hmm.. I seem to be the only one with this issue..

Running Win10.

Installed Kneeboard Builder NOT in Programs folders.

Upon launch = crash

Launch with admin privileges YES

Trying to import PDF I get a Ghostscript error.....

Anyone else with this problem?

I am using VR and would loooove to have checklist, PIF etc on my knee (as in the ol'days. ;) )

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

I think AlaskinGrizzley may have taken a vacation on this? There are other in queue above you like myself who have unresolved issues. We will have to be patient.

Roger that. I guess that when you work for free you are entitled to take it at your own pace....

...edited post: I tried to install it on my travel rig, a gaming laptop... and there it works.. could it be something with the permissions setup in windows itself?? being a MAC man I lost track of windoooze years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by VampireOne

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Roger that. I guess that when you work for free you are entitled to take it at your own pace....

...edited post: I tried to install it on my travel rig, a gaming laptop... and there it works.. could it be something with the permissions setup in windows itself?? being a MAC man I lost track of windoooze years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the absence. My wife was in an accident and I have been busy with real life for the last several weeks.

Could you e-mail (s13solutions@gmail.com) me your windows logs after you try running Kneeboard Builder?

For windows 8 / 10:

right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

To save your all events: right click on application -> save all events as -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

To save a single event: right click on the event(s) you want to save -> save selected event -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that man. Hope everything is Ok with regards to your wifes accident.

Take your time and take care of your loved ones. We can wait.

As it has already been said, we are not paying for this excellent software so no worries. :)

Fix it when you can. We'll still be here :D

SD

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]