Controls question regarding using DLC on landing approach....

Spirit X

I don't have a spare axis available for the DLC wheel so I've bound DLC forward and aft to the keyboard. This works fine for using the maneuver flaps during general flight, I press 'aft' for a second or two and the flaps come down and stay there.

However, when coming in to land I put my gear down and full flaps down, then I activate the DLC to get the 'lift control' function active. At this point if I press 'aft' (for example), I will gain lift but as soon as I release my 'aft' button, the DLC system returns to neutral and doesn't stay where I've put it....rendering the DLC system useless in this circumstance.

Just wondered if there's any solution to this that I haven't thought of so that those of us using DLC on key-binds can still use the DLC properly when landing? Apparently it makes landing a lot easier if you don't need to use the stick for pitch control.

I believe in the jet it's comparable to an analogue axis, but it is spring-loaded, so on release it will return to centre.

I think most of us with a HOTAS (except those with the F-14 sticks of course) have DLC bound to forward/aft on a hat switch and "blip" it during the approach with small activations as required. Same as what you're doing with the keyboard.

I think you're suggesting toggling DLC in a particular direction, for it to remain there until change, and iirc there is not a binding for that. The solution might be outside of DCS, virtual joystick software or something.

To quote a former Tomcat pilot:

“Bang twice, no more no less, never thrice and never just once. Twice it shall be if needed at all to fly the ball…”

This means you are not supposed to use it like an axis, i.e. keep it deflected from the neutral position to maintain glideslope. It should only be used for short corrective action.

To quote further:

"Fly the pass with throttles for glideslope control. DLC is not designed for use throughout the approach..."

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Just wondered if there's any solution to this that I haven't thought of so that those of us using DLC on key-binds can still use the DLC properly when landing? Apparently it makes landing a lot easier if you don't need to use the stick for pitch control.

Hi,

You can use an axis to DLC. You said that you don't have any axis left, so just use a modifier button during land to engage an axis that you are using for a different function to be a DLC axis.

If you are interested and have no idea on how to do it, reply this and I can show you on how to do it with a step by step.

For example: if your joystick has 3 axis, with a modifier they become 6.

Good suggestion thanks but at the moment I don't have a HOTAS available so just using an old Cyborg Evo. It just has the one throttle axis and I don't want to start messing with a modifier on that or I imagine that will make landing much more difficult rather than easier.

Good suggestion thanks but at the moment I don't have a HOTAS available so just using an old Cyborg Evo. It just has the one throttle axis and I don't want to start messing with a modifier on that or I imagine that will make landing much more difficult rather than easier.

Use the side buttons on the base for DLC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gibo,

Here is what you going to do:

1 – Go to options – controls, chose the plane that you want and click in modifiers:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12123

2 – On the next screen press ADD:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12124

3 – I saw that your joystick does not have many buttons, so I suggest you to use a key on your keyboard, but you can also use a joystick button for this.

On device name select Keyboard:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12125

4 – Now you have to select a key that will only be used as a modifier and for no other function on the plane:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12126

5 – Now go to Axis Commands and select an Action to add an Axis.

In this case I have add an Axis for Zoom View:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12127

6 – Select a new action to add an Axis.

In this case I’ve selected DLC/Maneuver Flaps Retract. Choose add modifier and select the modifier button that you have created and select the same axis that you have used on the last example:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12128

How to use:

In the game, I use the selected Axis to zoom in and out. When I want to use the DLC I press the modifier once and the axis starts to control the DLC.

If I want to zoom in I have to press the modifier once again and now the axis go to zoom mode.

That’s it.

Hope I could Help.

Hi Gibo,

Here is what you going to do:

1 – Go to options – controls, chose the plane that you want and click in modifiers:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12123

2 – On the next screen press ADD:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12124

3 – I saw that your joystick does not have many buttons, so I suggest you to use a key on your keyboard, but you can also use a joystick button for this.

On device name select Keyboard:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12125

4 – Now you have to select a key that will only be used as a modifier and for no other function on the plane:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12126

5 – Now go to Axis Commands and select an Action to add an Axis.

In this case I have add an Axis for Zoom View:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12127

6 – Select a new action to add an Axis.

In this case I’ve selected DLC/Maneuver Flaps Retract. Choose add modifier and select the modifier button that you have created and select the same axis that you have used on the last example:

picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=12128

How to use:

In the game, I use the selected Axis to zoom in and out. When I want to use the DLC I press the modifier once and the axis starts to control the DLC.

If I want to zoom in I have to press the modifier once again and now the axis go to zoom mode.

That’s it.

Hope I could Help.

Many thanks! I'll try that as soon as I can.